Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do people have fog lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2011, 06:37 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people have fog lights on?

Its at an all time high where I live I must have saw no less that 15 cars on the 15 min drive home from work tonight.
Do these idiots think it's cool to drive around with them on.
I had a stupid woman with them on behind me tonight so I put my rear fog light on and off a few times hoping she would realise but she didn't.
Interestingly most of the people who do this aren't chavy boy racers but women or 50+ men!
I imagine most people do this on purpose but why? *****!
Old 04 January 2011, 06:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

That rear red fog being left on is far worse than the fronts....
Old 04 January 2011, 06:39 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most of them think its cool.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:40 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
That rear red fog being left on is far worse than the fronts....
yes I know you would think the dozy bint would have realised I was trying to tell her something.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the police out there with their £60 fines, will sort the deficeit out in no time

Tony

PS, hate it myself, just numpties who think it looks "cool" but dont understand it blinds other drivers
Old 04 January 2011, 06:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I know.

I left my classic scooby foggies on by mistake about 5 year ago, and a policeman chased me in his Volvo. He stopped me very close to my neighbourhood, which was very embarrassing, and gave me a warning ticket. He said that my car did look nice with them on, but I shouldn't have them on, unless my arm couldn't see my leg. What an arrogant policeman! Anyway, I learnt my lesson, and since then, I hardly bother with foglights TBH.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:46 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

When the ground is wet and it is dark it does dazzle.
I gave a taxi a flash the other day as he had one headlight working and he put his fog lights on lol. Says it all really.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Because they're arseholes. I hate it.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Rear fogs do my head in. See it daily.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:15 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

They are probably driving lights which are apparently going to be compulsory on new cars from September. I have a new e coupe and the lights that are at the bottom of the grill are driving lamps but people assume they are the front fogs.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:17 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I know.

I left my classic scooby foggies on by mistake about 5 year ago, and a policeman chased me in his Volvo. He stopped me very close to my neighbourhood, which was very embarrassing, and gave me a warning ticket. He said that my car did look nice with them on, but I shouldn't have them on, unless my arm couldn't see my leg. What an arrogant policeman! Anyway, I learnt my lesson, and since then, I hardly bother with foglights TBH.
You were lucky Hottie!

I had a headlight go out last year and had planned to pop into Halfrauds at the weekend to pick up a new bulb. Meanwhile I drive with the front fogs on for a few days. I was fined £30 by the police - not for the defective headlight, but for using the front fogs (which are no brighter than the headlights and point downwards imo)!
Old 04 January 2011, 07:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I run with front fogs and side lights dawn to dusk, then i switch to dipped headlights for night time driving.
Rear fog is only there for MOT, iirc highway code says only to use fogs if visibility is less than 100 meters!

I was pulled a few years ago with dipped and fogs on, he threatened me with a ticket for 'excessive use of lights'.

I agree, the numpties fry my head too.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
You were lucky Hottie!

I had a headlight go out last year and had planned to pop into Halfrauds at the weekend to pick up a new bulb. Meanwhile I drive with the front fogs on for a few days. I was fined £30 by the police - not for the defective headlight, but for using the front fogs (which are no brighter than the headlights and point downwards imo)!
Ouch!

I was suggested by someone to take the bulbs out of the foggies, so that it never happens again, even by mistake. But then, someone else said that police will then do you for having no bulb in your foggies! You just can't win, man. Just don't use them, unless the visibility is dire.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:42 PM
madcyril
Scooby Regular

because they are thick lol
Old 04 January 2011, 07:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Ouch!

I was suggested by someone to take the bulbs out of the foggies, so that it never happens again, even by mistake. But then, someone else said that police will then do you for having no bulb in your foggies! You just can't win, man. Just don't use them, unless the visibility is dire.
Yup, apart from above incident, I don't use them unless visibility is really pretty bad, which is how it should be. Must confess to occasionally switching on the rear briefly to make peeps aware they are following me with their full beams on!
Old 04 January 2011, 07:53 PM
Chris 9-5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Get the police out there with their £60 fines, will sort the deficeit out in no time
Bloody good idea!
Old 04 January 2011, 07:59 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I was following someone along an A-road last week at dusk. When it went a bit misty, the idiot put on their rear fog light! It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction for some people - what purpose a rear fog light serves, when I've already been following for several miles, I've no idea....and clearly, neither did the person who turned it on!

