Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How drugs work: cannabis

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 12:36 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How drugs work: cannabis

I just watched this and to be honest it probably wants to make me go and try it!

Im sure that isn't the desired effect of the program.....
Old 08 January 2011, 12:39 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite possibly not. I watched it (sort of) last night-Thurs, but wasn't really paying too much attention.

It's not my cup of tea.
Old 08 January 2011, 12:47 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx

It's not my cup of tea.
Maybe you should give it a try.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 08 January 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08 January 2011, 12:50 AM
Lisawrx

How do you know I haven't.
Old 08 January 2011, 12:58 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moderators are upstanding members of the community...

Old 08 January 2011, 12:59 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

As an ex heavy cannabis smoker, I would highly recommend that you steer as clear away from it as possible.

Yes, it has some good uses in medical practises, we all know that.

But for recreational use, forget it.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:07 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DoZZa
As an ex heavy cannabis smoker, I would highly recommend that you steer as clear away from it as possible.

Yes, it has some good uses in medical practises, we all know that.

But for recreational use, forget it.
Thats like an alcoholic saying stay away from beer.

As with everything its all about moderation. Just think that there is hype over it, but they did say the more natural stuff was less psychotic enabling than 24hr sunshine farmed stuff. So whats that tell you??

Imho it should be legalised and sold from pharmacies, as then that way the composition will be known, the money will be going to the gov and can give farmers something to grow lol.

As it is now all this money is going to organised crime, whats the point??
Not as if you see a thousand stoners smashing up a city centre every weekend, the only arguments you get is the paranoid ones thinking someones hidden their chocolate, or the garage has no chocolate.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:12 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX
Thats like an alcoholic saying stay away from beer.

As with everything its all about moderation. Just think that there is hype over it, but they did say the more natural stuff was less psychotic enabling than 24hr sunshine farmed stuff. So whats that tell you??

Imho it should be legalised and sold from pharmacies, as then that way the composition will be known, the money will be going to the gov and can give farmers something to grow lol.

As it is now all this money is going to organised crime, whats the point??
Not as if you see a thousand stoners smashing up a city centre every weekend, the only arguments you get is the paranoid ones thinking someones hidden their chocolate, or the garage has no chocolate.
lol, hidden their chocolate.

So you have first hand experience with cannabis then?

I was a cannabis user for over 15 years, ive seen all of the good things it can do, and all of the bad things it can do. In my eyes, the bad far out weighs the good.

Yes, legalise it, more people will use it, then you will all know how bad it is.

Just my opinion, and the casual smokers and even the heavy cannabis smokers will defend it to the hilt, how do I know this, because I used to be the same.

Until I saw the light, lol.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:25 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

lol, hidden their chocolate.

So you have first hand experience with cannabis then?

I was a cannabis user for over 15 years, ive seen all of the good things it can do, and all of the bad things it can do. In my eyes, the bad far out weighs the good.

Yes, legalise it, more people will use it, then you will all know how bad it is.

Just my opinion, and the casual smokers and even the heavy cannabis smokers will defend it to the hilt, how do I know this, because I used to be the same.

Until I saw the light, lol.
My view is that kids don`t buy condoms from a pharmacy, so getting them to buy cannabis from there would be next to nil.
You`d stop the dealers pushing harder stuff, as if legal then the dealer would be a pharmacist.
Long term HEAVY smokers imho would by going to a pharmacists regularly be easier to get onto rehab programs and be more likely to get help.
Also by not being "Illegal" kids wouldn`t see it as cool being naughty, so I recon would see take up slow.

Look at Amsterdam, the locals hardly smoke the stuff, only tourists and hard core stoners there. Mind you the illegal "Cocaine-Ecstasy" dealers with knives are the real problem.

My case is based on alcohol prohibition, you make something illegal, you put the power and money with criminals like Al Capone. You take that illegality away and they crumble. And its a widely known fact that the "war" on drugs has been lost and will never be won. Afganistan with opium, if you legally allowed them to grow it, you take away Al Quaida`s funds.

I`m not advocating people start lighting up a blunt, or skinning up everywhere, but an adult approach is much better. As if people are going to do it why not atleast make it a safer thing, and have the funds going to help the country, not being run out of the country to fund crminality.

Cars have good things and extrememly bad things, shall we make cars illegal as they are too dangerous. Danger is hard wired into our brains, to remove it all makes people do base jumping, or to push the boundaries elsewhere. It`s human nature.

Last edited by Jimbob; 08 January 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:32 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

You`d stop the dealers pushing harder stuff
I dont think that you would.

They will either just concentrate on selling the already harder drugs.

Or find something else to replace the cannabis.

