Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does using the outside lane get you there faster?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 07:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does using the outside lane get you there faster?

Every morning and every night on my way in and home from work I have to sit behind some bellend who thinks sitting in the third lane at 30mph in a 40 / 50 will get them home quicker ..

and to be honest .. its really starting to annoy me ..

WHY do it ? if you want to go slower than me move out my way .. sit in the far lane and let people pass you ..

Every morning I think I'll post this and always forget so here you go
Old 25 June 2010, 07:48 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people must think so. While you get some people who must think that all rsfs were laid/built just for them.
It's annoying, but you always get a bell end who just doesn't care.
Old 25 June 2010, 07:55 AM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Grrrr.. P reg Corsa last night A1 Gosforth Park, 65mph left lane clear.. Woman mid 50's...

North of Dishforth on old style A1, you could drive 3 miles in the left hand lane at 60mph with no other traffic in that lane.
Old 25 June 2010, 08:04 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Every morning and every night on my way in and home from work I have to sit behind some bellend who thinks sitting in the third lane at 30mph in a 40 / 50 will get them home quicker ..

and to be honest .. its really starting to annoy me ..

WHY do it ? if you want to go slower than me move out my way .. sit in the far lane and let people pass you ..

Every morning I think I'll post this and always forget so here you go
Its been annoying me for many years now.

On another note I asked a policeman about tools like this that hog the outside lane and was told that if they are deliberately holding the traffic then its perfectly fine to undertake them just so long as you don't move back to the outside lane immediately.

I also find that main beam and horn(perhaps constant ) also work a treat
Old 25 June 2010, 08:52 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pass the cretin on the left
Old 25 June 2010, 08:55 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ram em, **** your insurance, and make sure your not in you best car when you do!
Old 25 June 2010, 08:57 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its just as bad on single roads. Im usually driving into work by 6.45am most mornings and the roads are relatively empty but even so 5 out of 10 times there is someone doing 35mph through a 40 which then breaks out to National speed limit and yep you guessed it they stay at 35mph. Its annoying as only one clear overtaking spot and you can guarentee that the one car you see on the other side of the road is coming toward you when you need to overtake.

Must calm myself down, exhale.

Simon
Old 25 June 2010, 09:26 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

the M1 is now 4 lanes from just north of Milton Keynes all the way to the M25 and it makes no difference to the speed of traffic as the cretins just stay in what ever lane they were in and make no effort to move over. The fastest way through the traffic is to dive into thte left lane put your foot down for a bit untill you have to over take a truck and then back into the left lane asap. Sometimes you can use the fastlane provided you are prepared to undertake hundreds of idiots blocking the way.
Old 25 June 2010, 09:36 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

If the motorway is running freely I tend to stay at an average speed rather than going faster or slower, using all the lanes. I've noticed more and more though that you will overtake cars and then a few minutes later they will come flying past you, only for a few miles down the road I'll catch them up and pass them again, me still doing the same speed I was before. What's that all about?
Old 25 June 2010, 09:40 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by room 512
If the motorway is running freely I tend to stay at an average speed rather than going faster or slower, using all the lanes. I've noticed more and more though that you will overtake cars and then a few minutes later they will come flying past you, only for a few miles down the road I'll catch them up and pass them again, me still doing the same speed I was before. What's that all about?
9 times out of 10 I find these folk are on the phone when I pass them.
Old 25 June 2010, 10:01 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Its my pet hate, lane discipline has all but vanished recently. I still hear fully grown adults with proper big boys driving licenses calling it "the fast lane" at work..... Drives me mad.
If people dont understand how carriageways work should they really be driving???? You rarely encounter more than a 5 lane carriageway so its not like the maths are hard.

If people used the correct lanes to overtake and not to sit in a a speed they believe is "slow, medium or fast" then I swear the motorways would have half the Congestion.
Old 25 June 2010, 10:10 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Everyone seems to think the opposite about the inside "Slow" lane...

On one Journey on the M25, Someone I know , drove the entire time betwen Jct 8 to 10 in the inside lane doing 77 .

The traffic was heavyish, but flowing freely (65mph+)

Passed several hundred cars in Lanes 2, 3 & 4 and did not come across a single car or lorry in that lane until exiting at Jct10.
Old 25 June 2010, 10:30 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

A trip on an Autoroute in France is an eye opener.

