Anyone had periodic testing(electrical) done on their house

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 09:38 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had periodic testing(electrical) done on their house

(This is not DIY)

How much did it cost you and did it throw up any unwanted surprises?

We have been advised to have it done to sweeten up our home report. We had the boiler done but didn't think about the electrics.
Old 08 January 2011, 09:44 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

How old is the house, I would be reluctant to get one done. Everything might be fine and safe, but not up to current regs and so will be slated.
Old 08 January 2011, 09:49 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

The house is about 50 years old, but the consumer unit is fitted with MCB's and RCBO's so it must have rewired at some point in the last 15/20 years. It's peace of mind for the buyer more than anything.
Old 08 January 2011, 10:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

anybody good at testing will find things wrong, there was a big change in the regs a couple of years back.

therefore cheapest company is best as they wont test just fake the report hopefully in your faviour.

i spent 5 years doing this from houses to McDonalds uk head office as the lead electrician
Old 08 January 2011, 11:51 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
anybody good at testing will find things wrong, there was a big change in the regs a couple of years back.

therefore cheapest company is best as they wont test just fake the report hopefully in your faviour.

i spent 5 years doing this from houses to McDonalds uk head office as the lead electrician
As above mate. The regs changed to the 17th edition couple years back bringing in some fairly major changes. Get a cheap as chips company in and they will probably do a "van test", where by they will come in the house, make a note of circuits and board location etc, then retire to their van to write out the test sheets/finish their thorough testing...
Old 09 January 2011, 01:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

We are in a new build (OK, it was then) but the spark didn't provide a final report for the architect. Builders got another spark to do the certificate. He found 47 points of concern. Builder paid him to fix them, then he went bust before he provided the certificate. Spark 3 managed to find a further 63 points of concern. Fixed them and did the cert. Now when I turn on the outside lights if it is raining, the house alarm goes off.
Old 09 January 2011, 01:13 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
We are in a new build (OK, it was then) but the spark didn't provide a final report for the architect. Builders got another spark to do the certificate. He found 47 points of concern. Builder paid him to fix them, then he went bust before he provided the certificate. Spark 3 managed to find a further 63 points of concern. Fixed them and did the cert. Now when I turn on the outside lights if it is raining, the house alarm goes off.
Eh, that is proper stupid, really bad.
Old 09 January 2011, 08:31 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Quality sparking you have there LOL!
Old 09 January 2011, 09:07 AM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
(This is not DIY)

How much did it cost you and did it throw up any unwanted surprises?

We have been advised to have it done to sweeten up our home report. We had the boiler done but didn't think about the electrics.
It's also worth remembering that a periodic inspection and test only needs to cover 10% of the installation
Old 09 January 2011, 02:38 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

new builds are all wired on a fixed price frequently using inexperienced guys who will work for virtually nothing, there is no money to be made so the good sparks go elsewhere unless desperate for work. The construction industry likes cheap labour over skilled labour
Old 09 January 2011, 06:07 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

There is absolutely zero chance I would do that in your position.
A Mickey Mouse check is completely pointless and the chance of a professional one not flagging up some safety/advisory issue is low, and that will then have a negative impact on your sale.
Earth bonding all to current regs?
10mm earth wire throughout?
Each circuit RCD protected?

Don't do it.
Old 09 January 2011, 06:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Adrian F
new builds are all wired on a fixed price frequently using inexperienced guys who will work for virtually nothing, there is no money to be made so the good sparks go elsewhere unless desperate for work. The construction industry likes cheap labour over skilled labour
A guy I know was a joiner on new builds for a short time, in the same situation. Because they get paid **** all for the initial build, they would only half do the jobs. At the finish when the house got snagged, they would be paid twice as much to come back in and redo the half-arsed jobs, different department, separate budget

I would imagine the sparks (plus the plumbers) work in the same way
Old 09 January 2011, 08:38 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
There is absolutely zero chance I would do that in your position.
A Mickey Mouse check is completely pointless and the chance of a professional one not flagging up some safety/advisory issue is low, and that will then have a negative impact on your sale.
Earth bonding all to current regs?
10mm earth wire throughout?
Each circuit RCD protected?

Don't do it.
I was told (not by the surveyor) that i could have liability on any future problems after the purchase has gone through, as in the time we have lived here we have had sweet FA done on the electrics/Gas etc.
Something i cant see as being true, but none the less fueled the idea initially put to me by the surveyor to have it done.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:30 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i thought it was sold as seen
Old 09 January 2011, 10:41 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Not one I've heard. Nonsense I expect.

When you fill out (if you have not already) the Property Information Form which is then given to the solicitors and therefore any buyers, you are asked if you have had any work carried out on the wiring whilst you have owned the house and to provide the electricians certification where appropriate. And you are also asked if you have had the wiring inspected at any time and to provide the certificate if so.
I answered 'no' to both questions a year ago, which was the truth, and that was that.

To most people buying a house a fancy fitted kitchen or bathroom is far more important than the electrics, provided the lights come on and the TV works.
It'll only be a problem if it looks like a problem. i.e. there are switches or sockets hanging off or loose wires on display.