Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Visa Debit Card and Foreign Currency Charges

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 08:59 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visa Debit Card and Foreign Currency Charges

Just bought some NZ dollars on my debit card to avoid the cash advance fee that you get on credit cards. Check my statement now and see I got charged £4.50 for a cash advance. Ring Natwest who tell me this is charged by Visa not Natwest. When I explained I never got this charge with my old MAESTRO debit card he said yes but you get better protection with Visa and this was all explained in the leaflets they sent out when changing to VISA (the one that like most I scanned over and threw in the bin).

So anyone else get caught by this and a warning to those that werent aware.

Simon
Old 11 August 2010, 09:16 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Only last Monday

Used my Debit card in Belgium to get some euros out and came home to find a £2 charge.
first time this has happened to me as well
Old 11 August 2010, 09:50 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Yes, I wasn't impressed. I did read the leaflet, but as NatWest have dropped Maestro and my card was just about to expire I had no choice.

A (very) small consolation is that most other banks use Visa Debit so NatWest are just joining the crowd.

Steve
Old 05 October 2010, 08:00 PM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

Angry Rip off charges

I just got stung by this as well. I too thought that by paying using a debit card I would not have charges impossed by the card provider, i.e Natwest VISA debit. Got charged £2 for changing £100 into UAE currency. Not a happy bunny, £4.95 handling fee by ICE in Manchester aiport then Natwest £2. I won't make that mistake again!
Old 05 October 2010, 08:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Just bought some NZ dollars on my debit card to avoid the cash advance fee that you get on credit cards. Check my statement now and see I got charged £4.50 for a cash advance. Ring Natwest who tell me this is charged by Visa not Natwest. When I explained I never got this charge with my old MAESTRO debit card he said yes but you get better protection with Visa and this was all explained in the leaflets they sent out when changing to VISA (the one that like most I scanned over and threw in the bin).

So anyone else get caught by this and a warning to those that werent aware.

Simon
if i knew this when they forced one on me id have told the feekers where to stuff theyre bloody visa debit card

Last edited by dpb; 05 October 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ONLY way it seems you can avoid A 20 QUID booking fee for example on our flights to and fro to france for the pair of us is to get a 'prepaid' credit card

- which of course incurs a maintainence charge for each card , so no - its impossible
Old 05 October 2010, 08:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbo wrx
I just got stung by this as well. I too thought that by paying using a debit card I would not have charges impossed by the card provider, i.e Natwest VISA debit. Got charged £2 for changing £100 into UAE currency. Not a happy bunny, £4.95 handling fee by ICE in Manchester aiport then Natwest £2. I won't make that mistake again!
it sucks.

Is annoying as I want to buy a prepaid Travelex cash passport but as you can only order online I have to pay with card so no way around it.

As for telling Natwest where to stick it - tbh I dont think you had a choice taking the Visa Debit and its not like they are the only ones doing it.

Simon
Old 05 October 2010, 09:03 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
it sucks.

Is annoying as I want to buy a prepaid Travelex cash passport but as you can only order online I have to pay with card so no way around it.

As for telling Natwest where to stick it - tbh I dont think you had a choice taking the Visa Debit and its not like they are the only ones doing it.

Simon
It's never cost me anything extra to load my CaxtonFX Prepaid card with my Barclays Visa debit card, don't know quite what the difference is but it seems to work for me, at least it always has done up until July this year.
I might find out differently in a few weeks time when I need to load more Euros onto it!