Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telescopes

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 03:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Telescopes

Daughters 8th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. She is very interested in science and the arts and thoroughly enjoys any programmes about space and planets recently watched the sky at night live last week with me and she really enjoyed it (we both did).

Asking her what she would like and she asked for a telescope. I have always wanted one but never got around to buying one so it looks like this is a great opportunity and something we an do together.

I do not know the first thing about telescopes but have set myself a budget of around 120-150 and so far come up with this - a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

It is not a huge amount of money and it gets good reviews and seems like a good starting point.

Anyone got one or used on is it OK and does the job and a good starting point. Not expecting Jodrell Bank for that money
Old 08 January 2011, 03:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to spy on a neighbour's fit daughter?
Old 08 January 2011, 03:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

From what ive heardt from some astronomical sites, is that you should have a celestial mount? this allows you to track stars through the sky, as opposed to to manually moving the scope

dont quote me, as only look occasionally
Old 08 January 2011, 03:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Time to spy on a neighbour's fit daughter?
Old 08 January 2011, 07:12 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Looks a decent starter 'scope. You will get v good views of the moon with that.

Had one (not that one) briefly. Couldn't cope with the stigma so gave it to my nephews. They're a right pair of pervs
Old 08 January 2011, 07:24 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL! ^^^
Old 08 January 2011, 08:15 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Make sure you do the never even think about using it to view the sun routine...

dunx

P.S. Good starter, if she gets more serious then sell and upgrade later. I'm too near a railway line to bother, but the inner geek would love one.

P.P.S. Jodrell Bank is a radio telescope...

Last edited by dunx; 08 January 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2011, 08:40 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Did you see the programme the other night with Dara o'Brian? They recommended one to Johnathon Ross, and I'm sure they said it was about £100, and really easy to use (unlike some).
Old 06 February 2012, 05:05 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thread resurrection I know but Zohan did you ever get one? I've always fancied one as interested in star gazing but always assumed you'd have to spend £££'s to get even a semi decent one. After watching the last series of Star Gazing Live I jumped on Amazon and found the same Celestron model. Seems to get some great reviews and you can purchase better eyepieces for extra zoom.

For a little bit more you can get one that tracks but really how well do these work? These seem way too cheap over a regular scope to be any good?
Old 07 February 2012, 09:30 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there,

Ended up getting one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-21...7&sr=1-3-spell

Seems to work fine but you need one of these also http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Plan...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Sadly, we seem have more cloudy and overcast nights than clear but it does get used from time to time.
Old 07 February 2012, 09:52 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

P1.

I've been into astronomy for years but only recently got serious about it. A nice little write up on a starter scope can be found here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/news...elescopes.html

I've read it and it is fair advice.

As for tracking and GOTO, you get what you pay for. A tracking mount needs to be set up carefully to allow it to track the sky accurately. I honestly believe it is pointless on a cheap telescope. Yes, it'll GOTO and track a planet, but you can see it with your naked eye, so why bother when you can track by hand. A cheap scope won't show you great views on the really faint nebula/galaxies etc. so why bother having a GOTO and track for those. Hope that makes sense.

Basically, I would advise getting a quality scope with a manual mount. If you get hooked, then you can look at complex EQ GOTO and tracking mounts, which you will need when you upgrade to a much larger scope anyway or if you get into serious imaging through scopes.

I.e. don't buy a crap scope just because the GOTO and tracking mount takes most of your budget. It'll spoil it. And messing about setting it'll all up will annoy you even more if at the end of it the scope itself doesn't give a good view.

However, if your budget will stretch to around the £360 mark, then you are laughing. there is the excellent Maksutov on a quality AZ GOTO which is a great scope for planets and moon: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maks...n-az-goto.html

That is a quality tracking/GOTO mount and a great scope.

After that, the world is your lobster budget wise.

Cheers

Ian