Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

11 year olds in court for attempted rape. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 10:40 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 year olds in court for attempted rape. WTF?

Here is one of the many links to the story

Here is another view

Now is it just me, or should this never have gone to court?

Has the world gone completely bonkers?

They were 10 years old!!!
Old 24 May 2010, 11:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It shouldnt have gone to court, because terrible as it may have been, ten year olds cant understand the ramification, the language, counsel or instruct their solicitor properly. That undermines any outcome which makes it unjust.

God alone knows what the solution is, though. Beating their parents with birch sticks perhaps?
Old 24 May 2010, 11:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I realise that SN is no place for thinking though: and I will endeavour to post some ill-thought out half witted right wing remarks.....
Old 24 May 2010, 11:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Strange one this as the girls testimony suggested rape yet it came out that she made it up for some reason I'd question how / why an 11yr old girl can make up such a thing

TX.

PS

I'm all for trying kids in an adult court if they've commited an adult offence.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:36 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TX, she was only 8.

It's a tricky one and I don't really know what I think.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:40 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Holy cow, even worse then

TX.
Old 25 May 2010, 12:34 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Westwood2006
Here is one of the many links to the story

Here is another view

Now is it just me, or should this never have gone to court?

Has the world gone completely bonkers?

They were 10 years old!!!

It's an odd one, for sure.

I remember a lad telling me to look under the desk, when I was at school. The little bugger had his todger out
(Christ, the things one remembers)
It never entered my head to say anything to anyone. I just thought it was funny.
Kids will be kids and all that guff

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2010, 12:48 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Lee247
It's an odd one, for sure.

I remember a lad telling me to look under the desk, when I was at school. The little bugger had his todger out
(Christ, the things one remembers)
It never entered my head to say anything to anyone. I just thought it was funny.
Kids will be kids and all that guff
The innocence of years gone by though.

Kids will always be curious, and don't really understand.

What is concerning is that either an 8 year old could cry rape so to speak, or that two 10 year olds could do what is being claimed (I mean this is not just supposedly showing thier todger alone, they are supposed to have blocked her from leaving, and raped her).

Who knows, but either way it is a sign of the unfortunate times we live in.
Old 25 May 2010, 02:22 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Strange one this as the girls testimony suggested rape yet it came out that she made it up for some reason
According the news earlier, she made it up cos she was afraid her Mum would be angry with her!!!! How the hell does she know what rape is at that age?????????
Old 25 May 2010, 07:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

TBH, I seriously doubt she went home and told her mum the boys tried to rape her.
She most likely said they had their things out, wouldn't let her go and wanted her to undress too...........and further questioning would elicit what happened.

Disturbing though
Old 25 May 2010, 07:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

or the boys had their todgers out girl was 'upset' told mum and mum then insisted it was rape
Old 25 May 2010, 07:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
It shouldnt have gone to court, because terrible as it may have been, ten year olds cant understand the ramification, the language, counsel or instruct their solicitor properly. That undermines any outcome which makes it unjust.

God alone knows what the solution is, though. Beating their parents with birch sticks perhaps?
+1 their behaviour needs looking at by professionals as does that of their parents but not something for the courts surely
Old 25 May 2010, 07:54 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
She most likely said they had their things out, wouldn't let her go and wanted her to undress too...........and further questioning would elicit what happened.
I believe this is what happened at some point but her story conflicted quite significantly to the one she gave immediately after the incident. It was on that original statement they felt the case should be taken forward.
Regardless of all this, what the hell are these kids watching at home that leads to this?
Old 25 May 2010, 08:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Or hearing from older kids?
Old 25 May 2010, 08:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
The innocence of years gone by though.

Kids will always be curious, and don't really understand.

What is concerning is that either an 8 year old could cry rape so to speak, or that two 10 year olds could do what is being claimed (I mean this is not just supposedly showing thier todger alone, they are supposed to have blocked her from leaving, and raped her).

Who knows, but either way it is a sign of the unfortunate times we live in.
As ever I think Lisa has hit the nail as they say.

These days children are exposed to so much of adult type goings on via the media etc that if their parents dont work at bringing them up in a sensible direction in the first place, they will very easily branch off in the wrong direction.

I think it is a pity that children grow through their natural sense of innocence so rapidly these days, and many parents will deliberately speed that up in an effort to demonstrate how intelligent they appear to be to others.

Another example of the more unfortunate effects of "modern" living!

I don't think this case should have gone to court.

Les
Old 25 May 2010, 11:03 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you'll find that if it had just been a case of I'll show you mine etc then it wouldn't have got that far. From what I've heard the two boys cornered her in a lift then took her to a field.

IMO if children are going to be doing these things in these "modern times" then they need to be tried for their crimes. Courts might not be the best place but these lads have done something wrong and need punishing.

Being a father of an 8 year old girl it is actually making me angry that people think these boys shouldn't have been tried. If it was mine I'd want the f*ckers hanged.
Old 25 May 2010, 11:04 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

I can't comprehend how prepubescent kids can get judged by adult sexual standards.... and all the experts and people in the system took it seriously enough to make a big deal of it. Took it to court FFS!

These 3 kids are going to be seriously f*cked up by all this hoo haar. Imagine what an experience like going to court and all the news coverage would have done for you at that age?

That's the crazy bit for me.

What age does Doctors and Nurses become dodgy?
Old 25 May 2010, 11:06 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I can't comprehend how prepubescent kids can get judged by adult sexual standards.... and all the experts and people in the system took it seriously enough to make a big deal of it. Took it to court FFS!

