Higher insurance premium for winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2010, 05:15 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Higher insurance premium for winter tyres

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

Quite interesting. Bit of a storm in a teacup about some insurers counting them as a modification!
Old 11 December 2010, 05:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This country is unbelievable at times, not only do we seem to have the World's most expensive petrol and insurance, but we seem to be run by little officious men with their rules and regulations with almost everything we do.

It's crazy!

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 11 December 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11 December 2010, 05:29 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I run winter tyres on my wifes Range Rover & never even thought to declare them - they are the same dimensions as the 'summer' tyres just a different make. I'm sure most cars are running round with a differnet brand of tyres than they were supplied with as new.

I guess it's a slightly different question if you put on narrower or taller tyres as they would affect the cars handling.....

They do make a real difference once it drops below about 5 degrees but as the article says, you really need a spare set of wheels & somewhere to store them.
Old 11 December 2010, 05:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I've spoken to 5 different companies this week to check the above, and none of them have charged any extra.
Old 11 December 2010, 05:37 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need new fronts at the moment, I used Dunlop Wintersports last year and they were great! Well they were great in my 120bhp car, may not be so great on a scooby.
Old 11 December 2010, 05:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't think of telling my insurance company I'd fitted winter tyres. A Tyre is a tyre as far as I'm concerned.

I tried to get winter tyres for mine thins winter, but couldn't find anywhere selling them in 225/40 R19.
Old 11 December 2010, 06:48 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I need new fronts at the moment, I used Dunlop Wintersports last year and they were great! Well they were great in my 120bhp car, may not be so great on a scooby.
They are great on an Impreza.
Old 11 December 2010, 07:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
A Tyre is a tyre as far as I'm concerned.

So you'd put remoulds on, or a 70mph rated tyre?
Old 11 December 2010, 07:27 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I've spoken to 5 different companies this week to check the above, and none of them have charged any extra.
Gary, I've chucked a new set of wheels on my car today, fitted with TOYO Snowprox tyres, will my insurer charge me any extra, do you think?

Possibly the best £30 quid I've ever spent, mind.
Old 11 December 2010, 07:29 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Gary, I've chucked a new set of wheels on my car today, fitted with TOYO Snowprox tyres, will my insurer charge me any extra, do you think?

Possibly the best £30 quid I've ever spent, mind.
The company you're with are fine.

Mind you.... i hear with the amount of snow you've had you should be more worried about polar bears than tyres!!!!
Old 11 December 2010, 07:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Shouldn't users get a rebate as they are less likely to cause an accident ?

dunx

P.S. That does reduce the numpty-factor...
Old 11 December 2010, 07:45 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

May be they are thinking that you will drive more rather than leaving the car at home because you have 'special' snow tyres and are now invincible. Just a thought.

My last insurance company didnt charge for anything extra other than something that increased BHP.
Old 11 December 2010, 07:59 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
This country is unbelievable at times, not only do we seem to have the World's most expensive petrol and insurance, but we seem to be run by little officious men with their rules and regulations with almost everything we do.
Why do we have such expensive insurance? When I lived in Spain my insurance was 40% of that in England in addition to all aesthetic mods not occuring a premium and very modest increased rates for engine mods, proportionate to the increase, e.g. 220bhp to 270 was around £60 extra not the OTT rip off quotes we get that really dont reflect the mod its covering.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SRSport
May be they are thinking that you will drive more rather than leaving the car at home because you have 'special' snow tyres and are now invincible. Just a thought.
Exactly right

And also winter tyres can be dangerous in warm conditions, so they will also be worried people will keep them on for the whole year.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:02 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Why do we have such expensive insurance? When I lived in Spain my insurance was 40% of that in England in addition to all aesthetic mods not occuring a premium and very modest increased rates for engine mods, proportionate to the increase, e.g. 220bhp to 270 was around £60 extra not the OTT rip off quotes we get that really dont reflect the mod its covering.
Because other countries don't have the same amount of fraudulent injury claims that we have. (USA excluded of course).
Old 11 December 2010, 08:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Because other countries don't have the same amount of fraudulent injury claims that we have. (USA excluded of course).
So why don't Pakistanis from Bradford either have to pay silly premiums or get barred from insurance?
Old 11 December 2010, 08:29 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
So why don't Pakistanis from Bradford either have to pay silly premiums or get barred from insurance?
They do.

Lots of companies will refuse to quote on 'certain' postcodes, and those who do will charge a LOT.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Can anything be done about these fraudulent claims? For example get rid of the clear cut case of well he went into the back of you so you can claim. It is a know fact that people are deliberately slamming the brakes on in front of heavier vehicles to get crashed in to. Start asking questions like "why did you slam the breaks on", was it justified and then question whether answers given make sense taking in to account the environment, impact against any skid marks to assess how abbruptly the car in front braked etc.

