Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mountain bike, whats it worth

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2010, 11:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mountain bike, whats it worth

I have a Kona Bear, quite old (2002) full suss job, pretty tidy, I bought it off a lad at work
and never used it, it has Hayes Hydraulic disk brakes, Marzocchi Bomber forks, new cassette.

Going to stick it on Ebay and see what happens but if there are any MTB experts on here what should I expect to get for it, I am thinking £150/200, is that about right ?
Old 31 August 2010, 12:37 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...7_1493crx.aspx

I'd say it depends on the condition. Was one hell of a lot of money brand new apparently. Depends if you really want to be rid of it or make a reasonable price. If the bike is in good nick and rides well, no unusual knocks, bangs or worn out bits, then price it accordingly.

The Kona Dawg appears to be the successor. That's £1100 or £999 with a discount.

OTOH, price up the components and see what total you end up with. A bike that expensive would probably have a £250 fork on it as a minimum.

Try googling shopping links for Marzocchi bomber.

J.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:17 AM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Good bike - good brand. If it's in good condition too, then it should easy pull more than £200!

If you were to break it, a set of hayes hydraulics would go for around £60 on their own, similar for air sprung bombers (probably more if coil/oil), £50 minimum for a pair of decent disc wheels and another £100 (maybe) for the frame+shock. Plus whatever you can get for the rest.....
Old 31 August 2010, 09:19 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, it rides ok, needs a LH gear cable and probably a once over by someone who knows what they are doing but for its ages its reasonably tidy, think I will stick it on Ebay and see what happens, want to buy a MK2 Golf with the 20 vt engine and need to clear some stuff out first !
Old 31 August 2010, 12:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Agree with above.

Last year I bought a new Scott Scale 35 so decided to sell my 6 yr old Cannondale Scalpel full suss.

The Scalpel had an RRP of £2000, although I bought it for £1500. Got £470 cash for it on Gumtree after having difficulty getting over £400 on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 31 August 2010, 02:39 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Cheers guys, it rides ok, needs a LH gear cable and probably a once over by someone who knows what they are doing but for its ages its reasonably tidy, think I will stick it on Ebay and see what happens, want to buy a MK2 Golf with the 20 vt engine and need to clear some stuff out first !
J4CKO, are you dropping a Fiat Coupe 20VT block in the golf?
Old 31 August 2010, 03:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
J4CKO, are you dropping a Fiat Coupe 20VT block in the golf?
No, think that would be quite good but a major challenge ! its the 4 cylinder, 5 valves per cyclinder VW unit, quite a common conversion done to MK1,2 and 3 Golf's, basically its a case of take the engine from a Golf, TT, Leon, Octavia etc etc, anything labelled as 1.8T and
with some work it bolts nicely into the earlier, much lighter models. This engines is generally regarded as very tunable, there are variations like engine orientation, throttle type, internals, valve sizes but mainly the turbo fitted, the TT/S3 unit has a bigger turbo and stronger internals and is regarded as the best option as dropped straight in with a remap its 270 bhp, other stuff can be done depending on budget.

I am not planning on doing the conversion work myself, though I would love to but I don't have a big enough garage, the time or open ended budget, with one thats already done I am hoping to buy it and just run it, dotn do much mileage (current car, 7,000 in three years) so might as well, just trying to convinve my less than enthusiastic wife. Got my 40th coming up in Nov so hopefully will use that as leverage, not too much to ask at 40 is it really, a tarted up old Golf !