I then got a nice bit of retina burn for the next ten minutes of driving.....
Old 04 January 2011, 08:00 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Then I expect you get flashed a lot!? And you deserve to get a ticket for being a selfish get!
Chill Dave.

The front fogs on my classic are good for fekk all, i have fitted SMD bulbs that aren't as bright as standard but look 5500k colour. I've not been flashed since i have had them fitted. Day time running lights if you like. It keeps me visible to the morons that don't know what lights they have on.

Originally Posted by hutton_d
As for MOT only, that's b*llux as construction and use regs. state they must be fitted after about 1980.

Dave
Probably didn't make myself to clear there.
What i meant was, it is only for MOT as far as i'm concerned, ie i don't use it at all. If it wasn't a MOT requirement then i would remove it.
In fact the MOT before last, the tester actually joke it was hardly worth me having one as it is a red LED strip mounted below the number plate.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R 14NS R
They are probably driving lights which are apparently going to be compulsory on new cars from September. I have a new e coupe and the lights that are at the bottom of the grill are driving lamps but people assume they are the front fogs.
He's not talking about DRL's but proper fog lights (much brighter). I see it all the time as well, peeps with front fogs on for no reason. Morons.

Also people with stupidly brights after-market HID's.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:14 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

My JDM STi has no fogs lol.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:17 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use mine unless its foggy,but don't have a problem with people that do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now Women drivers,that f*cks me off
Old 04 January 2011, 08:29 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mostly peugot 206 owners closely followed by astra and vectra with fiesta following up behind . all donkies why probably dont know any better , sorry i forgot there is a light on the dashboard that glows when they are turned on they just choose to ignore it at the expense of other peoples eyeballs . total ***** who all deserve the 60quid ticket every time everyone knows a light under the bumper level is a fog light you only have to look at the lens patters. either way i just put rear fog on if they are behind me and fogs plus mainbeam if they are infront FRY EM BACK I SAY
Old 04 January 2011, 08:45 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Pea souper time....I'm really pleased with those that put rears on.Be loads of rear enders without (I am talking pea soup).Yes,annoying when people forget to turn them off after.

As for front fogs....people seem to think they are 'snow lamps 'for some reason just lately.

Oh,and if anyone has actually got front fog lights that do do anything beyond a yard I'd be interested complete waste of time apart from at 2 mph
Old 04 January 2011, 08:52 PM
chris270181
Scooby Regular

I got flashed during the day last week for having mine on, didnt even know, bright sunny day and for some reason i must of flicked my lights on when leaving home??
Ended up pulling over to see wtf the prat was flashing and ranting and raving at me for.
When i noticed i just thought sad barsteward as the winter sun was brighter then any fog lights during the day .

The worst thing i notice is people who drive around at night with no lights on at all, how can you not notice that??
Old 04 January 2011, 08:55 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Don't massively bother me tbh, it's the big 4x4s with stupidly bright lights, shining straight in to my eye ***** that do me in.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Yup, apart from above incident, I don't use them unless visibility is really pretty bad, which is how it should be. Must confess to occasionally switching on the rear briefly to make peeps aware they are following me with their full beams on!
LOL that's a good one, Andy. I will have to try switching the rear ones occasionally for the blinding ones. Rear foggies must be more effective than going effing-effing to them from my driving seat, which they can't hear, anyway.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:59 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Rear foggies must be more effective than going effing-effing to them from my driving seat, which they can't hear, anyway.
Old 04 January 2011, 09:07 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The directgov website says that front and rear foglights may be used when visibility is less than 100 metres.

When its dark and I have my headlights on dip beam I cant see up to 100 metres so from now on I will always use my fogs.

Quick Reply: Why do people have fog lights on?