Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Walking up Ben Nevis.

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 06:30 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walking up Ben Nevis.

I'm sure many of you must have done this? I did it last friday, being of of advanced age I found it extremely difficult, it took me nine hours for the round trip. Although I did rest for an hour on the summit. I really struggled with cramp in both legs from around two thirds of the way up. I am still stiff and the cramped muscles are still very painfull.

Fastest round trip is an unbelievable one hour fifty minutes for a runner.

So how did any of you do?
Old 01 September 2010, 06:36 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you get cramp you basically aren't drinking enough water. You should carry some with you and make sure you are properly hydrated before, during and after such exercise.

The Isotonic drinks and the like add the salts you'll be short of as well, so one of these is always a good idea. I take a bottle of water / cordial mix with 4 heaped teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt when cycling anything over 20 miles.

I got through 3 litres on Saturday during a 100km ride and still needed more.
Old 01 September 2010, 07:26 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

The current records for the race are:

1hr 25min 34sec (mens record) and 1hr 43min 25sec (ladies record).

I did the race in 1983 and took just under 2hrs 20mins and the last mile along the road to the finish was the worst mile I've run in my life.

Sime
Old 01 September 2010, 07:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I'm sure many of you must have done this? I did it last friday, being of of advanced age I found it extremely difficult, it took me nine hours for the round trip. Although I did rest for an hour on the summit. I really struggled with cramp in both legs from around two thirds of the way up. I am still stiff and the cramped muscles are still very painfull.

Fastest round trip is an unbelievable one hour fifty minutes for a runner.

So how did any of you do?
Sounds like you are out of shape.
Old 01 September 2010, 07:59 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I did the 3 Peaks with a team of differing ages and fitness in 21 hours, that was starting at the bottom of Ben Nevis, up, down, travel to Scafell Pike, up, down, then travel to Snowdon, up then you guessed it, down! A good p1ss up was had by all after. Well worth doing.
Old 01 September 2010, 08:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Even so he may hold some kind of record

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2010, 11:05 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Did it a few years back, was in relatively good shape at the time, was on holiday for a week in Oban and had been doing some mountain biking and walking during the week so nicely warmed up Climbed it with my brother and may have been it a bit quicker if I wasn't with him, was completely screwed the next day however

In my defence it was the hottest June day I've ever experienced in Scotland and we'd been drinking a little bit the night before Drank three litres of water from my CamelBak on the way up and two bottles of Lucozade Sport. View from the top was stunning. Think it took us around 6 - 7 hours all in. Had a pint at the bottom to celebrate
Old 02 September 2010, 01:54 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Just a shame that it is such an ugly mountain and coupled with Fort William being at the bottom, it really doesn't have much (aesthetically anyway !) going for it.

Just always saddens me when tourists flock to climb it for obvious reasons when there are so many other more challenging and beautiful climbs up here that are far more worthy (IMHO)

Anyway, well done to the OP for managing it
Old 02 September 2010, 02:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Just a shame that it is such an ugly mountain and coupled with Fort William being at the bottom, it really doesn't have much (aesthetically anyway !) going for it.

Just always saddens me when tourists flock to climb it for obvious reasons when there are so many other more challenging and beautiful climbs up here that are far more worthy (IMHO)

Thought the view down into Glen Nevis was quite nice myself as well as those out towards Loch Eil etc.

Have bagged a few other Munros in my time though
Old 02 September 2010, 03:13 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Anyone see the speed climber on the program about the north face of the Eiger last night? Bottom to top in just over 2 hours completely solo and unprotected by the looks of things.
Old 03 September 2010, 11:30 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
You are probably right, I'm certainly a little overweight. But I cycle around 50 to 60 mainly off road miles a week and do a 7 to 10 mile Peak district walk every couple of weeks.

Whilst I really struggled I did do the walk in a good time less than others (many younger than my mid sixties) who walked the Mountain the same day.

I certainly dont drink as much as I should as I have serious water work problems from major cancer surgery (butchery) some years back. But I've always had a problem with cramp.

Whilst it took me a long time, I'm still chuffed to have done it.
Old 03 September 2010, 12:28 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

I was find mountain fitness a funny thing. Old chaponce told me the only way to prepare is to climb mountians.
Old 03 September 2010, 12:41 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
If you get cramp you basically aren't drinking enough water. You should carry some with you and make sure you are properly hydrated before, during and after such exercise.

The Isotonic drinks and the like add the salts you'll be short of as well, so one of these is always a good idea. I take a bottle of water / cordial mix with 4 heaped teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt when cycling anything over 20 miles.

I got through 3 litres on Saturday during a 100km ride and still needed more.
I'm in the electrolyte tablets (eg Nuun, Zym, High5 Zero). Avoids the evil gut rot and stomach cramps a bladder full of energy drinks give me.
Old 03 September 2010, 01:02 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ben is for all the nutters and tourists, us locals dont bother with it.

I see the Ben every day when I look the right of my front window and Aonach Mor to the left.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 03 September 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03 September 2010, 01:13 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time I go mountain climbing I will take some more appropriate clothes. I went up in shoes shorts and tshirt on a lovely sunny day, and came down soaked to the bone unable to feel my hands or feet
Old 03 September 2010, 01:16 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiPie

Your completely correct on this one.
Fort William is complete embarrassment, the town is falling apart with most of the shops shut down. There is nothing for visitors to do here, the town consists of tartan shops and several pubs.
To top it of you will get ripped off up here, you pay a hell of a lot more up here for anything.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 03 September 2010 at 01:19 PM.