Old 30 October 2010, 06:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coincidence?

UK airlines back call for airport security changes
...and a couple of days later...
UK cargo plane device was bomb - British Government

We may still be in a recession, but the security theatre is fully funded, alive and well and trying to scare everybody into compliance and obedience

mb
Old 30 October 2010, 06:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I was thinking exactly the same thing, amazing coincidence.... almost as if....
Old 30 October 2010, 07:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

At least they didn't put two jumbo's into the side of a busy building to prove their point this time.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
UK airlines back call for airport security changes
...and a couple of days later...
UK cargo plane device was bomb - British Government

We may still be in a recession, but the security theatre is fully funded, alive and well and trying to scare everybody into compliance and obedience

mb
Would it be better to kick all security into touch and accept the risk do you think?

Les
Old 31 October 2010, 01:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leslie
Would it be better to kick all security into touch and accept the risk do you think?

Les
+1
Old 31 October 2010, 01:33 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
At least they didn't put two jumbo's into the side of a busy building to prove their point this time.
Blowing up a cargo plane over say London/Birmingham/Manchester/Glasgow could easily kill as many as shoving a plane into a building...with none of the risks heightened security, is why this option is no longer viable - air marshals increase airport security and attack proof cabin doors make this sort of threat almost impossible.

sticking a few pounds of home made and apparently undetectable explosives into a toner cartridge and posting it is a cheap, easy option.

If those two or indeed more do detonate it could stop air travel altogether for some time - win/win for the ***** in al queda
Old 31 October 2010, 02:35 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I feel I should point out that we we're being attacked by the IRA for many, many years and managed to survive without too many cuts and scratches - the answer is simple, either Pakistan, Yemen and all the other crapola countries sort their **** out or we'll simply stop flying to/from there...

Next...
Old 31 October 2010, 02:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I feel I should point out that we we're being attacked by the IRA for many, many years and managed to survive without too many cuts and scratches - the answer is simple, either Pakistan, Yemen and all the other crapola countries sort their **** out or we'll simply stop flying to/from there...

Next...
Tell that to the families of those who were murdered!

Les
Old 31 October 2010, 02:48 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Grow up you silly man.
Old 31 October 2010, 02:49 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Les
No, but we should stop harmless old Grannies having to take their shoes off at airport security desks.
Not just for security reasons but I tend to fly Easyjet or Ryanair, jeez, some of the Grannies' feet are minging.

Oh, and I thought it was very coincidental also.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Les
Oh course not, we need a certain level of security but not this ridiculous security theatre that continues to be played year after year with increasing levels of intrusive measures. Heck for the past fours years the UK Threat Level has been bouncing between severe and critical (in other words, since they invented another way to "worry us"). And as Alg says, over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people have been stopped and searched by police using controversial anti-terror powers in JUST ONE YEAR!!!!!

I remember flying from Schiphol on the early eighties and was surprised that we had to put our hand baggage through an x-ray machine - yet nobody else did. It turns out that my flight to Birmingham continued to Belfast so they needed to check things more carefully. But that was it - no perv scanners, no "take off your shoes and belt", no "only pipettes full of liquid can be carried (and even then in an expensive plastic bag)", no "Merka needs details of your credit card and IP address before you can fly".

And that was to stop the IRA, who were real terrorists, with real guns, who really killed people, and exploded real bombs with real explosives (i.e. semtex, rather than the dopey losers who seem to fill their rucksacks (or underpants) with sherbet!).

Nope, we are currently being manipulated by persons unknown with some hidden agenda that almost certainly means giving them more power

mb
Old 31 October 2010, 10:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

And that was to stop the IRA, who were real terrorists, with real guns, who really killed people, and exploded real bombs with real explosives (i.e. semtex, rather than the dopey losers who seem to fill their rucksacks (or underpants) with sherbet!).
Old 31 October 2010, 11:27 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

You have to think about the mentality of groups mentioned.

If you have ever met an Irish virgin, you know there is no chance of getting in her knickers until she has her Da's approval and a wedding ring. Blowing yourself up to get into heaven with 60 Irish virgins............ don't think so!!!!
Old 01 November 2010, 09:29 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Heck for the past fours years the UK Threat Level has been bouncing between severe and critical (in other words, since they invented another way to "worry us"). And as Alg says, over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people have been stopped and searched by police using controversial anti-terror powers in JUST ONE YEAR!!!!!
Agreed on both points.

The terror threat level is becoming irrelevant. I'm sure it moves the emergency services into some sort of new state of preparedness, but surely even they must be getting complacent now. 4 years is a long time to keep telling people "the sky's falling in". It's been at or over Substantial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Threat_Levels) the whole time which means an attack is about to happen, in fact it's been critical twice (attacked expected imminently) yet what actually happened?

During that time arguably the biggest terror attack was the bombs in London (outside the nightclub) and Glasgow airport. But the terror threat level was only raised after both those attacks. They then reduce it down 4 days later (who's thinking it was a reactionary move?).

We didn't have terrorist attacks after August 2006 or early July 2007. But apparently an attack was imminent.

Finally if the security forces were acting on "intelligence received" on these cartridge bombs surely it should now be at critical?
Old 01 November 2010, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that if there was no security checking done at all then sooner or later they would be a tragedy, quite likely multiple aircraft destroyed. What would everyone say if that happened.

We know there are fanatics just looking for the chance as we have just seen. Our security services acted on a tip and nothing happened. We can't always rely on that kind of luck.

I think that abandoning security checks would be wrong. I would rather put up with some inconvenience than get blown out of the sky.

Elderly grannies are the best target of course!

Les