Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moral question

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2010, 07:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moral question

I have been approached with the opportunity for promotion which if i'm honest about, I could do with as I need the extra money. Now here is were the moral part comes in, if I take the promotion a good friend of mine potentially will lose his job. I am in no way interested in the company or job but as said could do with the money but would leave if another opportunity elsewhere became avaliable.

What would SN do?
Old 30 August 2010, 07:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the few facts on offer:

Take promotion, look after number 1
Old 30 August 2010, 07:13 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

If you were looking at the company as a career choice then maybe and only maybe would i consider it. As you could end up leaving as soon as a better opportunity came along is losing a friend really worth the extra money to you? If you manage to keep hold of this friend if you did indeed take the job, then imagine how they'd feel if after contributing to them losing theirs you left anyway.

Will this guy lose his job anyway if someone else gets the promotion?
Old 30 August 2010, 07:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Take the promotion and deny any knowledge of the possibility of your mate losing his job.

Ask yourself, if the promotion was offered to your friend instead, would he turn it down for you?

Also, if you don't take it, the company could see it as you have no ambition. Therefore why are they employing you? The exit door is over there.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Take the promotion and deny any knowledge of the possibility of your mate losing his job.

Ask yourself, if the promotion was offered to your friend instead, would he turn it down for you?

Also, if you don't take it, the company could see it as you have no ambition. Therefore why are they employing you? The exit door is over there.
sadly, +1
Old 30 August 2010, 07:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Dog eat dog, its sucky, very wrong, but how our capitalist world works

You can stand and fight it, and risk getting eaten by the system, or just roll with it. Choice is only yours to make.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Dog eat dog, its sucky, very wrong, but how our capitalist world works

You can stand and fight it, and risk getting eaten by the system, or just roll with it. Choice is only yours to make.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

its a very poor situation to be in as this guy has helped out big style in the low times and if the roles were reversed, I doubt he'd take the job as its just the sort of guy he is. I've got a few days to think about it but its been nagging me all day.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

How would you mate lose his job possibly? Is it his current role the one you've been offered? If that is the case it's maybe your mates fault if he is under performing. I would personally go for it on that assumption as it isn't your fault if he wasn't doing the role required of him.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:30 PM
Rick16v
Scooby Regular

If the post being filled results in your mates redundancy, you turning it down won't stop the inevitable? Someone else will fill it and he will lose his job anyway and you will have missed the promotion. If that's the case then take it. If you and only you taking the job will result in his redundancy, of course you cant take it. Who screws their mates over for their own gain? You did say he is a GOOD friend. They are hard to come by.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:03 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

How can your promotion effect AN Other? Two can't possibly be linked ...

IMHO do what's right for you ie look after Number One.

TX.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:13 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
How can your promotion effect AN Other? Two can't possibly be linked ...
Because the company want me to take over his job.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:18 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Why? And would they replace him with someone else anyway if you don't accept??
Old 31 August 2010, 12:23 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Why? And would they replace him with someone else anyway if you don't accept??
I've done the job before plus i trained him to do his job but I left the company and have now returned. I don't know if he'd be replaced if I don't accept the job either as everything is a little cloak and dagger at the moment.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:30 AM
Lisawrx

I've done the job before plus i trained him to do his job but I left the company and have now returned. I don't know if he'd be replaced if I don't accept the job either as everything is a little cloak and dagger at the moment.
It's a really difficult one. Morally, I probably wouldn't do it for a few reasons. If I didn't know if he'd be replaced to begin with colour my opinion. But more imporantly, he's your pal, he has been there for you when times have been tough for you and if that were me, I just don't think I could do it. Even more so as you've said he probably wouldn't do that to you. Plus you'd leave if you had the chance, so effectively you take his job then leave shortly down the line....

I really wish someone could make the decision for you as it's such a hard one to call. On the one hand you are better off (job/money wise), on the other you possibly lose a good mate.

Do you know if they'd offer him another role, or just sack him?
Old 31 August 2010, 12:34 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

from what i've heard they are wanting a bit of a culling session, so I really don't know. Then again if they are in for a culling and i don't do as they say, I could find myself out on me earhole!

