Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anybody still repair CRT TV's these days?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 11:10 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anybody still repair CRT TV's these days?

My faithful bedroom Phillips CRT has developed a fault. Its about 10 years old but still had a fantastic picture and really good sound. Also unlike a slim panel the kids can't knock it over.

It comes onto standby but then when you try and switch it on it just makes a clicking sound.

Any idea whether this can be fixed for a reasonable sum of money?
Old 23 June 2010, 11:43 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like one of the voltage rails may have gone, or it could be something as simple as a blown fuse . My exes Dad is an electronics engineer and he cannot even give working crt's away these days.

Last edited by kingofturds; 23 June 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 23 June 2010, 12:33 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get crt tv's on ebay for about £5!
Old 23 June 2010, 01:53 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
My faithful bedroom Phillips CRT has developed a fault. Its about 10 years old but still had a fantastic picture and really good sound. Also unlike a slim panel the kids can't knock it over.

It comes onto standby but then when you try and switch it on it just makes a clicking sound.

Any idea whether this can be fixed for a reasonable sum of money?
I used to think that the picture of flat screens wasn't up to that of CRTs but the 26" Sony LCD we have for a bedroom TV (PVA type panel) has a superb picture, easily as good as my old Sony 32" Trinitron that is still doing sterling service as our main TV. CRTs are dead and really not worth repairing. When our extension is done the 32" CRT we have will unfortunately go to TV heaven, just takes up to much room

As for the kids knocking it over - get a wall mount
Old 23 June 2010, 02:14 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Itw ill cost more to repair than its worth, **** it off and get a new tv!
Old 23 June 2010, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe the EHT for the CRT is arcing over for some reason.

Les
Old 23 June 2010, 04:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Clicking is usually the TV trying to fire up, but the start-up or power supply cicuitry is not working as it should, as such the power supply momentarily shuts down (for a millisecond) due to overcurrent or not enough load (over voltage) then re-tries, making a tick everytime it does so.

Possibly poor coonection or most likely a dry solder joint (some TVs have alot of component weight on the PCB and over time degrade and fail) or a duff component (capacitor, resistor, transistor drive circuit etc).

The main problem is is the time taken to find the fault.

There is a place down the not far from me that repairs them (west mids), they charge a £20 inspection fee. They've been there for years, and the guy is an proper old school electronics technician. Thats where our last trusty CRT went to rest (dead flyback transformer= £££ )
Old 23 June 2010, 05:17 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Its far too heavy to take anywhere, its a 2 man lift so somebody would have to come around to have a look.

Anyway, sounds like I should just bin it and buy a flat screen. The problem is flat screens at that size (26inch) have really crappy sound due to this obsession with being thin as possible
Old 23 June 2010, 05:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

The call out chargeis going to be a killer. He'll need to test various circuits and try to power up the TV using his test equipment - something more easily done on a bench.

Sound is the huge issue that is preventing me investing in a new bedroom TV right now. ALL TVs on the shelf have poor sound. The only way round it is via A/V system or a sound bar (and yet another remote and more wires+clutter). I mean, who has an A/V system in their bedroom?? (before anyone says "I do" - shut up! ).

The closest thing for an audio solution I've seen is this:http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-Q-TV2/ But I'm yet to hear one to say if it sounds ok.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 June 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 23 June 2010, 05:42 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The call out chargeis going to be a killer. He'll need to test various circuits and try to power up the TV using his test equipment - something more easily done on a bench.

Sound is the huge issue that is preventing me investing in a new bedroom TV right now. ALL TVs on the shelf have poor sound. The only way round it is via A/V system or a sound bar (and yet another remote and more wires+clutter). I mean, who has an A/V system in their bedroom?? (before anyone says "I do" - shut up! ).

The closest thing for an audio solution I've seen is this:http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-Q-TV2/ But I'm yet to hear one to say if it sounds ok.

I have a full AV set up downstairs and have no intention of doing anything like that in the bedroom. You are right the sound on some sub 32inch TVs is so bad I wonder how people enjoy watching anything on them
Old 23 June 2010, 05:43 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck it out the window, once it gets to ground level it will be in nice easy to lift pieces.
Old 23 June 2010, 05:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I forgot to say: have you tried hitting it?

Seriously, if its a dodgy solder joint a bang on the top with a fist sometimes gets it going
Old 23 June 2010, 06:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We've still got a JVC 26" CRT in the family room.
It started to 'roll' quite badly a few months back and all I could ever hear was the kids giving it a good smack every time!

I was hoping it was about to die but the little bugger has now stopped rolling and seems fine.

I bought it in June 1998 when I moved into my last house, so it's serving me well.

Forgot to say - the picture is still better (when not rolling) than the 32" LCD in the lounge.
Old 23 June 2010, 06:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Forgot to say - the picture is still better (when not rolling) than the 32" LCD in the lounge.

This an the sound quality are what puts me off, apart from being a tight **** of course

however its now switching from mono to stereo in 3 minute intervals so i guess its skip time

it only does it on bbc2 tho