As you have said, the war against drugs can not be won, so legalising cannabis will not have the effect you think it would.

Take away the illegality and give to the government and the organised criminals will find another way to make money, maybe selling drugs which are far more harmful than cannabis.

Its a no win situation for the general population, the only winners in this game are the big time dealers.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:38 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

I dont think that you would.

They will either just concentrate on selling the already harder drugs.

Or find something else to replace the cannabis.

As you have said, the war against drugs can not be won, so legalising cannabis will not have the effect you think it would.

Take away the illegality and give to the government and the organised criminals will find another way to make money, maybe selling drugs which are far more harmful than cannabis.

Its a no win situation for the general population, the only winners in this game are the big time dealers.
Which I recon you legalise everything, not so you can buy things from Tesco, but so that if your gonna take the crap, then atleast its not cut with crap, and if things go wrong the hospital knows exactly what you have taken. As loads die while doctors have to investigate what the person has OD`d on.

We need to have an adult discussion about these things, as saying "Bad, so NO" doesn`t wash anymore in a world of free information, and global travel.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:50 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Someone I know let's her kids smoke it which I've seen them do and find it hard to beleave. You say the bad out weighs the good. Please tell me more.

Last edited by TurboAndy; 08 January 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:21 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

We need to have an adult discussion about these things
I thought we were!

Originally Posted by TurboAndy
Someone I know let's her kids some it which I've seen them do and find it hard to beleave. You say the bad out weighs the good. Please tell me more.
Its a very involved subject to explain the pro's and con's mate. More time than I have.

But there are many references to be found if you look. But don't take all that you read about cannabis as gospel, there are a lot of conspiracies surrounding it and it does not take a genius to figure out why.

In reality there is only one way to find out and that is to try it yourself.

I have friends who use a lot of cannabis on a daily basis, you could never tell as they appear 'normal' and to be honest they are better people, as in mood wise, when they are using cannabis then when not. When not using it they can be very moody, even those that have stopped for a few months will be unsettled and restless. But when they are using the cannabis, they are much more functional, in a sense.

But at the other end of the scale I have friends who have been irreparably damaged from the long term usage of cannabis, one friend in particular has severe metal illness, they have only ever used cannabis, no other illegal drugs. Yes it is not proven that the cannabis has caused this to happen, but we all seem to think that it has played a part. This friend suffers with paranoia and panic attacks, something that cannabis can trigger, amongst other things.

I think the effects of cannabis really come down to the type of person using it, some get away with, some benefit from using, but others don't.

And the longer it is used, the more issues it seems to create. But again, everyone is different.

I am only going by what I have seen with my own eyes for over 15 years.

Me personally, I am a better person from no longer using cannabis, I no longer smoke cigarettes either. I have more energy, I eat properly and I can think clearly.

Make of it what you will.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:28 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your time.
Old 08 January 2011, 11:38 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I think the effects of cannabis really come down to the type of person using it, some get away with, some benefit from using, but others don't.
This is the most important statement of all with regards to Cannabis use
Old 08 January 2011, 12:13 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Interesting comments here.

I am quite old and have been 'good' (absolutely no drugs and little alcohol) but as time passes you wish to experience all that the world has to offer before death hits you. Obviously nothing that brings that event forward but this seemed relatively safe.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:02 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Sure you could do much worse drugs now that you are that bit 'more mature' as weed seems to have a greater potential danger (ie. psychosis) when strong skunk is taken in the early to mid teens.

My mum had her first joint when she was in her early sixties when she was staying with friends, but she said it did little for her and that she'd stick to Gin and Tonics
Old 08 January 2011, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that the more you come to depend on something like that to give you an artificial boost or to bolter up your personality, then you are most likely to become a heavy user with the risk of getting hooked on something much more serious with the eventual disaster that will cause.

Les
Old 08 January 2011, 01:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I smoked it for a fair few years, it was never to the point it ever became a negative experience, but it did come close.
It went from being a once a month thing, to every weekend, then started creeping into being an every day affair.

That was the point I knew it was time to stop. It wasn't fun or recreational.

I have smoked it since, and offered some I would do again, but I would never have a personal supply ever again.

