Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatso ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2010, 11:35 AM
More_Boost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gatso ?

Wonder if this could happen elsewhere,espeicially after all these spending cuts where announced ?

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/82...off_next_week/
Old 26 July 2010, 01:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Simple really. Go back to the numbers of traffic police that we used to have before they started to use Gatso's as a cash cow.

They are the blokes who will catch the pissheads, the uninsured, and the dangerous cars etc.

Les
Old 26 July 2010, 01:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I think the sensible thing to do would be to turn them off, but not inform anyone, that way they still act to deter drivers from speeding.

As Les says, a camera can't pick out an uninsured car or a drink driver. It requires a nose for being able to pick out the offending cars/drivers from all of the legit ones.
Old 26 July 2010, 01:27 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

This was the Sunday Times cover article. That paper named several counties that would follow suit.

Swindon has already done without cameras for a year. Does anyone know whether accident rates have rocketed as 'Safety' organisations have predicted may happen when these cameras are switched off?
Old 26 July 2010, 02:20 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Some torched a 'contraversial' Truvelo in Telford at the weekend - pictures of it in our local paper - absolutely annihilated it - lol

The 'SAFETY' Partnership could not confirm when it would be repaired - lol - no mention that they've all had their funding cut for any new cameras.... hahahahaha

I guess this may spread, once people get in the know!
Old 26 July 2010, 08:01 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
Simple really. Go back to the numbers of traffic police that we used to have before they started to use Gatso's as a cash cow.

They are the blokes who will catch the pissheads, the uninsured, and the dangerous cars etc.

Les
Never going to happen in this current climate and especially after camerons rant about (humberside?) and their lexus-pre election.
RPU departments are going be slashed as they are high maintenence...very effective,but not in favour at the mo.
SOCA will be next to be cut back...
Old 27 July 2010, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
Never going to happen in this current climate and especially after camerons rant about (humberside?) and their lexus-pre election.
RPU departments are going be slashed as they are high maintenence...very effective,but not in favour at the mo.
SOCA will be next to be cut back...
Who can expect a practical solution these days?

Les

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2010, 01:45 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

SOCA is being incorporated into the new NCA, along with various other bodies.
Old 27 July 2010, 01:46 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Some torched a 'contraversial' Truvelo in Telford at the weekend - pictures of it in our local paper - absolutely annihilated it - lol

The 'SAFETY' Partnership could not confirm when it would be repaired - lol - no mention that they've all had their funding cut for any new cameras.... hahahahaha

I guess this may spread, once people get in the know!
Good, the obsession with fining people for going 5 mph over the limit on a clear 60 road is stupid beyond belief, do i have to drive everywhere looking directly at my speedo, to hell with oaps and kids crossing roads, as long as i dont speed ill be ok!
Old 27 July 2010, 02:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
As Les says, a camera can't pick out an uninsured car or a drink driver. It requires a nose for being able to pick out the offending cars/drivers from all of the legit ones.
ANPR will help with that first one installed on most police cars now isn't it? Catching drink drivers is pure chance assuming that they're close to the limit rather than weaving all over the road!

TX.
Old 27 July 2010, 04:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Without the cameras, I think we'll see more traffic calming measures and speed humps on the roads instead, which are worse IMO.
Old 27 July 2010, 04:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Does anyone know whether accident rates have rocketed as 'Safety' organisations have predicted may happen when these cameras are switched off?
No they haven't.

No difference in the figures although the safety campaigenrs say that it is too early to tell.

Yes, of course it is
Old 27 July 2010, 05:07 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Terminator X;9516887]ANPR will help with that first one installed on most police cars now isn't it?

Unfortunately not...

Incidentally,personally,I've never understood the argument about gatsos causing issues as "I have to concentrate on watching my speedo".
I think that they are a good tool in the right places-accident "black" spots,outside schools etc.However, the positives were outweighed as they became cash cows from the government and our roads are still worse than most third world countries!
As a lot of the camera enforcement departments are Police run and partly civilianised,it can only mean more coppers on the streets,which has got to be what we all want...
Old 28 July 2010, 01:54 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
ANPR will help with that first one installed on most police cars now isn't it? Catching drink drivers is pure chance assuming that they're close to the limit rather than weaving all over the road!

TX.
Nope, it's only fitted to some and the vehicles it is fitted to are not the everyday response/patrol car but the more powerful vehicles which you need to have be an advanced driver to use, rather than just permitted (cannot use blues and two's) or intermediate (where you can use blues and two's but only in a car with under 115bhp).

Tonight I had a driver who blew 35. The hand-held Draeger unit gave the warn message. 36 and above and he'd have been coming down to the station. He's obviously been stopped many times before as he drew a spray out of his pocket which contains alcohol, but did not use it, in order to force me to wait 20 minutes to take his specimen of breath, just simply as if we are not 100% satisfied he hasn't consumed any alcohol in the last twenty minutes, we will not go ahead until that time has lapsed, giving extra time to drop below the limit. Crafty old bugger.