Don't make a joke if you're a Muslim

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 02:41 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Don't make a joke if you're a Muslim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ke-stands.html

A Muslim man who told his wife "I divorce thee" three times in an online Skype messenger conversation has been told the separation stands.

The ruling, made in an online fatwa by the Darul Uloom Deobandi seminary in northern India, regarded as one of Islam's leading authorities on religious law said that the woman would have to first marry another man before she could remarry her first husband.

The man, from Qatar, wrote to the seminary following his Skype joke to seek clarification.

"Jokingly typed 'talak, talak, talak' (I divorce thee, I divorce thee, I divorce thee) to my wife on Skype chat. I don't understand Islam very much and did not know about how talaq works. We love each other very much and want to be together but right now [we are] caught in this thing. Want to know a way out," he wrote.

His hopes of a "way out" were dashed when the seminary issued a fatwa confirming his wife must first remarry another man, consummate the marriage, and then divorce him before she could be allowed to remarry her first husband.

"When you gave three talaqs, your wife became "haram" (forbidden) for you. Neither you have the right to take her back nor solemnise a new "nikah" (marriage) without a valid "halalah" (second marriage). After the completion of "iddah" (a three month waiting period following a divorce), the woman can marry whomever she wishes except you," the fatwa stated.

The ruling means it the couple will have to wait at least six months to remarry and bear the strain of the wife remarrying, having sex with another man, and divorcing again.
"Allah and his Prophet has said the worst thing a couple does is to seek divorce. This is a hated act but the provision for Talaq in Islam is for unavoidable circumstances not for teasing or jokes," said Maulana Arshid Madani, President of Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind, one of the largest Muslim organisations in India.
Old 30 October 2010, 08:19 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

How many people are going to start typing that now lol?
Old 30 October 2010, 09:08 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Lucky him, I wish thing's were that simple here, there would be alot more single women on the go.
Old 30 October 2010, 09:21 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can he not just say i re-marry thee 3 times to reverse the i divorce thee
Old 30 October 2010, 09:23 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I guess it could be worse. He could have typed Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.....
Old 30 October 2010, 09:40 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

That can't stand as an official islamic divorce can it?! Surely it would have to involve something barbaric like the wife being beheaded or having 1000 lashes to be valid under sharia law?..
Old 30 October 2010, 09:40 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

This story blows...

Firstly WTF is he doing seeking clarification over a Skype message, this smacks of him being some distance away from the matrimonial home (hence using Skype) and them having a discussion about their relationship.... followed by a falling out and then the infamous "I divorce thee" lines.

I would imagine at that point she's kicked him into touch by accepting his divorce and hence he's gone for clarification with some bearded religious type - only to find she's got an iron clad divorce.

Conclusion: Who cares what these stupid feckwits have done regardless of their religion, a picture of her would have been useful though
Old 30 October 2010, 09:51 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Backward cultures........lol
Old 30 October 2010, 10:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not worth messing about with that business.

Les
Old 30 October 2010, 10:24 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

he probalby has to split his benefits with her now.
Old 30 October 2010, 10:27 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Works out well if you've ever wanted to see your wife humped by another man.....every cloud has a silver lining n' all that
Old 30 October 2010, 10:40 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

amazing how they can change the rule book that they live thier life by that was written thousands of years ago to apply to modern life . bit like the witnesses not having blood transfusions . i mean wtf is that all about like they had skype thousands of years ago and people could do a blood transfusion thousands of years ago, the bible meant thou shall not take blood as in drink it and the koran well it probably meant write it on paper or say it to thier face 3 time , noy send it over a electronic highway that didnt exist then