Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paypal frozen my account

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 09:24 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal frozen my account

I have opened a paypal account 2 days ago to receive money for small parts of my previous car that i have left behind in UK and i am currently breaking as it seemed a sensible option and the account said that i could receive up to 1700 per month without needing any verification and as i no longer live in UK and receiving money for small bits is a problem i decided to give my last UK adress at which i was living 6 months ago.

I have since then received 3 payments and today have got a letter from Paypal saying that my account has been locked pending further verification along with a list of 7 things that i need to confirm ( bank details, adress, credit card, driving license etc ).

Now obviously i cant confirm any of those things as i no longer live in UK, so the question begs itself - If they dont want me to receive any money, why do they let me open an account and let people send money to it without having me verified ?

How can they let me receive the money and then freeze my account with other people's money in it without giving me the ability to refund the money back ?

Is it legal for them to do so ?

So now i have an account with other peoples money that i cant use or do anything about. One of the customers have called Paypal and tried to reverse the transactions but they said that unless i click refund, he cannot do anything ? Surely this cant be right..as i cant click refund untill i have verified my account

Arent they illegally holding someone else's money the legality of which are not in question while investigating a person who only wants to return that money back to the owners.

I have emailed paypal, but obviously this is going to take ages, meanwhile - is there anything the owners of the money can do to have the money back ?
Old 23 June 2010, 09:28 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

can you not just give your new address details to them. Watever country your in and confirm your you etc and that be it?
Old 23 June 2010, 09:33 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

I doubt it mate, but i will give it a go.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:38 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

They're arseholes for doing this - they froze my account for "suspicious activity", which in this case was buying and selling things. They did the same for a mate when he had a large balance and iirc he ended up waiting several months to get the money out of there. Good luck though.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:49 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

I really dont mind them freezing my account, but how can they keep someone else's money frozen when i want to give it back to them ? Should i just delete my account, i wonder if that will solve anything.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:44 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
I have opened a paypal account 2 days ago to receive money for small parts of my previous car that i have left behind in UK and i am currently breaking as it seemed a sensible option and the account said that i could receive up to 1700 per month without needing any verification and as i no longer live in UK and receiving money for small bits is a problem i decided to give my last UK adress at which i was living 6 months ago.

I have since then received 3 payments and today have got a letter from Paypal saying that my account has been locked pending further verification along with a list of 7 things that i need to confirm ( bank details, adress, credit card, driving license etc ).

Now obviously i cant confirm any of those things as i no longer live in UK, so the question begs itself - If they dont want me to receive any money, why do they let me open an account and let people send money to it without having me verified ?

How can they let me receive the money and then freeze my account with other people's money in it without giving me the ability to refund the money back ?

Is it legal for them to do so ?

So now i have an account with other peoples money that i cant use or do anything about. One of the customers have called Paypal and tried to reverse the transactions but they said that unless i click refund, he cannot do anything ? Surely this cant be right..as i cant click refund untill i have verified my account

Arent they illegally holding someone else's money the legality of which are not in question while investigating a person who only wants to return that money back to the owners.

I have emailed paypal, but obviously this is going to take ages, meanwhile - is there anything the owners of the money can do to have the money back ?
why did you not open a paypal account and register it at your new address?
have you bought something from the uk and had it posted to your new address? if so they have probably spotted this and think that you are up to something dodgy, and froze your account, you will find it will probably be harder to get that money released as you will have to explain what you have done and prove who you are, then open a correct account in your new homeland.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:51 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

I already have an account with my proper adress in another country with bank details and everything else, but i could not receive money to it from UK accounts for some reason.

Anyway, just read many horror stories on www.paypalsucks.com about the same kind of thing and im not surprised this has happend.

If they dont want me to receive money untill im properly registered then fine - but why let me receive the money and then freeze it ? Makes no sense to me.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:57 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Paypal are complete ********....avoid at any cost.
Old 24 June 2010, 02:18 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

I had to verify my account a few weeks ago.

You verify all the details including credit card, etc and they "take" £1 to prove it on the basis that they will pay it back. Well that's 4 weeks and still waiting for my quid!
Old 24 June 2010, 05:07 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Simes, they now demand your bank details too and don't forget, they never delete them. The sooner the OFT investigate the whole PayPal/eBay monopoly the better.

5t.
Old 24 June 2010, 08:43 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harry007
Paypal are complete ********....avoid at any cost.
Can't disagree.

2 years ago they contacted me regarding a suspicious transaction on my account which i told them was fraudulent.

Everything fine but oh no !!!!!!!!!

2 weeks later they processed the transaction anyway

Use them again ? not in this lifetime
Old 24 June 2010, 08:59 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

still battling it out, called their customers service today and spoke with a pretty helpfull guy who said that there should be no problem with refunding the money back to customers even though my account is restricted, but he couldnt do it at his end and i should write an email to paypal complaints department.

Wrote an email 3 minutes after the talk, asking to get money returned to customers and explaining my situation.
After 4 hours two people got their money back, one didnt.

10 Hours later i get an email from their customer service saying that they will not lift my account limitation unless i provide them with details along with whole bunch of copy-paste stuff from their manual on how to provide those details to them.
- Obviously not the smartest person as i didnt ask for them to lift the restriction..

Emailed them back with as little words as possible this time, we'll see how that goes.