The past 3years i've had nothing but difficulty with jobs and for the last 7/8months everything has been breezey and because I do a good job they throw spanners in my works.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:44 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Eh? Can't happen like that. Only jobs get made redundant ie not people. If a tribunal were told he/she has been made redundant yet AN Other is doing the job they'd (a) p*ss themselves (b) award compo to person made redundant.

TX.

Edit - I still think you should look after yourself & let others worry about themselves.

Last edited by Terminator X; 31 August 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:47 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I don't know how they will do it, I just know the part they want me to play.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:51 AM
Alg
Scooby Regular

If he's really a mate then you already know you won't take the job.
If he's just an aquaintance then the opposite should be true.
Old 31 August 2010, 12:51 AM
Alg
Scooby Regular

oops
Old 31 August 2010, 12:52 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ I really don't get that. He'll more than likely lose his job anyway by the sound of it so why should the OP lose out too?

TX.
Old 31 August 2010, 01:03 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It really gets on my t!ts the way so many managers obviously think of their staff as little more than trained monkeys. The perfect outcome here would be for both jamz and his mate to find jobs elsewhere and walk, and see where that leaves their smart-alec of a manager, but obviously we don't live in a perfect world.

Would hate to be in that position, not sure what I'd do.
Old 31 August 2010, 01:13 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Eh? Can't happen like that. Only jobs get made redundant ie not people. If a tribunal were told he/she has been made redundant yet AN Other is doing the job they'd (a) p*ss themselves (b) award compo to person made redundant.

TX.

Edit - I still think you should look after yourself & let others worry about themselves.
If the company says words like 'consolidation' they will get off. They can't make you edundant and then employ someone to do what you do, but if they can justify that one person can cover all the requirements of both jobs, you would be hard pushed to demonstrate that they ever needed two people to do one job to start with
Old 31 August 2010, 01:26 AM
Lisawrx

I don't know how they will do it, I just know the part they want me to play.
I think you perhaps need to find out more information, but only your conscience can really tell you what to do. It depends totally on what you value more, and the risks that could go with such a decision.

For what it's worth, I feel for you having this going on.
Old 31 August 2010, 07:19 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am not convinced of this situation. Is this your interpretation or have you been told unequivocally that you will get the role and your mate will be fired?

Or are they creating a new role that you have been offered and your mate's old role has been made redundant.

Here would be my view.

Your mate is going to be fired/made redundant no matter what. I would be VERY surprised if a company was so naive as to tell you before your mate as that has all sorts of legal ramifications - nevertheless if they have told you and it is not your supposition then he is going no matter what.

What you do is up to you. If you want a better job then that is great. Given what you have described and you don't take and they are looking to consolidate then I suspect you both may be made redundant.

The one thing that sticks out to me is that you taking the job is not making your mate redundant/fired. Your company wants him out.

Now if they were promoting you and then wanting you to fire him - totally different matter!
Old 31 August 2010, 10:36 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Trout - This is my interpretation of what will happen based on all the information that has been spouted to me. I know that the job is mine if I want it and as it is my friends job, it leaves nowhere in the company for him to go as they are not satisfied with his performance.

As for the company being niave enough to tell me before telling him, this is the same company I have asked for advice on their behaviour before. They seem to have their own rule book.
Old 31 August 2010, 10:43 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Trout - This is my interpretation of what will happen based on all the information that has been spouted to me. I know that the job is mine if I want it and as it is my friends job, it leaves nowhere in the company for him to go as they are not satisfied with his performance.

As for the company being niave enough to tell me before telling him, this is the same company I have asked for advice on their behaviour before. They seem to have their own rule book.
Given what you have said I wouldn't take a job with a company willing the break the law.

Tell your mate what's going on, Get him to speak to a good employment lawyer / citizen's advice and tell the company to take a running jump.
Old 31 August 2010, 11:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well it's good of you to consider your mate.

I'd have a chat with your friend and explain the situation. No need to hit him hard, just say you would be worried about his role if you accepted the job. Sounds like the writing in on the wall for him anyway. He may even be aware of that. dl
Old 31 August 2010, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do Jamz you will have to live with it. You have already said how your mate would act. Can you bring yourself to do the opposite?

I know what I would do!

Les
Old 31 August 2010, 04:15 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If you don't take the job then I think you are both gone.

Your friend is going anyway. And you will be gone for not lacking corporate commitment.

Quick Reply: Moral question