Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe if he had a fan in his kitchen and cooking bacon he would
Old 31 October 2010, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think if it was me being interviewed I would have been forced to knee him in the fergibblers.

Les
Old 31 October 2010, 03:25 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I actually stopped watching that... that was just wrong. Really, really wrong.
Old 31 October 2010, 03:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Wrong!
Old 31 October 2010, 04:01 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

wrong but how old was it, it looked like it was set in the 70's?

Obviously if it was then I would imagine the times were a little safer and things were not as scary as they are now.
Old 31 October 2010, 05:14 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Kill Him

Paedos cannot be rehabilitated, they are cold, calculating pieces of filth that should be shot on sight!
Old 31 October 2010, 05:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I actually stopped watching that... that was just wrong. Really, really wrong.
Same ere!
Old 31 October 2010, 05:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Creepy as hell to watch now....but he's not necessarily interested in young girls/children. We are talking about a completely different time before many of us were even born.

Simply put, things have changed massively in the last 10-20 years. For example, we have friends with a 3yo who I adore and love to bits. But I always feel a little uncomfortable when they tell her to give me a kiss when we are leaving. She always goes for the lips (because she was taught to) and I feel uneasy because media conditioning throughout my 20's-30's has forced me to believe that any form of contact like that makes you a predatory paedophile.

It is a very sad state of affairs, but I can't help the uneasiness that I feel. I normally turn a cheek to her and make a joke about how boys think kisses are icky, etc.

....and if you don't believe me that climates have changed then those in your 30's or older cast your mind back to what would happen if you misbehaved as a kid in front of your neighbour.... I remember my neighbour giving me a hiding for kicking his fence down. I told me dad what happened, and he gave me another hiding for upsetting the neighbour by kicking his fence down. These days 99.999% of parents would call the police and a court case would result.

Last edited by LG John; 31 October 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 31 October 2010, 05:55 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This is all true, but I had to stop watching. Just made me shudder watching him cuddle up to those kids.

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Creepy as hell to watch now....but he's not necessarily interested in young girls/children. We are talking about a completely different time before many of us were even born.

Simply put, things have changed massively in the last 10-20 years. For example, we have friends with a 3yo who I adore and love to bits. But I always feel a little uncomfortable when they tell her to give me a kiss when we are leaving. She always goes for the lips (because she was taught to) and I feel uneasy because media conditioning throughout my 20's-30's has forced me to believe that any form of contact like that makes you a predatory paedophile.

It is a very sad state of affairs, but I can't help the uneasiness that I feel. I normally turn a cheek to her and make a joke about how boys think kisses are icky, etc.

....and if you don't believe me that climates have changed then those in your 30's or older cast your mind back to what would happen if you misbehaved as a kid in front of your neighbour.... I remember my neighbour giving me a hiding for kicking his fence down. I told me dad what happened, and he gave me another hiding for upsetting the neighbour by kicking his fence down. These days 99.999% of parents would call the police and a court case would result.
Old 31 October 2010, 07:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As I said, me too.... but how much of that is because of changing attitudes over the last 20 years ago. Would your average person cringe at this 20-30 years ago? Obviously not, otherwise it wouldn't have been broadcast surely.

Most adults are probably scared of children these days...I know I am. I'd rather be a bin man than be a teacher, church helper, scout master or have anything to do with children that are not my own. Sad times, really.
Old 31 October 2010, 08:02 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Dodgy.

VERY Dodgy...
Old 31 October 2010, 09:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary that ...... but, it is correct what has been stated above - times were different.

I used to get shot at by farmers, they used to set their dogs on me!!

I got chased by Police on many occassions .... on foot, on my motorbike and in my early cars ....

If I got caught I would get a slapping - but would never tell my dad as I would get another slapping for getting a slapping in the first place!!

Not saying it was right then, a lot of 'stuff' went on because kids wouldn't tell tales, but it is how it was.

