Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wonder how Webbers opening conversation with Vittel will go?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2010, 04:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonder how Webbers opening conversation with Vittel will go?

Hi Mate, fancy a pint?

or more along the lines of ...

what the **ck were you doing ???

Mart
Old 30 May 2010, 05:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well it was Vettel's fault and I am sure Webber is thinking...

'C*ck!! But that leaves me with a 15 point lead over him!'

A lot of camaraderie between Hamilton and Button - some fine racing too.
Old 30 May 2010, 05:06 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I watched the BBC F1 forum after the race and Christian Horner is favouring Vettel over this, something dodgy going on me thinks. As far as I made out Vettel was in the wrong.

Also another point was brought up Vettel was asked to turn his car up and Webber was asked to screw his down which kind of explains why Vettel appeared to make up the ground he did in the short space of time he did.
Old 30 May 2010, 05:08 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Vettel is Red Bull's future, simple as that.

Webber did nothing wrong today and any suggestion otherwise is just daft.
Old 30 May 2010, 05:10 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mart360
Hi Mate, fancy a pint?

or more along the lines of ...

what the **ck were you doing ???

Mart
Sums it up nicely.
Old 30 May 2010, 05:18 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The only thing Webber did wrong was leave the door wide open for Vettel and let him get alongside in the first place! Once there, Vettel hit Webber, not the other way round!
Old 30 May 2010, 07:00 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but i thought the bbc coverage was awesome. I'm in work since around 12 and had it going on the pc, from start to finish. At one time I was in stitches laughing when Humphrey said something about Lewis Hamilton and Nicole celebrating in their own way, and EJ could'nt keep a straight face. The detailed analysis in the forum afterwards was very interesting . Fantastic stuff !
Old 30 May 2010, 07:09 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Red bull gives you mongs.. at least one - Vettel
Old 30 May 2010, 07:43 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, my names Mark......... Vhot is your nime?

Last edited by Hammer man; 30 May 2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling bad...again
Old 30 May 2010, 08:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

2 points of note for me:

1) Red Bull clearly like Seb a lot more than Webber! But we already know that!

2) I think the McLaren team were very worried their car would not pass the post race checks. Lewis was very quiet and almost shakey during the interviews.... something odd going on there. There were also a few quiet words being had before they went out to get their trophies from one of the team bods...
Old 31 May 2010, 12:05 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yawn, did something happen in F1 ?

I must have blinked and missed it.

dunx
Old 31 May 2010, 12:23 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

From a blog I read..

During the post-race press conference in Istanbul, a disgruntled Mark Webber was asked why Sebastian Vettel’s car was faster than his on lap 40 when the two cars collided when the German made a rather impatient move to overtake, taking them both out. Vettel tried to make out that Webber had done something wrong but clearly this was not the case. He kept to his line, he did not move right or left. If the road had been wider then Mark would have lost the place but Vettel ran out of space and drove into the side of his team-mate, presumably thinking that Webber would get out his way, if he made such a move. Webber did not. One got the impression that he did not expect a team-mate to do such a thing.

Webber replied that there was more to the story than met the eye, but would not say more. This clearly warranted investigation. Given that Webber and Vettel were equal on points at the start of the race – each having 78 points – this was obviously a pivotal moment in the season – and the World Championship battle. With one driver ahead of the other it is much easier to dictate what one wishes to see, although, of course, team orders are not allowed, unless a driver voluntarily agrees to help his team-mate.

Webber was on pole because Vettel had some trouble with a broken rear anti-roll bar in qualifying. In the race Webber took the lead and Vettel was pushed back to third by a great move from Lewis Hamilton, despite the fact that Sebastian had made a terrific start. Vettel shadowed Webber and Hamilton until the pit stops after which Webber was ahead of Vettel and Hamilton, slowed by a pit lane glitch. When they were free and running again the gap was 0.8s and it remained much the same from lap 18 to lap 36. The biggest gap Webber managed was 1.1secs on lap 24. The smallest was 0.4s, when lapping Jarno Trulli on lap 29. It was status quo. Vettel was beaten (as he had been in Barcelona and Monaco). Sebastian seemed to have no answer for the Australian.

On lap 36 Webber was ahead by 0.813s, with no traffic ahead. Vettel lapped a tenth slower. Next time around Vettel’s lap times plunged by nearly half a second, from a 1m30.638s to a 1m30.181s. Webber’s lead shrank to 0.660s. On lap 38 Vettel did the same lap time (1m30.190s), while Webber did a 1m30.406s. The gap closed to 0.444s. Being that close to Mark meant that Vettel’s progress was stopped. The two both lapped in 1m30.6s. The next time around they collided. Vettel went up the inside in Turn 12 had the momentum but did not have the space and cut across into Webber. It was the move of an impatient man – with no reason to be impatient.

So what happened? After the race there were whispers that Red Bull Racing had ordered Webber to turn down his engine, to save fuel. Team boss Christian Horner said that they two drivers had the same engine settings, but added “as far as I know – which is never a good sign. When pressed on the subject, he said that their engine settings were the same.

