Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Relaying patio slabs

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2010, 10:06 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Relaying patio slabs

Thginking about doing this , theyre all wonky and form a dip where water collects when it rains . Taken a few up and its earth with a *bit* of gravel here an there

Whats teh routine for relaying ?

cheers
Old 22 June 2010, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift, drop, catch fingers, swear, find it still isnt level, repeat until all you have is bloodied stumps and the drive is no better, admit defeat and pay someone who knows what they are doing.

Thats was my approach with a massive shed base, best £200 I ever spent
Old 22 June 2010, 02:55 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm faced with the same scenario, I layed 6 2x2 slabs by the side of my shed last year on the hottest day ever and almost killed myself! Who new slabs could be that heavy!

I've blatently done it wrong and need to re-lay them as some have dropped.

I know where I went wrong... I levelled the ground then used 5 piles of sand, positioned as in 5 on a dice and wriggled the slab untill it was level, this worked fine until the winter when lots of rain got underneath etc.

I have since found out I believe you are supposed to mix some concrete powder into the 'piles' and thats how it's done
Old 22 June 2010, 03:59 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPG
I'm faced with the same scenario, I layed 6 2x2 slabs by the side of my shed last year on the hottest day ever and almost killed myself! Who new slabs could be that heavy!

I've blatently done it wrong and need to re-lay them as some have dropped.

I know where I went wrong... I levelled the ground then used 5 piles of sand, positioned as in 5 on a dice and wriggled the slab untill it was level, this worked fine until the winter when lots of rain got underneath etc.

I have since found out I believe you are supposed to mix some concrete powder into the 'piles' and thats how it's done
Not so, the five piles technique or spot bedding as it's technically known, is a bodgers technique at best. The problem is the slab is only supported at five points so prone to wobble, cracking, etc.

Ideally the slabs should be bedded into a continuous bed, i.e. no gaps underneath. If you really want to do a good job of it take up all the slabs, excavate the area and get it level. Ideally lay a sub base of compacted MOT1 hardcore, though if the patio sees only light use then you can possibly do without. On top of that lay a cement / sand bed around 40mm thick, ripple it with 5-8mm peaks / troughs then lay your slab onto it (i.e. lay the bed one slab at a time), tap it down until level with the other slabs or if it's to high or low lift it, adjust the bed accordingly, and start again. Use a long straight edge to ensure a uniform level across the slabs.

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 22 June 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 22 June 2010, 05:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thanks, im not sure the backs up to it , iv just counted 46 of them
Old 22 June 2010, 10:26 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Ideally lay a sub base of compacted MOT1 hardcore
Aaaaahh, that takes me back to my days in the early 80's working for Tarmac Roadstone and weighing the wagons as they left the (Clitheroe) quarry

So, does MOT1 still exist (there was lots for the "new" M65)? I remember adding "white tarmac" to the database (as a joke) for the white lines down the middle of the road Happy Days

mb
Old 23 June 2010, 01:21 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

http://www.pavingexpert.com/
Old 23 June 2010, 02:32 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Aaaaahh, that takes me back to my days in the early 80's working for Tarmac Roadstone and weighing the wagons as they left the (Clitheroe) quarry

So, does MOT1 still exist (there was lots for the "new" M65)? I remember adding "white tarmac" to the database (as a joke) for the white lines down the middle of the road Happy Days

mb
I think the term MOT1 is still used for that particular garde of hardcore as it's still used a lot in paving, block drives, etc.

E.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Granular-Sub...T1/invt/224665
Old 23 June 2010, 09:46 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Use 50mm crusher run instead of Dtp1 (Mot 1). It's a hell of a lot cheaper and ideal for patio's/paving. Plus never buy from places like that shown in the link, just go down to your local quarry with some cash and you'll get it at least a 3rd of the price.

Aaron
Old 23 June 2010, 10:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Crusher run eh , got yer