Overall, kids are safer these days - yet given much less freedom, which is a sad state of affairs

How many 20 somethings do you meet who haven't a clue about life, the world, the truth? I call them 'wet-behind-the-ears' ...... but, it goes deeper than that - they are weird (for example, thinking the Internet is real life!!! )
Old 31 October 2010, 09:32 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I only watched a few seconds and that was enough to make my skin crawl
Old 31 October 2010, 10:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Lol, pete, they used to still do witch hunts when you were a lad did they not?
Old 31 October 2010, 11:10 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Paedos cannot be rehabilitated, they are cold, calculating pieces of filth that should be shot on sight!
+1
Old 01 November 2010, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Scary that ...... but, it is correct what has been stated above - times were different.

I used to get shot at by farmers, they used to set their dogs on me!!

I got chased by Police on many occassions .... on foot, on my motorbike and in my early cars ....

If I got caught I would get a slapping - but would never tell my dad as I would get another slapping for getting a slapping in the first place!!

Not saying it was right then, a lot of 'stuff' went on because kids wouldn't tell tales, but it is how it was.

Overall, kids are safer these days - yet given much less freedom, which is a sad state of affairs

How many 20 somethings do you meet who haven't a clue about life, the world, the truth? I call them 'wet-behind-the-ears' ...... but, it goes deeper than that - they are weird (for example, thinking the Internet is real life!!! )
I agree with that and with what Saxo Boy said too. People then did not assume instantly that giving a child a kiss meant anything other than an innocent expression of just liking the child.

Maybe there were fewer paedophiles around or less of that kind of shameful behaviour at least. Most people would be shocked at the thought that happening to a child then. Almost unheard of.

Les
Old 01 November 2010, 01:18 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Eh?! You shouldn't be kissing a 3yr old on the lips fella regardless of what anyone says ... kiss on the cheek seems more appropriate IMHO.

TX.

Edit - oops, read full post & seen that is what you do parents shouldn't encourage that IMHO

Last edited by Terminator X; 01 November 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01 November 2010, 02:03 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Edit noted terminator.....

....but your pre-edit stance sort of proves my point. Having a 3yo give a close friend a peck on the lips just wasnt an issue a decade or two ago.

And I am not sure it should be an issue now...

As I said in my post I believe my uneasy feelings on the matter derive from media conditioning and general public attitudes. As regards the child in question, I love her to bits...almost as if she were my own. If something happened to her parents tomorrow, my wife and I would happily step in and raise her as our own. I think it is (wrong/a shame/disappointing/?) that I feel uneasy when she is affectionate. But I do, and I doubt that will ever change. In fact, I expect my "fear" of children will only grow as I get older. Teachers et al must be nuts to put themselves in such vulnerable positions.

Last edited by LG John; 01 November 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01 November 2010, 02:11 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's quite correct though isn't it? You've got levels of contact (a) parents (b) close family (c) friends (d) strangers. A stranger should behave significantly different to a child vs the parents.

TX.
Old 01 November 2010, 02:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Totally, but in my situation I am close family friend. I keep the boundaries to a cuddle, peck on the cheek and always within the supervision of the parents.

However, I think that represents a significant shift in the last decade or two. As I said, we are close enough that I would gladly raise this child and would never once resent the fact. 20 years ago an adult with such a relationship with a child would happily be affectionate and do things with the kid unsupervised. For example, I remember going swimming with my friend and his dad a lot when I was a kid because he was a close neighbour to my parents. (he was always appropriate before anyone starts!)

However, as much as a love the child and her parents I would flat refuse to take her swimming (or something of that nature) if her parents asked me. I don't think I would even look after her on my own. It isn't because I don't trust the child, the parents or myself. I just wouldn't take the risk because society is itching to label everyone a paedo.

I guess my point is this:

In our attempts to protect children from genuine predators we have created a situation where genuine caring adults are terrified to interact with children.

However, I guess if that is the way it has to be to keep children safe; then that is the way it has to be.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a pity it has to be like that though.

Les