1. A smooth surface
2. Excellent lane disicpline

As above my understanding is that its only an undertake if you pull back out in front of them. However be careful because if they're that dosey they normally panic when a car passes them on the left.
Old 25 June 2010, 10:48 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I thought the inside lane is the correct lane to be in if there is no traffic, the other two are overtaking lanes. Did these people pass their driving test with stevie wonder as their examiner??!!
I usually pass them when i can, then immedeately excersize lane discipline. Showing them how it's ment to be done.
I will then usually see them follow suit ,just as i finish my manouver into the correct lane and stop my turn signal.
Old 25 June 2010, 11:11 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

totally agree with the OP, but just a small point. When do you get a 3 lane road that the speed limit is 40/50 mph
Old 25 June 2010, 11:14 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I assumed he was on about a motorway.
Old 25 June 2010, 11:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SwissTony
totally agree with the OP, but just a small point. When do you get a 3 lane road that the speed limit is 40/50 mph
The section of the A41 just east of the M25 J19: 3 lanes used to be 70 but the boneheads dropped it to 40
Old 25 June 2010, 11:30 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
I assumed he was on about a motorway.
ah never assume anything on scoobynet, fatal mistake
Old 25 June 2010, 11:36 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
The section of the A41 just east of the M25 J19: 3 lanes used to be 70 but the boneheads dropped it to 40
I got overtaken by a fully laden transit milk float on that bit of road.... I dont think he realised it was 40.
It has to be the worst speed limit decision in the country.
Old 25 June 2010, 11:58 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
there is someone doing 35mph through a 40 which then breaks out to National speed limit and yep you guessed it they stay at 35mph.
Simon
I find the more annoying are the ones doing 40 in a 60 because they are 'just so safe' then proceed to carry on driving at 40 when the limit drops to 30 and there might be kids about.

Does my nut!

5t.
Old 25 June 2010, 12:21 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by fivetide
I find the more annoying are the ones doing 40 in a 60 because they are 'just so safe' then proceed to carry on driving at 40 when the limit drops to 30 and there might be kids about.

Does my nut!

5t.
Yep,seen plenty of older drivers who think it's ok to drive at 40 everywhere!
BTW the lane discipline in Spain is excellent.
Old 25 June 2010, 12:28 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Whilst the ranting is still prevalent. Today, on my way to work cyclists annoyed me(see other thread)
Some **** in a clapped out white BMW annoyed me because the rotten b@stard was doing 40/45ish on a 60mph dual carriage way.
He had maybe a dozen tools behind him doing the same speed.
I myself undertook the whole lot of them.

Further down said road I encounter another tool driving a focus estate doing 50ish in the 60 zone.
As I proceeded to undertake him, he of course started to speed up to try and prevent me getting past

Then I had the ********* on pushbikes with their gay attire

Maybe i'm just in a foul mood today
Old 25 June 2010, 01:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is worth remembering that it is illegal to overtake on the left except under certain circumstances which are quoted in the Highway Code, despite what a policeman tells you!

If you do overtake someone on the left and he moves to his left as he is entitled to do while you are overtaking him, if he hits you the accident will be entirely your fault. He is entitled not to expect someone overtaking him on his left and as long as the lane is clear when he looks in his mirror he is entitled to move into the left lane without expecting someone to suddenly appear on his left driving faster then him.

The whole point is, overtaking on the left in such a manner is a dangerous act.

Les
Old 25 June 2010, 01:53 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I remember this thread on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...king&mid=68210.

Anyway, the absolute offence of nearside overtake (or undertaking) was removed when the 1972 Road Traffic Act was introduced. Prior to then, there was a statutory offence but road conditions were different to what they were by 72, so it was all lumped in under section 3, careless driving or driving without reasonable consideration for another road user in the same way as hogging the centre lane of a Motorway is.

To prove the offence, it has to be established the the standard of driving fell below that of a reasonably competent driver, or that there was a momentary loss of concentration.

The reason for allowing this is that as traffic volumes built up, all too often traffic would sit in the centre and outside lanes whilst lane 1 remained clear, and it was impractical for traffic not to use that open lane.

Then as more and more people started to hog the centre lane, it was often considered dangerous to move from lane 1 to lane 3 and then back to 1.

Providing the vehicle undertaking does not weave from lane to lane, providing the circumstances make it acceptable, and provided the likelihood of a vehicle moving from the outside lane back into a nearside lane have been assessed, then there is not much problem.

I have just dealt with a case where a motorcyclist was undertaking down the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriageway with traffic slow moving in lane 2. A vehicle suddenly pulled from lane 2 into lane 1 and collided with the bike causing severe injuries to the rider and writing the bike off.

The car driver was judged to be 100% liable as even the insurers were not aware of the legislation about undertaking until it was pointed out to them.

