Government defends £1bn of aid to India

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2011, 10:07 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Government defends £1bn of aid to India

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...-1bn-aid-india

Decision to maintain aid of £280m a year likely to infuriate some MPs, who believe UK should not give aid to a nation that spends £20bn a year on defence
^^^And doesn't that say it all.

So we the citizens of this country are expected to put up with cuts to our services due to no money available. We are expected to embrace The Big Society and help out volunteer to keep services open and available due to cuts and no money.

Yet we can give 280m a year until 2015 to a country on the up, a country with an emerging economy. A country with a nuclear weapons programme so hardly skint itself.

Do we have to help everybody and put the rest of the world before ourselves? - is 1bn over 4 years pocket change???

India has the capacity and ability be a global player and is emerging as such so why do we need to spend this money???

And do not tell me it is to guarantee future trade because all that means is the money is a thinly disguised BRIBE!
Old 16 February 2011, 10:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more and who cares if it is a drop in the ocean. It's the principle of the matter. As we have all said on here we need a government with a spine and who actually wants to put the UK's inhabitants first!!
Old 16 February 2011, 10:13 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Morning Paul. It is a little strange to give aid to country that itself gives aid and may actually refuse it?! India is on the up and good luck to them but charity must begin at home. We cannot justify this huge amount of tax payers money given away.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:15 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The sad fact is that 42% of the worlds malnourished children are from India though.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...#ixzz1DtL232ND

Unfortunately there is little inclanation to help these people as they are deemed bottom feeders.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:15 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Proper **** take, we need all the money we can get to get the country back to a good place financially!
Old 16 February 2011, 10:19 AM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

That lot may have kept Ark Royal, the Harrier fleet and Nimrod.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:21 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
As we have all said on here
There's no we, f1_fan. No collective.

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2011, 10:25 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
The sad fact is that 42% of the worlds malnourished children are from India though.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...#ixzz1DtL232ND

Unfortunately there is little inclanation to help these people as they are deemed bottom feeders.
I hate to see this and it is wrong - perhaps 10bn of thee 20bn India currently spends on defence could go towards hospitals, education and more importantly food and looking after the children - perhaps alll of the 20bn,

If India was skint - had no money then it would not be so bad, the right thing to do even, but this is so obviously not the case.

Shame on you Cameron!
Old 16 February 2011, 10:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yorvik
That lot may have kept Ark Royal, the Harrier fleet and Nimrod.
It would certainly have gone some way to it.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:43 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of being piloried, this aid is already supporting the UK economy and jobs with BAE having signed a £500m deal to supply aircraft (The one big example I could find). $25bn worth of Indian aerospace contracts have been signed over the last couple of years and and a further $41bn of contracts up for grabs in the Indian aerospace sector (according to KPMG).

OK Paul, so it's a bribe if you like but so what if it helps in support the UK economy, create jobs in the UK and provide a return on investment?

source
Old 16 February 2011, 10:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
At the risk of being piloried, this aid is already supporting the UK economy and jobs with BAE having signed a £500m deal to supply aircraft (The one big example I could find). $25bn worth of Indian aerospace contracts have been signed over the last couple of years and and a further $41bn of contracts up for grabs in the Indian aerospace sector (according to KPMG).

OK Paul, so it's a bribe if you like but so what if it helps in support the UK economy, create jobs in the UK and provide a return on investment?

source
What we are good at is high quality engineering and technology - you just need to look at our aerospace industry as an example.

Are you saying that without paying 1bn we would not win the contracts on our own merits - in which case the money is just that - A BRIBE to guarantee business.

India exports goods and services to the UK amongst many countries and vies versa and that is trade, not blackmail and bribery and trade is how it should be!

If India has 25-40bn to spend on defence then surely this money would be better spent on the people, on housing, on infrastructure, on education, on healthcare, on feeding kids. Who exactly are they afraid of - Pakistan - OK then spending more and more on defence will just escalate as the other side tries to keep up - it is a vicious circle and one they should be able to resolve instead of the people in India suffering and the services and people back in the UK also suffering with cutbacks - not just libraries, but care of children, of elderly of the vulnerable of the sick.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 February 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would rather UK bribed/invested in India to try and keep it on our side in the future. As just said aid can also pay dividends in trade deals.

