Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you know how you can tell which side of the car its fuel cap is on?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 10:42 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Do you know how you can tell which side of the car its fuel cap is on?

No apologies if this is a SIAL as I've been away

Anyway, I picked this little gem of info up from this weeks Autocar and in 46 years I swear it had never occurred to me, to my other half (age 47), my Dad (age 71) and his mate (49), a used car dealer.

If you look at the petrol pump symbol on the petrol gauge on the dash, whichever side of the pump the fuel filler hose is on is the side that the fuel cap of the car is on

So far we have between us checked our cars, all the cars in our car parks and every other car we have seen. They all check out

Amazing huh?

It's a bit like that other little gem in watch adverts where the hands are at either ten to two or ten past ten, or thereabouts

Cool huh?
Old 24 May 2010, 10:43 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

"Proper" British cars are apparently supposed to have it on the left, so if you are driving cheap imported tat, its probably on the right
Old 24 May 2010, 10:44 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

My old classic was the opposite of this. Fuel gauge was on the left but filler was on the right.
Old 24 May 2010, 10:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
My old classic was the opposite of this. Fuel gauge was on the left but filler was on the right.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On another note

Why do people insist on drawing up to a pump ONLY when the filler is next to the pump

its got a fuel line that long for a reason !
Old 24 May 2010, 11:06 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

to make life easier for the rest of us
Old 24 May 2010, 11:06 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpb
On another note

Why do people insist on drawing up to a pump ONLY when the filler is next to the pump

its got a fuel line that long for a reason !
because I don't want to chance scratching my paint on the fuel line.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:08 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

That rule of thumb is incorrect. I was told that a while back but have since found plenty of cars that don't conform.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:13 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
because I don't want to chance scratching my paint on the fuel line.
or your finger nail gloss
Old 24 May 2010, 11:40 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

isn't the rule of thumb to do with what side of the road the car was designed for

for safety reasons you do not want to be filling the car with your **** in the slow lane of the motorway -- hence why European cars have them correct for Europe and Jap cars have the correct for the UK
Old 24 May 2010, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was mentioned on here I think, but I have seen a few on which it is not true.

Les
Old 24 May 2010, 11:58 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
That rule of thumb is incorrect. I was told that a while back but have since found plenty of cars that don't conform.
This.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:57 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

In the Mini Cooper S I had there was a petrol pump symbol on the dash with a little arrow pointing to the side with the fuel filler cap.
Old 24 May 2010, 01:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
No apologies if this is a SIAL as I've been away

Anyway, I picked this little gem of info up from this weeks Autocar and in 46 years I swear it had never occurred to me, to my other half (age 47), my Dad (age 71) and his mate (49), a used car dealer.

If you look at the petrol pump symbol on the petrol gauge on the dash, whichever side of the pump the fuel filler hose is on is the side that the fuel cap of the car is on

So far we have between us checked our cars, all the cars in our car parks and every other car we have seen. They all check out

Amazing huh?

It's a bit like that other little gem in watch adverts where the hands are at either ten to two or ten past ten, or thereabouts

Cool huh?
You've made me go out and check mine now, its a BMW Mini Cooper and the filler pipe is on the wrong side! I have only had the car for 5 years!

Les
Old 24 May 2010, 01:35 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

What's the point? Never been a problem! Why do people hang around waiting for a pump that matches their side to be free?
If you have a 'normal' sized car every petrol station I have used have fuel lines that reach across to the other side of the car.
Am I missing something here?

BTW those wire crates they have in supermarkets that hold the milk. The shelf sections have hinges that lift up so you can get to the milk on the next shelf down so you don't have to reach into them to get your milk.

These little things annoy me. Anyone else have little pet annoying things that other people do that drive them mad?
Old 24 May 2010, 01:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisowe
In the Mini Cooper S I had there was a petrol pump symbol on the dash with a little arrow pointing to the side with the fuel filler cap.
My 64 Cooper S does not need that symbol

Old 24 May 2010, 02:06 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
What's the point? .

These little things annoy me. Anyone else have little pet annoying things that other people do that drive them mad?

People who park their trollies in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket, and those numpties who don't have a clue yet still use the self scan checkouts.
Old 24 May 2010, 02:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
What's the point? Never been a problem! Why do people hang around waiting for a pump that matches their side to be free?
If you have a 'normal' sized car every petrol station I have used have fuel lines that reach across to the other side of the car.
Am I missing something here?
I prefer not to drag a pipe with gravel stuck on it over the back of the car and they don't always reach. I was in a tesco garage once and they refused to turn the pump on for some one with a disco because he was having to yank it so hard to get it in his filler hole
Old 24 May 2010, 02:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I prefer not to drag a pipe with gravel stuck on it over the back of the car and they don't always reach. I was in a tesco garage once and they refused to turn the pump on for some one with a disco because he was having to yank it so hard to get it in his filler hole
Watched many a numpty at work do the same with the self service vaccums

Had a few of them step back at the end, notice the scratches and then try and blame the car wash
Old 24 May 2010, 03:03 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My fuel gauge simply says "Benzina" and doesn't have a picture of a fuel pump on it. How am I supposed to work it out?
Old 24 May 2010, 03:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

This was an urban myth exposed in the Sunday papers yesterday
Old 24 May 2010, 05:06 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-decades.html

Quote:

Both Mr Sutcliffe and his mother-in-law were, it seems, taken in by an urban myth.

