Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What Frequent Flyer schemes are you in?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2011, 08:11 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Frequent Flyer schemes are you in?

I've been flying for years but never bothered with frequent flyer schemes except for Qantas but I don't live in Australia anymore.

So I just enrolled in the BA one and put some recent flights in to reclaim them and so I'll be on my way to Silver.

I only really care about this so I can use the Lounge. I was in the one at Heathrow T5 a few weeks ago and it seriously RAWKS. Awesome food, drinks etc. Great place to chill out between flights.

I was considering the KLM one but it seems they are a pain in the **** with when it comes to reclaiming flights, which is a shame because TBH I prefer Amsterdam over Heathrow, and I like KLM.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 16 February 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:40 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Flying Blue has the advantage of being Air France as well.

When FlyBe took over a lot of Air France flights out of Manchester, was hoping they would count towards the scheme, but no such luck.

IME saving up for flights you need to do serious mileage, but as you say the lounge access and occasional upgrades can make it worthwhile.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Emirates - Gold!!
Old 16 February 2011, 01:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Erm. I collect airmiles

I get double miles if I use my American Depressed card. I convert shell points to miles, as with Tesco, nectar and whatever else has point schemes.

Got enough to get to Rome and back in cattle class.

Used to use them to get the lounge in Brum airport to get some peace during silly season. If I do fly out of LHR I always use a lounge anyway, but I avoid all the london airports like the plague anyway.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 February 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:54 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Emirates - Gold!!
I've probably flow more miles on Emirates than any other airline.

They are ok but IMHO very much like Dubai, beneath the luxurious exterior are at bit soulless/artificial and somehow missing some quality.

Maybe it's the 3rd world trolly dollies with fake smiles? A little bit too desperate to please?

Flying KLM/BA/Lufty feels more comforting somehow. BA especially feels like home.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Erm. I collect airmiles

I get double miles if I use my American Depressed card. I convert shell points to miles, as with Tesco, nectar and whatever else has point schemes.

Got enough to get to Rome and back in cattle class.

Used to use them to get the lounge in Brum airport to get some peace during silly season. If I do fly out of LHR I always use a lounge anyway, but I avoid all the london airports like the plague anyway.
You reward scheme *****!

Did you get the BA credit card thingy?
Old 16 February 2011, 02:01 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

They are ok but IMHO very much like Dubai, beneath the luxurious exterior are at bit soulless/artificial and somehow missing some quality.

Maybe it's the 3rd world trolly dollies with fake smiles? A little bit too desperate to please?

Flying KLM/BA/Lufty feels more comforting somehow. BA especially feels like home.
BA gold for 10 years and running. I had enough BA miles to fly to the moon and back (first class).

Have you seen the "magic hands" stock replenishment system in some of the german lufty lounges ?

Handy hint, next time you travel snip the top right corner of your boarding card off before you pass through security
Old 16 February 2011, 02:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have expected you to be a fan given their country of origin

Their aircraft are new, reliable and spacious even in economy. I use my points to upgrade to business class which is way better than any other business class I have sampled and while I take your point about lackig a bit of soul they do the job better than any other airline I know especially British Airways who will never get another bean out of me after their f**k ups of a few years ago.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You reward scheme *****!

Did you get the BA credit card thingy?
I'm not proud LOL: Most of my wallet is full of reward cards

I use Lloyds Airmiles duo - I pay off the full amount on DD from my current account to avoid the interest.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I wouldn't have expected you to be a fan given their country of origin

Their aircraft are new, reliable and spacious even in economy. I use my points to upgrade to business class which is way better than any other business class I have sampled and while I take your point about lackig a bit of soul they do the job better than any other airline I know especially British Airways who will never get another bean out of me after their f**k ups of a few years ago.
I don't like Dubai but it's only that I find it vulgar and in bad taste.

Yeah Emirates have lots of new planes but I do hear they work their pilots very hard and some complain about it. They almost crashed that A340 at Melbourne a couple of years ago due to long hours/fatigue.

I'd choose BA/KLM/Lufy for safety personally.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Plus Emirates seem to be hard to get booze out of.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:20 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I have 100k of VA points, trying to spend them is almost impossible.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:59 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I have 100k of VA points, trying to spend them is almost impossible.
You don't think loyalty schemes are for the benefit of customers do you ?
Old 16 February 2011, 03:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I don't like Dubai but it's only that I find it vulgar and in bad taste.

Yeah Emirates have lots of new planes but I do hear they work their pilots very hard and some complain about it. They almost crashed that A340 at Melbourne a couple of years ago due to long hours/fatigue.

I'd choose BA/KLM/Lufy for safety personally.
Cool, you stick to BA and KLM and the likes and I will stick to Emirates as the only thing that could spoil an Emirates flight for me would be having a seat next to you Or your insignificant chum of course
Old 16 February 2011, 04:34 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I've been flying for years but never bothered with frequent flyer schemes except for Qantas but I don't live in Australia anymore.

So I just enrolled in the BA one and put some recent flights in to reclaim them and so I'll be on my way to Silver.

I only really care about this so I can use the Lounge. I was in the one at Heathrow T5 a few weeks ago and it seriously RAWKS. Awesome food, drinks etc. Great place to chill out between flights.

I was considering the KLM one but it seems they are a pain in the **** with when it comes to reclaiming flights, which is a shame because TBH I prefer Amsterdam over Heathrow, and I like KLM.

I'm with them, takes about 30 seconds via their web site to reclaim a flight.
Old 16 February 2011, 05:50 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Got 90k KLM air miles as I flew with them and their partners quite a bit for a couple of years. Now the miles expire so you're scammed into taking flights you don't want to keep them active! Did a trip to Paris on AF's A380 mainly for that purpose (don't tell our lass!) last year. It's a shame for me that Continental have switched away from KLM's alliance and NWA (who I liked) have merged into Delta (who I don't!)

The miles are a scam in that the taxes and fees charged on a reward booking pretty much amount to an economy fare anyway. The fees aren't that much more for business though, so I'm saving towards 100k miles which is enough for 2 biz returns to wherever in the States is on a half miles offer.

I believe that's about all you can do with KLM miles, no upgrading with miles as per other schemes. Still worth joining though, if only for the extra baggage and faster reclaim once an elite member.

Also got BA and BMI accounts for the odds and sods I've done with their alliances, might be useful one day.