Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Work nightmare, whats the best way forward

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 10:03 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work nightmare, whats the best way forward

I've been made privvy to information that most of the team I work in are looking for a new job becuase of the team leader.

1 of the people sent out CV's last night which is not a good sign as she has 14 years service so far.

Now I'm the most senior engineer on the team, the quandry I'm in is do I tell the manager that the team leader is causing so much bad blood amongst the staff that most of them are now looking for new jobs.

Obviously if I do, no names can be mentioned.

Whats your thoughts on this, and yes, he is 1 of the reasons I posted about a career change a couple of weeks ago.
Old 13 August 2010, 10:11 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Absolutely not.

You would be viewed as stirring up trouble, fact is that if the people in that team are so pathetic that they don't raise his (the team leaders) deficiencies as an issue with his line manager then to be honest the best thing for the company is that they leave. No loyalty being shown at all....

People are commodities in business and you should be looking after yourself rather than being considered as a tell tale - and that would be the view the management would have of you rather than the workers.

To be fair you're looking to use others opinions to support your own, don't - you need to refocus and come up with a better strategy, there'll be one there you just haven't seen it yet...
Old 13 August 2010, 10:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If you have a good relationship with the manager then speak to him/her, off site over a beer?

Loosing good people, people with experience that a company has invested a lot of time and training in is not good news (from the companies pov) and will not reflect well on the manager if a few leave and the reason(s) why could well become apparent at the leavers exit interview.

The manager should manage, manage the workload and the people there and should be given the chance to sort this out although a real-good manager should know what is going on in their department anyway but give them the heads up, mention no names and see what happens. If nothing is done then you have tried.

Sh*t team leaders and managers tend to move about a bit, usually 24 months is roughly the time in each company as it takes that long to find out they are rubbish and trouble and to get rid.

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 August 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 13 August 2010, 11:41 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Absolutely not.

You would be viewed as stirring up trouble, fact is that if the people in that team are so pathetic that they don't raise his (the team leaders) deficiencies as an issue with his line manager then to be honest the best thing for the company is that they leave. No loyalty being shown at all....

People are commodities in business and you should be looking after yourself rather than being considered as a tell tale - and that would be the view the management would have of you rather than the workers.

To be fair you're looking to use others opinions to support your own, don't - you need to refocus and come up with a better strategy, there'll be one there you just haven't seen it yet...
Eh?

You've said not to speak to the Manager - and then inferred that Simon, as a member of the same team would be pathetic if he didn't speak to the Manager and raise the issue of the deficient Team Leader...

I say, if you have a good relationship with him then have a chat with the Manager and raise your concerns - but on an informal, "just thought you'd be interested to receive some personal feedback" kinda way.

DN
Old 13 August 2010, 11:53 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

No loyalty being shown at all....

People are commodities in business
If you think people are commodities in business, why do you think they should have any loyalty?
Old 13 August 2010, 11:57 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Leave it for a while, give them enough rope......and all that. I'm sure your manager isn't stupid
Old 13 August 2010, 01:42 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

Well personally I would book a bit of time with your manager to voice your concerns. Explain you are not the voice of the team but are speaking for yourself as a concerned employee.

Put your point across clearly and make sure you any evidence to prove your issues. You may also imply that these concerns spread throughout the team and your not the only one.

You may find that the Manager already knows about the Team Leader and just needs a bit more info.

You never know you may be asked to fill the Team Leader role if they give him the boot

Trending Topics

Old 13 August 2010, 02:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would imagine that the manager would find out soon enough from those who are leaving when they are asked why they want to go.

As advised, best you keep out of it unless asked.

Les
Old 13 August 2010, 02:06 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be inclined to go an approach the manager for an off the record chat.
Old 13 August 2010, 02:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

IMHO just ignore it all as none of your business. If people leave in droves it will serve the POS right + should get noticed for what it is by the team leaders boss.

TX.

Edit - once a person hands in their Notice (or indeed is seriously thinking about it) then it's gone too far & you should always let them leave. I've been persuaded to stay in the past & it was always a terrible idea - companies / people do not change.