These 3 kids are going to be seriously f*cked up by all this hoo haar. Imagine what an experience like going to court and all the news coverage would have done for you at that age?

That's the crazy bit for me.

What age does Doctors and Nurses become dodgy?
You have no idea of the contents of the case. How can you judge that these children were just playing and its the adults that have blown it out of proportion.

Would you be asking the same questions if the two boys had killed her?
Old 25 May 2010, 11:10 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

I appreciate you have kids.... and I don't. I also don't want to make you angry or wind you up.

But... I'd like to gently point out that this wasn't a murder case.... Totally different kettle of fish.
Old 25 May 2010, 11:40 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I appreciate you have kids.... and I don't. I also don't want to make you angry or wind you up.

But... I'd like to gently point out that this wasn't a murder case.... Totally different kettle of fish.
True its different but what I mean is that children today will do things that would have been completely unheard off 20 years ago. Or maybe they did and its just modern times that highlights these crimes more than 20 years ago.

I'm not convinced trying these children in a similar fashion it adults is the best but I don't believe that the trial would have got this far if there wasn't something more underhand going on then mere "play"

Didn't mean to sound irate, just over protection kicking in
Old 25 May 2010, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I think you'll find that if it had just been a case of I'll show you mine etc then it wouldn't have got that far. From what I've heard the two boys cornered her in a lift then took her to a field.

IMO if children are going to be doing these things in these "modern times" then they need to be tried for their crimes. Courts might not be the best place but these lads have done something wrong and need punishing.

Being a father of an 8 year old girl it is actually making me angry that people think these boys shouldn't have been tried. If it was mine I'd want the f*ckers hanged.
If you were the father of a lad of that age who had done such a thing, how would you feel then?

Les
Old 25 May 2010, 12:05 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Carrying the theme on assuming that they did do something wrong that needed 'correction' (to use an American term)...

Our head master 'lost it' one time while he was caning one of the boys at my old school. He was subsequently banned from caning shortly before he retired. It is interesting in hind sight to look back at how we became more cheeky and pushing the boundaries knowing full well we could no longer be hauled up onto the assembly stage and given 10 of the best by the head master.

As a generalisation I think kids these days are cheeky f*ckers who could do with 'some oldskool methods' of learning lessons.

I sound like my Dad... "I didn't get where I am today ... grumble, grumble (etc)"
Old 25 May 2010, 01:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It means you are understanding his thinking with your developing maturity.

Les
Old 25 May 2010, 02:05 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It means you are understanding his thinking with your developing maturity.

Les
I must be on the slippery slope then. I get annoyed when people get there, their and they're mixed up. I listen to the Today program in the mornings and think that Andrew Marr is really quite interesting (although he let me down during the election coverage)...
Old 25 May 2010, 02:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If we step back a little, then surely we can see that trying ten year old children in crown court is f*king ridiculous - what is the country coming to?

We will be throwing donkeys off church steeples next.
Old 25 May 2010, 02:22 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
We will be throwing donkeys off church steeples next.
I actually Googled this. Crazy world we live in.
Old 25 May 2010, 05:20 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Can I see if I understand the ScoobyNet lynch mob correctly: if a couple of ten year old boys kill someone, they should be locked up for life. If they assault someone they should be birched at the very least. But if they force a girl into sex it's just play? Is that a fair synopsis? Why is it that people have no trouble believing ten-year olds can commit any crime except rape, which apparently would just be larking around?

M
Old 26 May 2010, 08:29 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The SN mob-mentality paradox.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:35 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

So if your 10 year old boy is naughty and gets into some trouble do you:

a. Talk to him and tell he shouldn't do that again and admit that your parenting skills probably aren't up to much. Pull your parenting socks up.
b. Give him a good old-skool thrashing to teach him a lesson.
c. New-School media frenzy. Prosecute him in the adult courts. Have your affairs in every news paper and current affairs program.
d. Lock him up and throw away the key.

I would say a combination of A & failing that, B. And while I'm at it I'd empower teachers to be able to do B as well.

Edit: anyone got any more suggestions?
Old 26 May 2010, 09:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The CPS must have had reson to pursue this case, it is not likely they did so thinking the case against the boys was weak or unlikely to get a procecution - what ever your feelings are towards them being on trial. I do not suppose we will ever know the full in's and out's of the case and what actually went on so speculation is the best we can do.

IMHO
Kids seem to be growing up/maturing quicker than in my day. I guess the media and access to the internet, youtube, online **** violence and pretty much anything is avaliable to view. Video games are now more graphic and realistic than packman and asteroids ever where - showing my age now!

The moral compass of some people seems also a little off and in some cases very off the mark.

What the boys did is wrong, their behaviour is not what you expect from 10 year olds at all - or at least what i would expect.

The boys did wrong - plain and simple - if you speak to the NSPCC and if you hypotheically had the same problem (god forbid) i think you will find that as far as they are concerned the boys sexually abused the girl even if they just got her to pull her pants down that is enough. This is not play or having a bit of fun at all and should not be confused or considered to be such.

What does need looking at is why the boys did what they did, what they have seen or done or had done to them. Often this is learned behavoiur, could be the media, could be closer to home.

I hope the boys get the counselling and support they need, i hope the parents and home lives of the boys are gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I hope the girls and her family are given the support and help they will need.

I am not sure that putting two young children through the adult courts is of benefit to anyone or will help in any way.

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 May 2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 11 year olds in court for attempted rape. WTF?