Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Quality policing of student demos - NOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2010, 10:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality policing of student demos - NOT!!!

Video of a disabled man who was allegedly tipped out of his wheelchair.

There is video of him out of his chair being dragged across the road and left lying at the road side. At the end of the video you see another officer dragging one of the guilty officers away...

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Wheelchair
Old 13 December 2010, 10:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

is there a claim there trout ?

Old 13 December 2010, 10:53 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

as well as violent scum mixing with the students, you get violent cowardly scum mixing with police officers. What the **** did he hope to achieve there?, i guarantee you he would not have done that if he were on his own.
Old 13 December 2010, 10:53 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

I find it really disturbing that there seem to a be a number of our Police force who frankly are no better (and indeed in some ways worse) behaved than the so called protestors (rent-a-thugs) who smashed things up and otherwise caused mayhem over the last few weeks.

My wife was extremely shocked to hear one of her work mate's husband (Metropolitan Police Officer) refer to the students as "scum". That could have been one of my daughters he was referring to, she has been on demos. (Fortunately in Edinburgh where there seems to have been a lot less trouble). It does seem to reinforce the view that possibly some of the Police are looking for trouble in the same way as the more violent protesters.

It is a very sad state of affairs as there seems to be significantly less time and effort expended on tracking down and prosecuting the bad apples in the Police Force than amongst the students when perhaps there should be more as they are abusing a position of significant trust.
Old 13 December 2010, 10:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
as well as violent scum mixing with the students, you get violent cowardly scum mixing with police officers. What the **** did he hope to achieve there?, i guarantee you he would not have done that if he were on his own.
It is very telling how he was dragged off by another officer. Nothing like running up a big banner saying GUILTY!
Old 13 December 2010, 10:59 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
is there a claim there trout ?

He was on the news and his lawyers are preparing one. Video and dozens of witnesses.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:04 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of the police are as bad as the worst of the protesters and always have been always will be. I was batoned over the shoulder walking away from coppers on a May Day one whilst watching a sit down by protesters in the middle of the road. Thought my shoulder was broke and none of the coppers had ID numbers on in those days. I do think the student protests like other protests are stirred up by troublemakers and "anarchists" though.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:17 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11978884
Old 14 December 2010, 12:15 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

While I don't know the full ins and outs of the actually dragging out of the wheel chair he was earlier filmed climbing out of his wheel chair and refusing to get back in it for his own safety, instead heading towards the danger of the riots.

It could be argued that he was removed from his wheelchair and moved from the area for his own safety.

Not that this is my view but there are 2 sides to every story.

On another note, how DO you arrest someone in a wheelchair?
Old 14 December 2010, 12:26 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I agree which is why I said allegedly.

However the video above does not seem to indicate someone who is disabled being moved for his own safety; nor do witnesses who allege he was tipped out.

But why else would the additional officer be dragging his colleague away so aggressively?!
Old 14 December 2010, 12:27 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I think it was Matt Lucas,and David Walliams,doing a sketch.
Old 14 December 2010, 12:31 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Snazy;9764474

On another note, how DO you arrest someone in a wheelchair?[/QUOTE]
Remove the wheels.
Old 14 December 2010, 12:41 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

However the video above does not seem to indicate someone who is disabled being moved for his own safety; nor do witnesses who allege he was tipped out.

But why else would the additional officer be dragging his colleague away so aggressively?!
I totally agree, having only seen poor footage of this part it's hard to tell for sure, but I'm sure it will be looked into.

As for the own safety part, on the build up to the incident you can hear the people talking about being in a bad place, and it's all gonna get dangerous, talk of them "going to charge in a minute", and also a comment on how full on the guy in the wheelchair is.

Like I say, I will reserve judgement on it but was certainly being a PITA earlier lol.

Originally Posted by speye91
Remove the wheels.
Clamping or towing and option?
Old 14 December 2010, 12:47 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

On another note, how DO you arrest someone in a wheelchair?
Last time I did arrest someone in a wheelchair, I did it in exactly the same way as everyone else I arrested. It was for 2 x sexual assault.

The only difference is I wouldn't let him be conveyed to custody in the panda because when my mate nicked him previously, he pissed and **** all over the seat, and my mate had to clean it.

I wheeled him across Mansfield's market to the nick
Old 14 December 2010, 04:55 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

You also said: ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

I'd prefer to reserve judgement and see if there's another side to this. Let's not assume that because this guys in a wheelchair he's an innocent protesters or even disabled.

You maybe absolutely right, but these short clips often portray something that they are not.

I'm with Snazy on this one.
Old 14 December 2010, 08:08 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

He is disabled he was interviewed on the box - he has cerebral palsy, doesn't have proper muscle control or speech. I did make the post after seeing him on the news, not just based on the video.

I do think it was disgusting they way he was dragged across the road and left lying at the side of the road.

Whether he was tipped out of the chair is open to debate. Was he dragged across the road - definitely.

Last edited by Trout; 14 December 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:20 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Being disabled doesn't give you any more rights to being a ****, than any other person.

You don't know what he was saying to the officer. Should the officer take verbal abuse by this person `just` because they're in a wheelchair?

Was the guy refusing to move? Should he have been left `just` because he was in a wheelchair?

Disabled people quite rightly fight for the same rights and to be treated in the exact same way as non-disabled people. They'd have dragged an able bodied person off the road, so why should he be any different?
Old 14 December 2010, 09:23 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

We had units involved in these riots and ours were told to hold the lines only. After the G8 protests and the public outcry the police have been told to take more of a ‘back seat view’ on these protests and only get involved to contain the violence to a set area.