Last edited by Terminator X; 13 August 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 13 August 2010, 03:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I would canvass other employees whether, rather than changing jobs because of him that a better option may be to go as a group and voice your concerns about this individual, will carry a lot more weight than just turning up on your own.

Failing that, kill him
Old 13 August 2010, 03:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Would this team leader have any input in to future references?
Old 13 August 2010, 04:06 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Eh?

You've said not to speak to the Manager - and then inferred that Simon, as a member of the same team would be pathetic if he didn't speak to the Manager and raise the issue of the deficient Team Leader...

I say, if you have a good relationship with him then have a chat with the Manager and raise your concerns - but on an informal, "just thought you'd be interested to receive some personal feedback" kinda way.

DN

What I meant to say was ..... they should raise their OWN issues with their respective manager rather than raising other peoples issues, which is tittle tattle however you cut it....

"Just thought you should know that I'm a gossip and that this blokes team are all planning to leave... blah...blah" won't help anyone....

Old 13 August 2010, 04:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
If you think people are commodities in business, why do you think they should have any loyalty?
Because business see people as nothing more than commodities end of... what increases the value of that commodity is the technical skills of that individual as well as their loyalty to the brand.

So if you want to be something more than just a number start working hard and showing some loyalty otherwise at the first reshuffle it's likely you'll be down the road.

Loyalty is not gossiping about other teams or staff members.
Old 13 August 2010, 04:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Throw the Jew down the well!!!
Old 13 August 2010, 04:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

As an employer, I have had people just leave and never mention the real reasons even when asked at appraisals/exit interviews. Eventually some did and things got sorted out. Because people didn't speak up and I'm not a mind reader, we had disruption, employees were absent/distressed, and the whole place didn't run right.
Old 13 August 2010, 05:45 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd have a quiet word with my manager and let them know they are in danger of losing their team because of X. At this point it's up to them whether their workforce leaves or not, and believe me, keeping a small team of good people is far more important than one individual, who clearly has issues as it is.
Old 13 August 2010, 05:53 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Because business see people as nothing more than commodities end of... what increases the value of that commodity is the technical skills of that individual as well as their loyalty to the brand.

So if you want to be something more than just a number start working hard and showing some loyalty otherwise at the first reshuffle it's likely you'll be down the road.

Loyalty is not gossiping about other teams or staff members.
But it's not OTHER teams - it's HIS team...
Old 13 August 2010, 07:01 PM
Lisawrx

Would the rest of the team be willing to speak up if asked? Have you asked them this? There is nothing worse than if you go to the manager raising your concerns, and then the rest turn around and say there isn't a problem. If you can't be sure they'd say anything, then why not go an have an informal chat and raise just how you feel and not speak for others.

I've seen this happen too many times, and it will make you look like you are stirring up problems, unless of course the manager is already aware the team leader is disliked/causing people to be unhappy at work and just needs people to actually speak out about it.

As John says, if nobody speaks up, how can a manager help? I'd just be careful you aren't left standing up about it on your own.
Old 14 August 2010, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Far better that it comes from those who are leaving, they have nothing to lose. You could find yourself being regarded as a whistle blower or worse so I would certainly keep out of the matter.

Les
Old 14 August 2010, 02:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Far better that it comes from those who are leaving, they have nothing to lose. You could find yourself being regarded as a whistle blower or worse so I would certainly keep out of the matter.

Les
Surely this is down to the relationship you have with the manager...
Old 14 August 2010, 02:32 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Dont interfere, the manager may well like the team leader, then your a trouble maker. Plus most threats of leaving (I said most) are just hot air, and those in the team are unlikely to support you if asked if there's a problem. Been there done that!
Old 14 August 2010, 03:32 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Surely this is down to the relationship you have with the manager...
It should only be professional from the manager down - so there should never be a situation where you can bum lick and tittle tattle on others
Old 15 August 2010, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite so.

Les