Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

US vs UK Salary

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2011, 11:15 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US vs UK Salary

Anyone work in America, I am recruiting a new Database Administrator over there and the salary is around $80,000, at current exchange rates that is about £51,200, so what I am after is would the candidate be better off over there with that salary than someone on its equivalent over here.

I know they have to pay healthcare, but we pay more tax and NI, as far as I am aware their sales tax (VAT) is only like 4%, fuel is much cheaper but is there anything I am missing that they have to pay that we dont or vice versa ?
Old 12 January 2011, 11:23 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houses seem to be way cheaper so less of a mortgage I assume?
Old 12 January 2011, 11:28 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

you get a lot for your money property wise out there.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:28 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

they have to spend a lot of their salary on burgers
Old 12 January 2011, 11:35 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The standard annual leave entitlement is far less so I've heard - 15-20 days.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:41 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, i thought that about the leave situation, however they seem to have designated sick days and when I am there I have learnt to fly home on a Thursday night rather than Friday as the place is empty on Friday, they all work from home then knock off early, its like a ghost town !

So, dont feel too sorry for them.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:43 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Where is it? I have people working for me in America and I can give you an idea of cost of living etc...

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2011, 11:48 AM
amego
Scooby Regular

train me up and ill do it
Old 12 January 2011, 12:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, understand that, but its the best I have to go on, it's in Atlanta.
Old 12 January 2011, 12:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Yes I remember now as I think we had a brief exchange about how rubbish Delta are and I refused to fly them to Atlanta. I worked there (well, Roswell 40 miles north) on and off for a few years (few weeks in the UK / week in Atlanta).

Cost of living is relatively cheap, housing is cheap (certainly cheaper than here). If you live in an area outside of Atlanta it is relatively safe. Atlanta itself has the second highest per-capita murder rate, it disposed LA whilst I was working there.

Atlanta is a 'right to work' state which is not that good if you are planning to move there with a family. Basically if I didn't like someones tie in the morning I could fire them. There is no comeback, no rights, and you get two weeks notice / pay.

As mentioned above, the holidays are minimal, the healthcare expensive. Even if your work pays, you will still have to pay to see the doctor and co-pay for presciptions.

The schools are a bit hit and miss and you need to research the area that you plan to live in to see how the local schools are (bit like here, but more drastic if you get it wrong).

To answer the original question, $80K is a good salary in that area and you can have a reasonable life style for that.

Steve

Last edited by boxst; 12 January 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12 January 2011, 12:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

..and although cost of living seems less, you might want to plan for your kids to go to uni.

It costs a bit more than the 6k we are currently moaning about!
Old 12 January 2011, 12:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Steve, its not me, no plans to move there, just trying to gauge what the salray equates to for my job over there.

Our office is in Tucker and there are some nice bits but overall, where I stay in Northlake feels a bit liek Grand Theft Auto at night, not threatening (not after Central manchester it isn't) but there is an edge to it I didnt get anywhere else.

Well aware of the working legislation, a couple of my colleagues over there were let go easily, over here in my old team the three redundancies they made were a complex operation involving HR and all sorts.

Will be doing the Delat thing again in a few weeks I expect, oh the anticipation, nothing like 8 or 9 hours on an ancient 767 with no in flight entertainment save for a telly stolen from the local chippy slung 40 feet ahead of you to redefine your boredom threhold
Old 14 January 2011, 01:42 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
nothing like 8 or 9 hours on an ancient 767 with no in flight entertainment save for a telly stolen from the local chippy slung 40 feet ahead of you to redefine your boredom threhold
LOL not that ancient!

I'm currently crew-changing sometimes on a DC-9 that dates back to the late 60's. I kid you not.
Old 14 January 2011, 08:37 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I shall be back in St Louis very soon.Salary over there is on par with over here.Only thing im bothered about is doing my own tax thing...
Nice little bar that i know,just down the road in South City,has my seat waiting for me,and a nice beer at $2 can't be bad.
I love America me.
Old 14 January 2011, 10:09 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Anyone work in America, I am recruiting a new Database Administrator over there and the salary is around $80,000, at current exchange rates that is about £51,200, so what I am after is would the candidate be better off over there with that salary than someone on its equivalent over here.

I know they have to pay healthcare, but we pay more tax and NI, as far as I am aware their sales tax (VAT) is only like 4%, fuel is much cheaper but is there anything I am missing that they have to pay that we dont or vice versa ?
Oracle Financials?
Express?
Hyperion?

Where is the job located?

I may have some candidates for you.