Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Housing Benefit cap

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 12:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Housing Benefit cap

Its been set to £400 a week, do people really get more than £1600 a month to pay for their housing, is that a temporary situation for most or do people go year in year out on it ? does it ever get reviewed ?

How does that differ from a Council House as I know people pay rent on them, does it just mean the council pay the rent for you if you cant for some reason, do people make up the difference from what they can pay.

Dont want to sound all Daily Mail as I know its tough for a lot of people.
Old 23 June 2010, 12:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was in papers recently that a large family were housed in a £6k pm mansion £400 pw still seems a lot to me!

TX.
Old 23 June 2010, 12:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What stops a Landlord charging the maximum even if it is above the going rate? Presumably it makes no difference to the tenant?

dl
Old 23 June 2010, 01:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I think the top claimers of housing benefit are somewhere in the region of £104k per year........ Well thats what they said in the commons yesterday.
I am not really clued up on benefits but I think that its money thats claimed to pay a private landlord, and private landlords charge a higher rent to social tenants as they are deemed a higher risk.
Old 23 June 2010, 01:09 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression if you rented privately from a landlord and asked the government for help with the rent they assess all situation - ie how many people will be living in property as 1 couple were basically allowed a maximum 2 bed house and the value of the house is assessed and rent is then worked out. £400 a week seems a lot anyway..... my situation basically 2 adults 2 children in a 2 bed house by council, ive just finished uni and looking for work and my husband works full time I sign on each week purely for collecting my stamp I do not take a penny from the government apart from child/ working tax credit to top up husbands wage as he on minimum wage, we been allowed £3 a week housing benefit to help against our rent !!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell is that gonna do ??
Old 23 June 2010, 01:43 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

£400/week is still a ****ing disgrace. Housing benefit should be your last resort if you literally are going to end up living in a cardboard box with your kids, so how people are being allowed to claim more than £1700 a month to meet their basic housing needs is beyond me.
Old 23 June 2010, 01:45 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Why should a family on the chap, be in a house next door to a hard working couple struggling to pay the mortgage each month.

With rents like these being paid no wonder they dont want to go out and get a job or start there own little businesses

If you stuck them all in tower blocks with lifts that smell of **** it might make them want to get off there ***** and make something of there life.

All the time they are living in modern rented houses and pissing off the neighbors and bringing down the area they are never going to want to anything other than become a burden on society
Old 23 June 2010, 01:45 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Why should a family on the chap, be in a house next door to a hard working couple struggling to pay the mortgage each month.

With rents like these being paid no wonder they dont want to go out and get a job or start there own little businesses

If you stuck them all in tower blocks with lifts that smell of **** it might make them want to get off there ***** and make something of there life.

All the time they are living in modern rented houses and pissing off the neighbors and bringing down the area they are never going to want to anything other than become a burden on society
Old 23 June 2010, 01:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish
Please don't generalise. My eldest's best mate has a 14 month old little boy. He and his partner now live in a house paid for by housing benefit etc, since he can't find permanent work as a plater, which is his trade.

They are a decent couple, their little lad is lovely, they don't upset anyone and are trying hard to bring the lad up well.

His father would LOVE to work, but he is getting the runaround from the Jobcentre, every £ he manages to earn in part time, they knock him £1 off his JSA.

And if he works more than 16 hours, they sign him off and he has to then go home, and ring them for an interview to sign back on again next time the work dries up. Is there any wonder loads like him are fed up of the system and just want to either work or have benefits?
Old 23 June 2010, 01:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish
Please don't generalise. My eldest's best mate has a 14 month old little boy. He and his partner now live in a house paid for by housing benefit etc, since he can't find permanent work as a plater, which is his trade.

They are a decent couple, their little lad is lovely, they don't upset anyone and are trying hard to bring the lad up well.

His father would LOVE to work, but he is getting the runaround from the Jobcentre, every £ he manages to earn in part time, they knock him £1 off his JSA.

And if he works more than 16 hours, they sign him off and he has to then go home, and ring them for an interview to sign back on again next time the work dries up. Is there any wonder loads like him are fed up of the system and just want to either work or have benefits?
Old 23 June 2010, 02:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why someone with 3 kids HAS to have a 4 bedroomed house anyway, my eldest Brothers shared a room and I know plenty of hard working people with a mortgage who have kids who share a room.

Surely if you are genuinely unemployed you would be happy to have any roof over your head.
Old 23 June 2010, 02:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is beyond the pale when you hear about a family living in a mansion and the people concerned play the system so that they don't have to lift a finger for themselves!

