Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Children in Need

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2010, 08:37 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Children in Need

I know it's annoying, I know you all hate Terry Wogan...

...and if you have a £1 or two spare there could be worse places to put it
Old 19 November 2010, 08:42 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My son, usually quite a selfish kid as most 9yos are, came down and gave me £2.50 from his wallet to donate. Good lad.
Old 19 November 2010, 08:44 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

The Saturdays are worth £1 up terry wogans ***
Old 19 November 2010, 08:45 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive often thought not all the money raised can get where its supposed to as if it did surely there wouldn't as many children in need as there is?
Whats your thought's on this?
Old 19 November 2010, 08:48 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Ive often thought not all the money raised can get where its supposed to as if it did surely there wouldn't as many children in need as there is?
Whats your thought's on this?
Driving Subarus and endlessly filling the pockets of Shell, you would think there is no poverty but it is a massive issue. Also, the cost of care for sick children, especially with lifelong issues is ridiculous.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:00 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Driving Subarus and endlessly filling the pockets of Shell, you would think there is no poverty but it is a massive issue. Also, the cost of care for sick children, especially with lifelong issues is ridiculous.
Totally agree with that,i sometimes find myself thinking of how much i spend on my car whether it be mods or fuel that i should help more towards the needy but then think with all the fat cats and 'organisers' of such charities that get paid shocking amounts of money i would rather put it into my own community where i can see it being used.

Trending Topics

Old 19 November 2010, 09:04 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with that,i sometimes find myself thinking of how much i spend on my car whether it be mods or fuel that i should help more towards the needy but then think with all the fat cats and 'organisers' of such charities that get paid shocking amounts of money i would rather put it into my own community where i can see it being used.
Charities should be run by committees of volunteer consultants to decide how the cash should be distributed, and an army of willing helpers to make the cash. Too many execs skimming off the top.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:05 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Charities should be run by committees of volunteer consultants to decide how the cash should be distributed, and an army of willing helpers to make the cash. Too many execs skimming off the top.
Thats the problem and it really gets to me to the point i just can't donate to theses big charities which is a disgrace imho that it is like that.

Last edited by prodriverules; 19 November 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:11 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem and it really gets to me to the point i just can't donate to theses big charities which is a disgrace imho that it is like that.
My other major bugbear is that all charity reps on the street want a long term commitment, ie. direct debit. I watch some trying to sell the charity and people are scared away by the commitment. A money box would possibly make more cash.

I donate to a few charities via DD and chose to via the internet and television advertising; no pressure apart from self induced pressure.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:31 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

My other major bugbear is that all charity reps on the street want a long term commitment, ie. direct debit. I watch some trying to sell the charity and people are scared away by the commitment. A money box would possibly make more cash.

I donate to a few charities via DD and chose to via the internet and television advertising; no pressure apart from self induced pressure.
There abit to in your face as well for my liking,seem to pressure you and as you said want long term donations.
Its not all bad i know but i can't help thinking that there are plenty of the top flyers with in these's organisation's that are living very well of the money contributed.
Old 20 November 2010, 11:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't knock it for the good it does and I hope they do well this year.

As ever I enjoyed the Newscasters' turn.

Les
Old 20 November 2010, 11:19 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

How much did they get in the end ?
Old 20 November 2010, 12:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

18m reported by bbc this morning.
Old 20 November 2010, 01:05 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Find myself agreeing frequently with you Myles. Charity is big business these days. Still believe it needs to begin at home - it grinds my gears to see ads on telly where the staving children of Africa are used to pull at our emotions. Personally I have more concern for those is sleeping rough in the city centre, where local Govenment and the UK government don't seem to give a flying what's it.
Old 20 November 2010, 01:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Find myself agreeing frequently with you Myles. Charity is big business these days. Still believe it needs to begin at home - it grinds my gears to see ads on telly where the staving children of Africa are used to pull at our emotions. Personally I have more concern for those is sleeping rough in the city centre, where local Govenment and the UK government don't seem to give a flying what's it.
I totally agree with your comment, TT.
Whilst I really feel for these poor people in other Countries, homelessness in our own Country upsets me a great deal
In this day and age it should not be so yet there are hundreds
Old 20 November 2010, 02:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I remember being told (when I was a student) that you aren't allowed to shake the money box to get people's attention as it considered begging.

Just done some reading on this... Wow. It's a minefield!
Old 20 November 2010, 07:37 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I remember being told (when I was a student) that you aren't allowed to shake the money box to get people's attention as it considered begging.

Just done some reading on this... Wow. It's a minefield!
That is what I was always told when out collecting.

We have a 'Charity of the Year' at work this year it's Anthony Nolan and on one of our fundraising days, I did a little stint with the collection tin. One woman felt the need to lose her rag with me, telling me how I shouldn't be there making people feel like they have to give. I could understand if I was shaking the tin, or asking people to put money in, but the only people I was speaking to were either those putting money in to thank them and staff.

Most people will either put in or walk past, but rude people who feel the need to comment when you are doing nothing wrong get right up my nose. Everyone has the right to choose whether to donate to charities or not, and I'm not keen on the pushy ones either, but there is no excuse to be rude.
Old 22 November 2010, 05:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't hate Terry Wogan. I quite enjoy his gentle but clever wit.

Les
Old 22 November 2010, 05:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

IMO Terry Wogan is old school, and very passive commentator for today's needs. With his commentary, he couldn't even get a tear out of anyone's eyes, he looked so planted! They should have had expressive Jonathan Ross or Russel Brand for the job.

Children in Need is a reliable charity, and worth a donation IMO.
Old 22 November 2010, 05:47 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I too like Terry Wogan. Good bloke and quite harmless