My personal take it that I would rather see my tax spent on helping out starving people rather than spending billions on things like Trident and pretending that UK is still at the "Top Table" of world politics (which incidentally makes us more of a target for terrorist attacks).

dl
Old 16 February 2011, 10:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
(which incidentally makes us more of a target for terrorist attacks).
Well that and fighting America's war for them by helping to illegally invade two countries
Old 16 February 2011, 11:07 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well that and fighting America's war for them by helping to illegally invade two countries
Yes all those Iraqi terrorists attacking us!
Old 16 February 2011, 11:17 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Yes all those Iraqi terrorists attacking us!
That's what you get when you occupy someone else's country!
Old 16 February 2011, 11:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Erm, why does TATA not fund this. Oh, sorry, we bailed them out too.

The only good of this is if this allows us to "use" India as some sort of UK owned workhouse to compete with China. China will eventually self-consume itself in about 20 years, by which time, India will be in full swing.

My kitchen worktops came from India...probably chipped out of a rock face by an eight year old. If aid does something to stop this, or is used to prevent al qaeda getting a foothold, then I'll be a little less concerned. However if its wasted on government bureaucracy and military posturing then it is money down the drain.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 February 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 11:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep em sweet
Old 16 February 2011, 12:01 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Shame on you Cameron!
I despise Cameron, I really think he's a two faced lying b@stard
Old 16 February 2011, 12:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I would rather UK bribed/invested in India to try and keep it on our side in the future. As just said aid can also pay dividends in trade deals.

My personal take it that I would rather see my tax spent on helping out starving people rather than spending billions on things like Trident and pretending that UK is still at the "Top Table" of world politics (which incidentally makes us more of a target for terrorist attacks).

dl

Exactly, aircraft carriers and Trident are useless for our modern enemy; the Terrorist.

As for pirates...let the oil companies fund the aircraft carriers to police the waters (they aren't even "our" waters ).
Old 16 February 2011, 12:40 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Oh well it could be worse.

We need to do what Egypt have recently done.
Old 16 February 2011, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by PaulC72

They've haven't done anything yet....For all we know they could vote in a terrorist sympathiser.
Old 16 February 2011, 12:57 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72

Have you been to Egypt? You, and others, have absolutely no idea how fortunate we are in this country. No idea!!
Old 16 February 2011, 12:58 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

And what makes it even more annoying is the Indians have apparently turned round and said "We dont need it and we wont be upset or hold it against you if you keep the money", and they're still giving away our much needed money
Old 16 February 2011, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have to be fair to the politicians of course. It is terribly important to them personally to be loved by all the other world leaders, or to appear so at least, they have to ensure they keep their feet under the world conference tables. They love to feel important!

So dishing out someone else's cash to maintain the status quo is the obvious thing to do, under the pretence of it being our duty to support states with a booming economy.

Les
Old 16 February 2011, 01:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I despise Cameron, I really think he's a two faced lying b@stard
He's a Tory politician, it's a pre-requisite for the job
Old 16 February 2011, 01:23 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Have you been to Egypt? You, and others, have absolutely no idea how fortunate we are in this country. No idea!!
That is a true. We are much better off than some countries. You cannot possibly draw a parallel between us and the Egyptians.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
That is a true. We are much better off than some countries. You cannot possibly draw a parallel between us and the Egyptians.
Exactly - can you imagine a group of Trafalgar Square protesters going back the next day to clean the place up because they are proud of their country

dl
Old 16 February 2011, 01:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

its very easy to quantify how much aid, very difficult to quantify how much we get in return in contracts, sales markets etc

think thats the issue, i'd be very suprised if we don't get more back than we give.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:42 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Though this concept of aid to certain countries at times like this seems illogical as mentioned by some others we probably get more back in deals, especially defence contracts
Old 16 February 2011, 01:47 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Exactly - can you imagine a group of Trafalgar Square protesters going back the next day to clean the place up because they are proud of their country

dl
Have you been to Cairo, David?

Quick Reply: Government defends £1bn of aid to India