Les
Old 23 June 2010, 03:03 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

3 years ago, my self, the mrs and little girl were all living in 1 room in a shaired flat for around a year. the council said as we had a place to live we were not hi up on the list for a council house. we never did get one.
Old 23 June 2010, 06:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I think the top claimers of housing benefit are somewhere in the region of £104k per year........
You are spot on .... £2,000 a week .... well, if you have 8 kids from 8 different fathers, in 8 different colours, you need a BIG house - it's only right we help the poor mother out.
Old 23 June 2010, 07:19 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Gutt her so she cant reproduce !
Old 23 June 2010, 07:22 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

£400 A WEEK! ffs, i thought it was £400 a month, i thought the lazy immigrant scroungers would have to get of their ***** and get a job to pay for what they want, like the rest of us.
Old 23 June 2010, 08:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You have to wonder if it is really worth working if you can get these sort of allowances - oh wait i think i already know the answer.

should be max of 600-800.00 per month and topped up by the tennants as required!
Old 23 June 2010, 08:35 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
£400 A WEEK! ffs, i thought it was £400 a month, i thought the lazy immigrant scroungers would have to get of their ***** and get a job to pay for what they want, like the rest of us.

Why do you assume that all the people claiming housing benefit in this country are immigrants?
Old 23 June 2010, 08:44 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Indeed the big claimers are scummy ***** with 6 kids who are milking the system.
Old 23 June 2010, 08:50 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Why do you assume that all the people claiming housing benefit in this country are immigrants?
Because this is Scoobynet, someone was always going to say it.

Of course no white, English people milk it.....

Again, to my mind this should be a helping hand for people who need it in the short term hopefully. It shouldn't be a free house for life and yet another excuse for SOME people never to bother working.
Old 23 June 2010, 08:59 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

What do you expect if you offer someone that amount of wedge? Realistically, it's unemployment and the massive benefits gravytrain, or working in Maccy D's.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:06 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by tathan
What do you expect if you offer someone that amount of wedge? Realistically, it's unemployment and the massive benefits gravytrain, or working in Maccy D's.
And this is exactly why I have said for god knows how long that the whole benefits system needs a massive shake up. Hopefully that may happen one day....
Old 23 June 2010, 09:06 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Peckham finishing school for girls bbc 3 typical scrounger
Old 23 June 2010, 09:36 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
And this is exactly why I have said for god knows how long that the whole benefits system needs a massive shake up. Hopefully that may happen one day....
Hopefully it's starting now, if they can get past the people who 'rely' on them and the bleeding heart Guardanistas.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Remember people, this was the first shot across the bow. It lets people know that he is serious.

As for some other people's questions, a landlord is not able to just determine a random amount of rent and then expect the council to pay it. Most councils these days do assessments on the price of accommodation that you "require". Based on these assessments they will cap your benefit.

However, human rights has meant that some people "require" seven bedrooms for their kids. So, under previous rules, the council has to price up the average cost of renting a seven bedroom house and then offer that amount as the housing benefit. This has now changed

Just wait till the next budget, as its the Income Support when you have OMFG how many kids that people AIM to get that is the issue.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:03 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Why does it bother you what i assume.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It is a tough call as he is making decisions that affect thousands upon thousands of people, ok it will catch those that dont deserve all the help but not hitting those who do must be difficult, its kind of a blunt instrument for dealing with all the individual cases.

It is clear that too much money is being paid out though, the government are handing out billions each year more than is taken in tax and through other means, the working population are hampered by those that dont, I dont think anyone minds contributing to healthcare for all, education and for a safety net in case your life takes a turn you didnt want or expect, nobody should be ashamed for claiming benefits when they need them but they should be ashamed for living on them as a lifestyle choice but that kind of person generally turns a blind eye.

I suppose the problem is that people are so cunning when it comes to getting free money, invariably the council give it to them as its not there money and nobody seems to care about the success of the country as a whole as long as they get their few quid and dont have to put any effort in, gone are the days when pride was involved. A lot of people work and claim benefits illegally, I can sort of understand if someone is struggling to feed a family and keep a roof over their heads but I dont think that is usually the case judging by some of the documentaries you see.

I think the benefits lifestyle is unhealthy and is vicious cycle, we need a reason to get up in the morning, sitting on your **** in front of the telly is onnly good when you are on a rare day off you can waste, doing it every day rots your brain and makes you unemployable.

If I lost my job I would spend every waking hour either looking for a new one or doing jobs around the house, I would do some voluntary work if I had any spare time, I have had periods of unemployment but they were mercifully short.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Maybe they should still give it to them but make them earn it another way like send them out on things like apprentiships to teach them a skill or make them collect litter etc.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:08 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

it seems like a good idea, but the lazy ******* in this country, that keep jeremy kyle in a job, would call in sick.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I do think that the habitual benefits Hoover isnt that interested in picking up litter, dropping it maybe.

Quick Reply: Housing Benefit cap