Everything in moderation is great, and like alcohol, if enjoyed responsibly it can be a lot of fun.
Old 08 January 2011, 01:42 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst

I am quite old and have been 'good' (absolutely no drugs and little alcohol) but as time passes you wish to experience all that the world has to offer before death hits you. Obviously nothing that brings that event forward but this seemed relatively safe.
Just one piece of advice if you do try it-have a little at first then a little more after a while if you feel ok, in the same way as you wouldnt down a bottle of vodka for your first try of alcohol.
The possible increased risk of psychosis is such a small percentage 0.05% IIRC(or a doubling according to the data from the study) that it could be statistically insignificant given the sample size.
It could also be a false figure as I wouldnt mind a small bet that the 'feel good' factor of weed would make a fair few people with the beginnings of psychotic illness mask their symptoms by self medicating untill they finally get help.
Finally give this a view and watch a few others if you fancy a chuckle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j384r...eature=related
cheers richie
Old 08 January 2011, 01:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Seems to me that the more you come to depend on something like that to give you an artificial boost or to bolter up your personality, then you are most likely to become a heavy user with the risk of getting hooked on something much more serious with the eventual disaster that will cause.

Les
Cannabis is not a booster, Leslie If you schmoke a big fat reefa, you wouln't get any high, mate. Instead, you will talk lousily through your anus, and look like a braindead piece of nothing for a long time. You will be zombified, and enjoy the impact, for that's exactly the way you would want to feel for that time and after. People that favour cannabis would say anything like cannabis smokers don't get violent, and its much better than drinking alchohol etc.etc. The fact is that cannabis is as bad as any other drug, as its long term impact i.e. paranoia or Paranoid Schizophrenia is much worse type of paranoia than the ones that fear of it hidden in a chocolate. No drug is good if it turns you into a lazy and an unreasonable kwunt IMO. Hypothesis of it's medicinal use on prescription is justified alright.

Last edited by Turbohot; 08 January 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:06 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Not everyone that drinks pints turns into an alky and not everyone that smokes a joint will become a paranoid wreck! I do agree it makes you a lazy get though!
Old 08 January 2011, 03:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Cannabis is not a booster, Leslie If you schmoke a big fat reefa, you wouln't get any high, mate. Instead, you will talk lousily through your anus, and look like a braindead piece of nothing for a long time. You will be zombified, and enjoy the impact, for that's exactly the way you would want to feel for that time and after. People that favour cannabis would say anything like cannabis smokers don't get violent, and its much better than drinking alchohol etc.etc. The fact is that cannabis is as bad as any other drug, as its long term impact i.e. paranoia or Paranoid Schizophrenia is much worse type of paranoia than the ones that fear of it hidden in a chocolate. No drug is good as it turn you into a lazy and an unreasonable kwunt IMO. Hypothesis of it's medicinal use on prescription is justified alright.
Thanks for the explanation, I have never tried it as you obviously realise.

I meant generally about the use of any form of drug in fact although Cannabis was included of course. I got heavily hooked on tobacco as a young fellow. If I had known its dangers I doubt I would have used it. It was a real fight to get off it and thank goodness I did in the end. It is of course an indication of how easy it is to slip into addiction with any of the drugs and A class drugs are bad for that and of course for what they do to you.

I always had a dislike of the thought of losing control of my mind to the influence of any drug which is why although I like a drink I will now always avoid using alcohol to excess. Previous nasty hangovers have helped in that respect even though I was never totally blotto.

Les
Old 08 January 2011, 06:34 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

skunk 15 years ago is nothing like now, it all starts for a laugh with the boys you all chip in to buy some. and then before you know it you start buying some it's bad full stop. but I doubt its worse than alcohol as the death rates tell the story. ive never seen anyone die from skunk maybe paranoia or lose the plot. but either way both in large amounts are bad. it won't surprise me if the government legalise eventually as they will generate good revenue of it.
Old 08 January 2011, 06:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by boxst

For heavens sake. You are only in your forties. You have ages before you are going to meet your maker

I am like you, have never tried drugs and only have the odd glass of wine or three, but I have no desire to try drugs in any shape or form. It just doesn't appeal to me. I like to be in control of my faculties, hence why I never get drunk, either.
Old 08 January 2011, 07:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's a dirty habit.

I cringe when I think back to Uni; there was a 'cool crowd' who thought doing weed was where it was at.
Old 08 January 2011, 07:21 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Having acquired the t-shirt and the baseball cap i fully agree with all the above, good, bad and indifferent.

Old 08 January 2011, 07:32 PM
brownstain85
Scooby Regular

People these days r sniffing plant food and horse tranquillisers! Smoking
A spliff ain't really the main concern any more
Old 08 January 2011, 07:34 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Anyone got some home grown going??

Old 08 January 2011, 07:48 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Anyone got some home grown going??

Lol!

My mate used to have a plant. The problem was it was growing in the gutter outside his bedroom window! I think it was from the spliff ends that he used to throw out onto the flat roof below.
It vanished one day when his dad cleared the blockage from the drain pipe while he was at work!

It was growing well too

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 08 January 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How drugs work: cannabis