Every manufacturer The Mail on Sunday contacted said the pump handle on the fuel gauge graphic bears no relation to where the petrol cap is located.

But the good news is that many modern cars do have a little-known indicator on the dashboard - in the form of a small arrowhead on the petrol pump graphic, pointing to which side the cap is on.

Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota and Nissan all said their modern vehicles had such an indicator.

Vauxhall said all models built in the past two years have an arrow but added that the petrol cap always sits on the driver’s side in their vehicles anyway.

Audis and BMWs do not have an indicator as standard, but again say it is always on the driver’s side - except in BMW Minis.

Citroen and Peugeot do not have a graphic, and the cap can be found on either side of their cars. The manufacturers’ responses disprove another common, but mistaken, belief: that the cap is on whatever would be the passengers’ side in a car’s main market, so drivers could safely fill up from a jerry-can at the side of the road, away from passing traffic.

On discovering the truth about his urban myth, 41-year-old Mr Sutcliffe was disappointed – but said it was about time car manufacturers did introduce a universal indicator.

He said: ‘I was certain I had come across a golden nugget of information which would make the life of every motorist so much easier.

Last edited by MMT WRX; 24 May 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 24 May 2010, 05:36 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cant say Ive ever had an issue. If you have an internal release button then just check your wing mirrors to see which side opened

Simon
Old 24 May 2010, 05:49 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

My dash has 'FUEL DOOR' with an arrow pointing to which side it is on. I think this gem plus the BRIGHT stalk is what gives Subaru the technological edge over Mitsubishi

dnc
Old 24 May 2010, 06:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My fuel gauge simply says "Benzina" and doesn't have a picture of a fuel pump on it. How am I supposed to work it out?
snap!
Old 24 May 2010, 06:25 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

mazda 6 doesn't comply with rule of thumb stated above.
Neither does my honda insight.

I tend to find that I am able to know what side the fuel filler is on by looking, and then not being so retarded as to forget.
In the event of a brain fart blonde moment I use the fuel filler hose to simply add fuel from the other side.
It's oh so easy.
Old 24 May 2010, 06:38 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-decades.html

Quote:

Both Mr Sutcliffe and his mother-in-law were, it seems, taken in by an urban myth.

Every manufacturer The Mail on Sunday contacted said the pump handle on the fuel gauge graphic bears no relation to where the petrol cap is located.

But the good news is that many modern cars do have a little-known indicator on the dashboard - in the form of a small arrowhead on the petrol pump graphic, pointing to which side the cap is on.

Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota and Nissan all said their modern vehicles had such an indicator.

Vauxhall said all models built in the past two years have an arrow but added that the petrol cap always sits on the driver’s side in their vehicles anyway.

Audis and BMWs do not have an indicator as standard, but again say it is always on the driver’s side - except in BMW Minis.

Citroen and Peugeot do not have a graphic, and the cap can be found on either side of their cars. The manufacturers’ responses disprove another common, but mistaken, belief: that the cap is on whatever would be the passengers’ side in a car’s main market, so drivers could safely fill up from a jerry-can at the side of the road, away from passing traffic.

On discovering the truth about his urban myth, 41-year-old Mr Sutcliffe was disappointed – but said it was about time car manufacturers did introduce a universal indicator.

He said: ‘I was certain I had come across a golden nugget of information which would make the life of every motorist so much easier.
You've just ruined my day

I don't actually care which side the filler cap is on as I'll use either side, but I was extremely happy to have discovered something new just when I thought I knew it all
Old 24 May 2010, 07:05 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i checked mine on the way home - I have a petrol pump icon with a right pointing '>' triangle.

Last edited by ChefDude; 24 May 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:21 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

thinking about it, you really do need to be a complete retard to rely on your car always letting you know what side the filler cap is on!
Old 24 May 2010, 07:37 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
You've just ruined my day

I don't actually care which side the filler cap is on as I'll use either side, but I was extremely happy to have discovered something new just when I thought I knew it all
I'm sorry

So was Mr Sutcliffe and his MiL

Quick Reply: Do you know how you can tell which side of the car its fuel cap is on?