Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK tax system explained in beer

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2011, 10:31 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK tax system explained in beer

Suppose that once a week, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this..

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay £1.
The sixth would pay £3.
The seventh would pay £7.
The eighth would pay £12.
The ninth would pay £18.
And the tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.
So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every week and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until, one day, the owner caused them a little problem. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your weekly beer by £20.” Drinks for the ten men would now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free but what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share? They realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33 but if they subtracted that from everybody's share then not only would the first four men still be drinking for free but the fifth and sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fairer to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage. They decided to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so, the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (a 100% saving).
The sixth man now paid £2 instead of £3 (a 33% saving).
The seventh man now paid £5 instead of £7 (a 28% saving).
The eighth man now paid £9 instead of £12 (a 25% saving).
The ninth man now paid £14 instead of £18 (a 22% saving).
And the tenth man now paid £49 instead of £59 (a 16% saving).
Each of the last six was better off than before with the first four continuing to drink for free.

But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got £1 out of the £20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got £10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a £1 too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back, when I only got £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next week the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important - they didn't have enough money between all of them to pay for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works.. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy and they just might not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

(This is as it was sent to me, but the astute among you will notice there is an error in the numbers somewhere - the £20 saving ends up as a £21 saving when it is divided up. I couldn't be bothered to work our where the error is as the analogy still stands up.)
Old 12 January 2011, 10:36 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Sorry - forgot to do a search first so didn't realise this was a SIAL.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:42 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

thanks for sharing
Old 12 January 2011, 11:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

So 10% of taxpayers generate 59% of tax income ... sounds like BS to me!

TX.
Old 13 January 2011, 12:19 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

If you take the distribution of income that probably isn't far out. A quick google search and I can't confirm that though.
Old 13 January 2011, 07:32 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

The 90% percentile income in the UK is ~£40K, so it's quite likely that the top 10% pay more than half of all income tax.
Old 13 January 2011, 07:48 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
Professor of Economics.
Originally Posted by Terminator X
So 10% of taxpayers generate 59% of tax income ... sounds like BS to me!

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2011, 08:50 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The fact remains though that in an ideal world those who earn more should pay more. It's their duty to society.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:21 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

The issue with the UK is we are reducing the wealth creators and increasing the wealth consumers.

Public sector workers now make up > 50% of the UK workforce!!!
Old 13 January 2011, 10:32 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

The fact remains that those that earn less should not be relying on those that earn more to pay them a living. It's their duty to help keep the wealth creators in the UK.

Last edited by zip106; 13 January 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
The fact remains that those that earn less should not be relying on those that earn more to pay them a living. It's their duty to help keep the wealth creators in the UK.
You bit
Old 13 January 2011, 10:57 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You bit
So did you!
Old 13 January 2011, 12:10 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

More bollocks spouted around the internet...

http://davidk.myweb.uga.edu/

Contrary to Internet folklore, Dr. Kamerschen is NOT the author of "Tax Cuts: A Simple Lesson in Economics" or “Bar Stool Economics” or anything similar to that. Additionally, he does NOT know who wrote it and he has no opinion on its merits.
Old 13 January 2011, 12:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Suppose that once a week, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this..

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay £1.
The sixth would pay £3.
The seventh would pay £7.
The eighth would pay £12.
The ninth would pay £18.
And the tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.
So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every week and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until, one day, the owner caused them a little problem. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your weekly beer by £20.” Drinks for the ten men would now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free but what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share? They realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33 but if they subtracted that from everybody's share then not only would the first four men still be drinking for free but the fifth and sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fairer to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage. They decided to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so, the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (a 100% saving).
The sixth man now paid £2 instead of £3 (a 33% saving).
The seventh man now paid £5 instead of £7 (a 28% saving).
The eighth man now paid £9 instead of £12 (a 25% saving).
The ninth man now paid £14 instead of £18 (a 22% saving).
And the tenth man now paid £49 instead of £59 (a 16% saving).
Each of the last six was better off than before with the first four continuing to drink for free.

But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got £1 out of the £20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got £10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a £1 too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back, when I only got £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next week the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important - they didn't have enough money between all of them to pay for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works.. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy and they just might not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Professor of Economics.

(This is as it was sent to me, but the astute among you will notice there is an error in the numbers somewhere - the £20 saving ends up as a £21 saving when it is divided up. I couldn't be bothered to work our where the error is as the analogy still stands up.)
I enjoyed that too.

Les
Old 13 January 2011, 12:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

So if I quit my job and become poor, does that mean I can get free drinks at the pub?
Old 13 January 2011, 01:26 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
More bollocks spouted around the internet...

http://davidk.myweb.uga.edu/
He should lay claim to it as lots of people think it is very clever!!
Old 13 January 2011, 02:08 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
So if I quit my job and become poor, does that mean I can get free drinks at the pub?
Depends on whether your mates actually like you.
Old 13 January 2011, 08:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Depends on whether your mates actually like you.
In that case, I'm fcuked.