Im sure there are plenty of good reasons why this wont work, after all Ive spent 5 minutes thinking about it at home on the sofa while professionals have put a lot of thought in to it over many years but is there nothing that can be done to combat this growing issue?

Last edited by SRSport; 11 December 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Most insurers are working on it, as it's killing the market.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:35 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

They do.

Lots of companies will refuse to quote on 'certain' postcodes, and those who do will charge a LOT.
And that issue is a cop out and getting annoying as I have recently moved to this area, Ive never had a claim, crash, anything for 12 years of driving and now Im being penalised because of the idiots that live up here.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:39 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

...another thought, would having an onboard camera drastically reduce your insurance premium as there can be recorded evidence against people doing this? Not just that but it would surely encourage many more drivers to adopt this approach which would mean we would be fast on our way to stamping this out as fraudster can no longer rely on this tactic without getting caught out.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:42 PM
Moley
Sponsor

And that issue is a cop out and getting annoying as I have recently moved to this area, Ive never had a claim, crash, anything for 12 years of driving and now Im being penalised because of the idiots that live up here.
Unfortunatley if you've moved to a higher rated area the changes of you being involved in an accident or having your car stolen have increased.

The stats don't lie, the majority of the big claims come from certain areas.

I understand you haven't had a claim in the last 12 years... but were you in a high rated area for that time?

Whenever someone moans about insurance being high, and tell me they have never made a claim i ask them one thing..... why are you paying an extra 10-15% to protect your NCB, if you know you aren't going to claim?
Old 11 December 2010, 08:46 PM
Moley
Sponsor

...another thought, would having an onboard camera drastically reduce your insurance premium as there can be recorded evidence against people doing this? Not just that but it would surely encourage many more drivers to adopt this approach which would mean we would be fast on our way to stamping this out as fraudster can no longer rely on this tactic without getting caught out.
It's an idea.... but a very expensive one.
Wether it'd be enough to stand up in court is the question, and if people would be willing to pay to have a camera fitted.

And if you had a fault claim and the camera showed you doing 35mph in a 30mph limit whould you be happy when the insurers threw out the claim, as you were caught on the camera breaking the law?
Old 11 December 2010, 08:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Most insurers are working on it, as it's killing the market.
To be fair car owners have to buy insurance from someone by law, so I don't see insurers on the bread line any time soon.
Old 11 December 2010, 08:51 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I understand why they have increased for these areas but what I mean it is a cop out to have that as the solution and just leave it that. I would hope that it would be a temporary solution until laws and initiatives change and advances in technology improve. Using traffic cameras on roads as evidence for another example. In my opinion tax money would be better spent on these type of cameras rather than Speed cameras as the amount of criminal activity would hopefully be cut. I know that they wouldnt get their regular income but how much money do you think stays in this country after these fraudulent claim anyway?

Edit: Moley WRX are you an insurer?

Last edited by SRSport; 11 December 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11 December 2010, 09:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

We struggle to get Police officers who have dealt with or witness accidents to help the insurers with claims (ie give statements), so getting them to provide film from cameras is even more unlikely.

Unfortunately i can only see things betting worse before they get better, insurers are still talking of another 20-30% increases, and as of Jan the government are taking a bigger cut of your premium aswell.

Insurers are looking much closer at where the claims are coming from, taking into account ages, vehicles, and postcodes.
Subarus, Evos and Skylines have VERY good stats with ourselves, and we're finding the increases on performance cars are minimal compared to 'normal' cars.

Tony - i'm not saying the insurers aren't making any money, but they are a business after all. That said i'm not getting a big enough share of the profits for sure!!!!
Old 11 December 2010, 09:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ridiculous story, probably filed by a lazy journalist who tried to get a quote from a "call centre" and some poorly trained call centre worker put it down as a “modification” and upped his quote

total 4rsewipe
Old 11 December 2010, 09:04 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Subarus, Evos and Skylines have VERY good stats with ourselves, and we're finding the increases on performance cars are minimal compared to 'normal' cars.
Is that because they know that they are more likely to get battered by someone driving something like the above than when compared to say a Jaguar S type driver.
Old 11 December 2010, 09:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

We find people with performance cars have them as their 'pride and joy' so treat them with more care/respect than people who don't care if their car gets damaged.

Lots of companies won't insure cars valued under £1500, as someone who drives a '****ter' tends to take no care of it, and aren't too fussed if they have an accident.
Old 11 December 2010, 09:21 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

So are you an insurance company then or a broker? Im guessing the latter from something mentioned earlier.

The above quote sounds promising. My renewal comes up next month, although you probably wont be interested after my comments on where I live. lol. I dont know if you cold call my car a performance car though.

Quick Reply: Higher insurance premium for winter tyres