Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fountain Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2010, 04:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Angry Fountain Pumps

Are they ALL sh*t? We have a little two tier ornamental fountain. I can't remember the exact figure but it must be on its fourth pump now. They seem to last about three years then die. We've had a different brand everytime, so I'd think at least one of them would have lasted a bit longer.

The previous one was a Lotus Little Diamiond, like its predecessors a phase coil died so it will only start up when I manually spin the impellar.

The current one that just died is a Hozelock Cascade 700, of which has shorted out internally and keeps tripping the main RCD (I'll have to thank the sparky for putting the pump spur on the same RCD as both upstairs and downstairs ring mains...not fun when it tripped last night and wouldn't reset ).

Anyhoo, enough moaning. Does a small pump exist that will last longer than five years (Do Miele make fountain pumps? ), one that'd last ten years would be nice.

I think bigger fountain pumps are probably better quality, but using one of them would turn the peacful trickle into niagra falls

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 August 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 14 August 2010, 04:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like thousands of others I expect, I have an Aquamax submersible pump in my pond and they, touch wood, go on for years. But you are being a bit harsh as 5 years isn't too bad for a tiddly pump.

Much too big for what you want but worth checking the name and seeing if they do a smaller "fountain" version.

Also try Bradshaws Direct, a good internet site for things like this. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 14 August 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 14 August 2010, 05:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers David, I'll have a look at their website

I'm a little peeved off as some of them were not cheap (not helped by me paying full RRP from a pond shop for some). In fairness, the last pump was £25 which has lasted about as long as the previous Lotus one which was about £45. I don't mind paying that much if would have lasted longer.
Old 15 August 2010, 11:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Been rifling through my paperwork: Would you believe the Hozelock pump had a 3yr gaurantee. It was purchased...05/12/2007. It was also on special offer (TLC direct) so only cost £12.80 (clearance stock reduced from £25 ).

I'm not so annoyed now Lets see if Hozelock will honour it.

Also found the bits for the old Lotus Diamond pump....Its retail was £57.99 reduced to £45 with a 2yr guarantee. I was well and truely ripped off on that day.