But multiple sources within the team said that this was not the case and that the team wanted Vettel to go ahead, because he was going faster. If that had happened, of course, Vettel would have had a seven point lead in the World Championship. There are conspiracy theorists who argue that it is an Austrian team and that the Germans and the Austrians stick together. We have seen signs of that in the past in the way in which the team has dealt with its drivers. Christian Klien was favoured for a long time. Vettel was Red Bull’s golden boy. Webber was recruited to help with the engine deal, because of his connections with Renault.

If this is the case, then Red Bull has ended up creating a massive problem for itself – “a f@#king disaster” is how Webber described the situation. Yes, it was a disaster that the team lost points because of Vettel’s failure to finish, but the real disaster would be if Webber were to feel that is to feel that he is being unfairly treated by the Austrians and those who do what they are told. The sad fact is that Webber now leads the World Championship, with Vettel is 15 points behind. The two McLaren drivers are both ahead of Sebastian so pushing the German to get more points at Webber’s expense would not be an intelligent move.

And, the whole of the F1 paddock is now going to be looking at the team to see if that is happening.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:26 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

If they're favouring Vettel then why was Webber given the new rear wing?

The whole 'turning down the engine' thing can be argued that the same thing orchestrated Buttons overtake on Hamilton.
Old 31 May 2010, 09:28 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Vettel is Red Bull's future, simple as that.

Webber did nothing wrong today and any suggestion otherwise is just daft.
He could have given Vettel more room? It was his team mate afterall. If he had continued his natural line to the corner he'd have been moving right anyway. He saw Vettel coming and tried to squeeze him.

You can clearly see in this video, he is moving right, and then starts turning left......he is not completely blameless. This was his team mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gX-z8isWcE
Old 31 May 2010, 09:31 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Horner says stupid move when he sees the incident.
Old 31 May 2010, 09:40 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Also another point was brought up Vettel was asked to turn his car up and Webber was asked to screw his down which kind of explains why Vettel appeared to make up the ground he did in the short space of time he did.
A following car uses less fuel as less drag. Same for Button I guess even though Mclaren team told Lewis same situ for both cars.

Simon
Old 31 May 2010, 09:48 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
He could have given Vettel more room? It was his team mate afterall. If he had continued his natural line to the corner he'd have been moving right anyway. He saw Vettel coming and tried to squeeze him.

You can clearly see in this video, he is moving right, and then starts turning left......he is not completely blameless. This was his team mate.

How can you say Webber moved left? Watch his steering wheel. Just because he didnt yield and bear right doesnt mean he took Vettel out. Seems to me Vettel saw the corner looming and tried to push Webber over.

Simon
Old 31 May 2010, 09:54 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

you cntu
Old 31 May 2010, 09:54 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Vettel has looked increasingly impatient as the weeks have passed, a touch of the schumies about him, thinks he should have it all his own way, well that isn't how "racing" works young man.

Webber is known as DNF in Oz, I'd like to think that will now change, not impresed with the sulking kraut one little bit.

What was the winding finger all about ?
Old 31 May 2010, 09:57 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by mart360
Wonder how Webbers opening conversation with Vittel will go?

I'm going to drink you ?

Old 31 May 2010, 10:00 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Utter bollocks quite frankly. Webber makes no turn either way until Vettel hits him.

And why should he give him more room? He left a car's width which is hard but fair.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:03 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
How can you say Webber moved left? Watch his steering wheel
Watch his hands at 47 secs.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:05 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Utter bollocks quite frankly. Webber makes no turn either way until Vettel hits him.

And why should he give him more room? He left a car's width which is hard but fair.
Again, check video at 47 seconds.

I'm not saying he should give him more room, but that's his team mate and they have been told to "give each other room". Not drive towards them.

I feel the Blame lies with Vettel, but Weber is not completely blameless....however, the fact he collided with Vettel means he is more points clear of him. win win.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:14 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Surely it's the leaders prerogative to defend his line, not move over and let him pass ?,

Although one of the comments on the clip say that Horner say "Mark Move !" at 1.32, obvioulsy translated, I wouldn't have
Old 31 May 2010, 10:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Again, check video at 47 seconds.

I'm not saying he should give him more room, but that's his team mate and they have been told to "give each other room". Not drive towards them.

I feel the Blame lies with Vettel, but Weber is not completely blameless....however, the fact he collided with Vettel means he is more points clear of him. win win.
No matter how many times I view it Webber does not move his steering wheel until after he is hit. You are seeing things.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:18 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You need to visit spec savers.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:30 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You need to visit spec savers.
Whatever
Old 31 May 2010, 10:32 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Looked at this a few times now.

What is worrying is Horner on the pit wall shouting "Mark Move!" as the incident happens.... as though he was told to move over... but maybe refused (as you would)... indeed.... but not at Mark... I think the team have made a royal mess of this. I think they told mark to go onto fuel save mode (I am sure this was heard on the radio) and then I can only assume Vettel was told to go into overtake mode giving him a good bit more power than Mark out of the fast chicane after turn 8. Run up the hill and take him.... I wonder if the team will release any of the data.. I doubt it.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:35 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
you cntu
Could you elaborate on that remark a little please.

Chip
Old 31 May 2010, 10:50 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Post race discussion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...nd_Prix_Forum/

Davidson giving some very good opinions IMHO.

Quick Reply: Wonder how Webbers opening conversation with Vittel will go?