It is a judgement call, and you have to ask if you can justify it. As an example I was on my way home from doing an investigation late one evening last week on the M4. Lane 2 had a driver dawdling along at about 50 in the middle lane with nothing in lane 1. Vehicle was approaching from behind at a reasonable speed and which I assumed was probably in lane 3, so I just remained steady and undertook the centre lane idiot.

The Police car (which was coming up from behind) followed me through and then tugged the centre lane hogger (which makes a change).
The bloke posting that then gave this CV.

Retired traffic officer. I now work in the private legal sector as an accident investigator advising solicitors and barristers on traffic law and liability, and I lecture to driving and motorcycle groups on accidents and traffic law to name but a few. I am also an advanced driving and riding examiner, advanced instructor for bikes and cars and a member of the Law Society panel of expert witnesses.
Steve
Old 25 June 2010, 02:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Nearly always undertook them to be honest, i can remember me and some chap in a BMW 5 series undertaking most of the way from the M25 up to Newcastle, i pulled of at Newcastle, he kept going, no idea who he was, he pretty much kept to the left for the entire journey, even using his indicators, quite impressive to find another of these rare creatures on the road these days

I gave him a little flash as i pulled off
Old 25 June 2010, 02:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is worth remembering that it is illegal to overtake on the left except under certain circumstances which are quoted in the Highway Code, despite what a policeman tells you!

If you do overtake someone on the left and he moves to his left as he is entitled to do while you are overtaking him, if he hits you the accident will be entirely your fault. He is entitled not to expect someone overtaking him on his left and as long as the lane is clear when he looks in his mirror he is entitled to move into the left lane without expecting someone to suddenly appear on his left driving faster then him.

The whole point is, overtaking on the left in such a manner is a dangerous act.

Les
I disagree Les - plus the cop that told me this is an established traffic cop.
What about conditions when the inside lane is moving faster than the overtaking lane and dingleberry in the overtaking lane just decides he wants to be in the inside lane?
Old 25 June 2010, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I disagree Les - plus the cop that told me this is an established traffic cop.
What about conditions when the inside lane is moving faster than the overtaking lane and dingleberry in the overtaking lane just decides he wants to be in the inside lane?
I covered that situation when I mentioned acceptable circumstances in my post. I did not know about what was said in the 1972 RTA I have to admit.

I agree absolutely how frustrating it can be when you do have some prat droning along in the outside lane holding everyone else up. I would certainly back any copper who booked him for unecessary obstruction. I have however seen people undertaking someone who was driving at the speed limit and approaching a slower car in the middle lane. The undertaking manoeuvre was done at a much higher speed and then the prat pulled across the front of the other car from his left and chopping him up as he did so. That was very dangerous and certainly not acceptable in any way.

I stand by the point I made though. If you do overtake on the left in normal traffic flow speeds then you do have to be very careful in case the other bloke does move towards his left hand lane. Slow moving traffic in the outer lane is a different situation and is far less likely to lead to an accident-although still not impossible.

Les
Old 25 June 2010, 07:29 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Annoys me too ... MOVE OVER FFS

TX.
Old 25 June 2010, 07:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Equally as annoying are the tools that refuse to overtake these lunatics creating a great f*cking convoy which then is virtually impossible to overtake as you'd need a clear road 2 miles long I'm out & about at 0630 & get this every day!

TX.

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Its just as bad on single roads. Im usually driving into work by 6.45am most mornings and the roads are relatively empty but even so 5 out of 10 times there is someone doing 35mph through a 40 which then breaks out to National speed limit and yep you guessed it they stay at 35mph. Its annoying as only one clear overtaking spot and you can guarentee that the one car you see on the other side of the road is coming toward you when you need to overtake.
Old 25 June 2010, 07:55 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I covered that situation when I mentioned acceptable circumstances in my post. I did not know about what was said in the 1972 RTA I have to admit.

I agree absolutely how frustrating it can be when you do have some prat droning along in the outside lane holding everyone else up. I would certainly back any copper who booked him for unecessary obstruction. I have however seen people undertaking someone who was driving at the speed limit and approaching a slower car in the middle lane. The undertaking manoeuvre was done at a much higher speed and then the prat pulled across the front of the other car from his left and chopping him up as he did so. That was very dangerous and certainly not acceptable in any way.

I stand by the point I made though. If you do overtake on the left in normal traffic flow speeds then you do have to be very careful in case the other bloke does move towards his left hand lane. Slow moving traffic in the outer lane is a different situation and is far less likely to lead to an accident-although still not impossible.

Les
your point is wrong though, the highway code states. Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake. If somone moves over and collides with you, THEY are responsible provided you are adhering to the rules as stated.

Quick Reply: Does using the outside lane get you there faster?