Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can i connect dvd surround sound to a blueray player

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2010, 07:58 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i connect dvd surround sound to a blueray player

At the moment I have a 40" samsung lcd with a samsung 5.1 dvd surround system. I am looking to buy a lg pk590 tv and wanted to add a blueray player.

Can I set all three up to work together or do i need to buy a blueray surround system.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:18 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

the samsung amp will need to be able to process the new HD sound streams. DTS Master, DTS HD and Dolby Digital Plus contained on BR titles all require a new HD amp like Onkyo 607. if you connect the BR player to a standard DD5.1/DTS amp via coaxial or optical thats all you will get.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:20 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vallumlj
At the moment I have a 40" samsung lcd with a samsung 5.1 dvd surround system. I am looking to buy a lg pk590 tv and wanted to add a blueray player.

Can I set all three up to work together or do i need to buy a blueray surround system.

Thanks for the help.
Bigsinky has got it a little wrong.

It depends. Blu ray films have HD sound formats that need to be decoded. Many of the older surround systems did not have the capability to do that, I reckon your Samsung probably doesn't but you need to check.

The only other way to do it is to buy a Blu Ray player that decodes these sound formats before it sends the signal to the surround amp. These are usually more expensive than the ones that don't.

You will have decide which of the two options you want to take depending on how much money you want to spend ect
Old 02 November 2010, 08:30 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Bigsinky has got it a little wrong.

It depends. Blu ray films have HD sound formats that need to be decoded. Many of the older surround systems did not have the capability to do that, I reckon your Samsung probably doesn't but you need to check.

The only other way to do it is to buy a Blu Ray player that decodes these sound formats before it sends the signal to the surround amp. These are usually more expensive than the ones that don't.

You will have decide which of the two options you want to take depending on how much money you want to spend ect
how was it wrong. his 5.1 sammy amp will downmix the hd audio streams to either DD5.1 or DTS depending on whether his can amp can do either.

Last edited by bigsinky; 02 November 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:59 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
how was it wrong. is 5.1 sammy amp will downmix the hd audio streams to either DD5.1 or DTS depnding on whether his can amp can do either.
Maybe I am wrong then, though I don't know much about his particular amp. I was under the impression that some of the older amps that don't decode the hd codecs will accept them over analogue from a BDP that will decode on board
Old 02 November 2010, 09:11 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

the BR player will either have the HD audio decoder built in and will have speaker connections on it or it will have outputs for 6,7 or 8 channels (if you want to output the HD sound to a differnt/better amp). the other amp must have the required number of inputs to get the full HD sound effect.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:48 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

depends on the connections mate but if you do manage to hook it up, it will probably be pants & a waste of money buying the blu-ray player as you will not be using the main advantages of having one. i.e sound........

easiest way mate is to sell your 'generic surround system' & buy an AV Amplifier & surround speakers from various outlets such as peter tyson (online & very good) richer sounds etc.
Yamaha, Onkyo & Sony are great all rounders & will have an amplifier to suit all pockets.
get yourself a set of speakers (preferably same company as each other, i.e buy all Monitor Audio speakers (as i have - these go perfect with yamaha amps ) & a sub.
outlay might be more than you intended but by eckkers lad its worth it & basically anything you want can be hooked up.

I have Yamaha DSPAX863SE amp & monitor audio speakers (7.1) & it sounds fantastic. i have my desktop plugged in via hdmi, ps3 slimline hdmi, sky HD hdmi, Wii via component leads, plasma tv hdmi & loads of other things can be plugged in & all go through the amp like my iphone via a dock etc the list goes on.

That is where buying it all seperate helps rather than your 'currys' (no offence) surround style system has its many floors.

have a good read on 'what hifi' & go to the reviews pages & select home cinema amps & have a looksy. Its the only real way to get full use of the sound quality & picture from your blu ray player. It just wont be anywhere near as good if you can somehow connect it to your current dvd surround system.

quality basic amp (if on a budget)
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz...a_rxv367.shtml

pretty good amp - (mine) but no longer made
http://www.whathifi.com/review/Yamaha-DSP-AX863SE/

then you can either buy a set of speakers as a package or buy them separate. I went for the main front & left speaker & a sub 1st, then got the centre & the surrounds - so bought them in 2 goes due to the cost. Monitor Audio do a great 'budget style - but not budget in anyway' speaker range called Monitor Audio Bronze or BR for short. You can now get these highly rated speakers far cheaper as after years they have finally re moddelled them with the BX range, so BR2 speaker were £250 a pair & now can be bought for £161 @ peter tysons - i have these & they are punching way above there price tag...

only thing worth bearing in mind is if you want to go 3D upon your own a$$ with a 3d tv, you will need an amp that is 3d compatable & then obviously a 3d player.........

hope that helps in some way!

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 02 November 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2010, 10:01 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
That is where buying it all seperate helps rather than your 'currys' (no offence) surround style system has its many floors.
agreed. my sony DTS amp with full B+W speakers still sounds fabulous 8 years later.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:06 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

exactly bigsinky, once you go separates you never go back & they just last & last & last, very rarely needing an upgrade if bought right in the 1st place

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 02 November 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:23 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

As long as your samsung has an Optical input on the back of it you should be fine. As BigSinky has said, you won't get the new DD and DTS decoders onboard but with the amplification and speakers you have I personally wouldn't be overly concerned as they wouldn't take advantage of a lossless audio file anyway.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:24 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

While I agree about the seperates bit sounding better/lasting longer etc
The amps are a tad chunky.

The all in one boxes are generally much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye

But - the difference is night and day.
I myself have a Denon 1910 and a Q-Acoustics 5.1 setup
Old 02 November 2010, 10:30 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
While I agree about the seperates bit sounding better/lasting longer etc
The amps are a tad chunky.

The all in one boxes are generally much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye

But - the difference is night and day.
I myself have a Denon 1910 and a Q-Acoustics 5.1 setup
yes they are more chunky, but thats because they can do everything
i'd rather have a great setup & waste a couple of inch space & have what i want rather than a poor sounding system after i had bought a large tv & blu ray player......& as you say, the difference is night & day & is therfor in my eyes worth it
Old 02 November 2010, 10:49 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you know blu-ray films usually have audio settings and you can select the DTS track rather than the HD tracks, so it'd go straight through to OP's amp - as long as he has optical/hdmi.
Old 02 November 2010, 11:06 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

yes they do & if he does have an optical out he can use that from blu ray to his samsung surround kit, but the point im trying to make is, he is buying a 50" plasma, a blu ray player & then he listens to it through that....... yes it may work & can mess around with the sound settings but you get what you pay for & if he is buying a nice big tv & a nice blu-ray player, in my eyes its kinda wasted just having a very standard surround set-up & it also limits him to what he can connect up.

but each to there own....
Old 02 November 2010, 11:35 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

fair point

Even this £199 onkyo is HD sound...
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/6434
Old 02 November 2010, 01:34 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
you know blu-ray films usually have audio settings and you can select the DTS track rather than the HD tracks, so it'd go straight through to OP's amp - as long as he has optical/hdmi.
its normally the first track it selects too most of my blu-ray films i have to to turn on the hd tracks