Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2010, 04:15 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!

Guys,

My poor rottie is being driven crazy by the scent of a fox which has marked it's scent on the neighbours fence which adjoins our garden.

I am at the end of my tether as nothing seems to work. I have telephoned the RSPCA, Fox Society, Kennel Club etc and no-one can help. Please don't make any funny comments as it is starting to affect my dog's health and I am desparate to do something to make things better for him.

I don't want suggestions of shooting the damn things either (no matter how attractive the thought!!) as it's the smell I need to get rid of. I am very worried now about my dog!

Please if anyone has had any experience or has any advice, please please please share it!

Thank you in advance,

Laura
Old 29 July 2010, 04:17 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Douse the fence in jayes fluid should get rid of that fox smell. Its coal tar basically and in a disenfectant too. Might need a couple of cans to get rid of it totally. Thats assuming you can get access to the bit of land where its marked.
Old 29 July 2010, 04:19 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

P##ss on it yourself

correction...

get your man to p##ss on it... female wee aint any good

Last edited by scooby L; 29 July 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 29 July 2010, 04:22 PM
retroDJ
Scooby Newbie

Failing that - tomato juice is supposed to irradicate strong animal scents!! Believe it or not its used to get rid of skunk odours - Im not quite sure how youd go about throwing tomato juice near the fence though!! A bit random i know but its better than harming said animals!!

Cheers
Old 29 July 2010, 04:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Don't matter what you put on it, your dog will still smell it, his sense of smell is at least 200x better than yours and dogs also smell in a different way to humans. They smell each item seperatly, imagine a stew, the dog would smell the meat, the peas, the onions ect ect all individually, thats how drug/money/explosive dogs work.

The scent will not do any harm to you dog. Can ypou fence the affected area off??

Last edited by Glowplug; 29 July 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 03:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats is pretty difficult because of the sensitivity of smell your dog will have. I imagine the only way is to somehow overcome the fox scent with a stronger smell as has been said. Never heard that one about tomato juice, but if it can help to get rid of the smell of a skunk, it has got to be very powerful. I once nearly ran over a skunk in Canada and the smell it fired off managed to permeate into the car from outside, totally sickening. One of my friends did run over one in his new car and it had to be left unused outside with the windows open for months to get rid of the smell.

Maybe if you poured tomato juice directly onto the fence where it was marked a few times it might do some good.

I hope your dog does not meet up with the fox. Might do him some harm.

Les
Old 30 July 2010, 03:13 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Put up a new fence panel?

Take your dog on holiday/to kennels for a couple of days?

When it comes to removing smells, I'm not sure what the active ingredients in tomato is, but Buzz rolls in fox poo fairly often. He then gets washed down with tomato ketchup and water to remove the smell. I'm not sure if this will work on a fence though.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:47 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys-will try the tomato juice suggestion before the pee one!!

Can't fence the area off as it is the fence panel right next to his kennel, which we can't move as of the way that the garden has been designed.

Can't put up a new fence panel either as they aren't ours and the neighbour they belong to is a bit of an ****!!

The rain does seem to have made things a bit easier for him but still not great!

Thanks for the help guys!

Laura
Old 31 July 2010, 10:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe try household ammonia diluted 50:50 in a spray bottle, then spray the areas affected (not sure what'll do to plants or skin, as its quite potent, so be careful if is windy).

I've done this to stop Rolly going mad at cat "scent" (****), he hates cats...one whiff and he goes insane. He can still smell them but he now doesn't get so wound up. He runs up to the usual places, has the odd bark or two then wanders off presuambly trying pick up the scent again.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 July 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:40 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am not too hot on animal behaviour but I wonder if your dog is just warning/telling you that someone had invaded his/your territory?

Our own small dog will bark away if some strange object has come into our garden but stops when we congratulate him for telling us. But this doesn't extend to foxes but food for thought perhaps?

I am sure thee are some knowledgeable dog owners on here will advise. I doubt if you will get rid of smell. Can you move kennel away from immediate surroundings? Would a walk through known fox areas teach him anything I wonder.

Good luck. dl
Old 31 July 2010, 12:14 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

ritchie21 > laura ?

lee and perrins worcester sauce.
Old 31 July 2010, 01:51 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

Ritchie21 is yes me!! That is to say Laura!!

Thanks for the suggestion - will try that if the tomato suggestion doesn't work!
Old 31 July 2010, 02:31 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Good luck ritchie/laura
Old 31 July 2010, 02:39 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

its gross, but you need human urine again it will need to be a blokes and its meant to be best in the morning ie: first wee of the day. bottle it and squirt it on the area that where the fox has marked. we had to do this at my mum and dads with our rottie, he was going mental!!
Old 31 July 2010, 02:51 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Hire pslewis for the day word is he is harder than chuck norris
Old 31 July 2010, 04:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Who said that then?

Les
Old 31 July 2010, 05:02 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

The internets
Old 31 July 2010, 05:10 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Have a go at this along the fence line

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/scoot-fox-r...100g-761-p.asp
Old 02 August 2010, 08:19 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Well guys, quick update and a thanks for all the suggestions. A friends dad was a gamekeeper and told us we ought to try the pee suggestion!! So, my long suffering husband for the past two mornings had pee'd into a bottle which has then duly been dispensed over the offending areas!

Fingers crossed-it seems to have worked!!

Thanks once again for the suggestions guys!