From our force’s part it was quite a success. No officers used batons and merely kept the crown contained using shields. A few officers were quite badly injured from the metal poles being thrust at them and flying bricks but in general the crowd tended to turn on buildings and smash them up, deface the cenotaph etc.

Hopefully this was an isolated case about the gentleman in the wheel chair. I think what the police do now is let the protesters smash the place up then hopefully get the suspects later on CCTV. (Buildings can be replaced, but we can’t risk and injury to the protesters.) There were some photos in the papers yesterday of suspects who will no doubt hand themselves in when they see it.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

This does smell a little bit the same as that pro protester women who got her legs slapped at the G20 ? demos
Old 14 December 2010, 09:31 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Last time I did arrest someone in a wheelchair, I did it in exactly the same way as everyone else I arrested. It was for 2 x sexual assault.

The only difference is I wouldn't let him be conveyed to custody in the panda because when my mate nicked him previously, he pissed and **** all over the seat, and my mate had to clean it.

I wheeled him across Mansfield's market to the nick
should of let home gi down White hart street
Old 14 December 2010, 09:49 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

If you look at the earlier footage Sky shot, he was clearly making his way at quite some speed towards parliament square without the wheelchair, while police pleaded with his brother to talk sense into him and get him to somewhere safe, and back in the chair.

Whatever disabilities the guy has, he is a very determined fella, and credit to him for that. But if the police were about to charge as the footage suggests, he would have been in serious danger and the police have the right to remove him. If that involved taking him out of the chair, so be it.

But as has been said, it's never black and white, so final judgement, well that's up to the 2 parties involved.

Let's remember though, a lot of these people refuse t accept responsibility for their behaviour on the day and their spokes people won't even condemn the violence and destruction. In fact quite the opposite.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:53 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Agreed Felix,I say leave em to it too. But the problem is the reputation of London is at risk, the monuments can be repaired but would cost a lot and look shabby. Even when all these thugs are rounded up, the penalties combined won't even cover the cost of clearing up the rubbish, let alone the repairs.
By the end of it all it's going to have cost the tax payer as much as it would to just paying their tuition.

All for protesting, shouting, screaming etc, but any person who thinks it is their democratic right to smash stuff up because they are upset needs sending far far away IMO
Old 14 December 2010, 10:01 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Let's remember though, a lot of these people refuse t accept responsibility for their behaviour on the day and their spokes people won't even condemn the violence and destruction. In fact quite the opposite.
Granted I have seen some so-called representatives refuse to condemn the violence etc. but equally the NUS consistently condemn it (as of course they should and indeed have to if they wish to be taken at all seriously).
Old 14 December 2010, 10:03 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJMS
Granted I have seen some so-called representatives refuse to condemn the violence etc. but equally the NUS consistently condemn it (as of course they should and indeed have to if they wish to be taken at all seriously).
glad some of them are.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:04 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

If you look at the earlier footage Sky shot, he was clearly making his way at quite some speed towards parliament square without the wheelchair, while police pleaded with his brother to talk sense into him and get him to somewhere safe, and back in the chair.

Whatever disabilities the guy has, he is a very determined fella, and credit to him for that. But if the police were about to charge as the footage suggests, he would have been in serious danger and the police have the right to remove him. If that involved taking him out of the chair, so be it.

But as has been said, it's never black and white, so final judgement, well that's up to the 2 parties involved.

I agree with Snazy
Old 14 December 2010, 10:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the police knew that he did not need a wheelchair then their action is a bit easier to understand. Still must have given a very bad impression of the police to bystanders though.

If they did not know that he did not need a wheelchair, then to treat a genuinely disabled man like that is inexcusable. They would deserve the strongest form of discipline for doing such a shameful thing. Dragging a disabled person around in such a manner is dangerous for the person concerned and could cause him further injury.

Stilover should be ashamed of his comments.

Les
Old 14 December 2010, 10:09 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Equal opportunities in action if ever I saw it, the police force cannot be seen to treat the disabled and differently or they will be accused of discrimination.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I dont think your likley to make a disabilty worse by dragging someone round the streets

possibly introduce another one but
Old 14 December 2010, 10:23 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I should add when I say making his way at some speed, he was using the railing to support himself, but was far from struggling without the chair, and he left it through his own free will. That's not to say he does not need it.

But I agree strongly with the comments regarding equal rights and treatment.
Going back to the arrest, or removal to safe refuge, if it required removal from the wheelchair, which I assume it would fair play.

If you were about to be stampeded by a rush of people, police and horses, and had kerbs and railings to contend with, would you push and struggle, or carry and run with the disabled person you were helping ?

One side of this could be copper hears prep to charge over radio, sees disabled person and says quick mate, we got to move you. Guy says ****** ******, copper thinks on his feet, grabs him, guy struggles, chair falls, colleague helps, both drag guy out of harms way.

Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possibility, and would take it down a notch from violent, unfair behaviour to rough care.
Old 14 December 2010, 10:33 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Stilover should be ashamed of his comments.

Les
Why?

`Just` because you are disabled doesn't give you any more rights than anyone else.

Tell a copper to fcukoff, or refuse to move on, then you should accept the same level of action as anyone else.

Quick Reply: Quality policing of student demos - NOT!!!