Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Silverstone Grand Prix Advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2011, 10:22 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstone Grand Prix Advice

It's my 40th this year and I'm thinking of organising one of Silverstone's hospitality packages for the F1 Grand Prix.

I've never been to Silverstone to watch a GP so can anyone recommend/know of the best VFM packages they offer?

Which part of the coarse is the best to view the action etc

Budget is probably max £900 per person.

Cheers

Kyle

Last edited by scooby L; 16 February 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:27 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Where's nat21 when you need him

I can't help but my mate has just booked spa which works out cheaper then silverstone including his flights
Old 16 February 2011, 10:30 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Kyle,

A lot of Silverstone will be new this year I believe as there will be new pits and the track layout was changed last year as well. So its difficult to say where will be best until you know the new layout etc. Personally I would prefer a general roving ticket as you get to see more that way rather than be seated in one spot which will not necessarily give a good view as some hospitality units are a good way from the track..

And if I was spending nearly £1k I would go to Monaco for the GP there which is easily attainable on £1k/pp inc flights etc

Chip
Old 16 February 2011, 10:31 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I would say Beckets is the best place to watch it these days, as you see the cars go through Beckets itself as well as through the new layout Village and The Loop corners. I haven't done a hospitality package so can't comment on how good that is.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:31 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

interesting cheers!... I've always wanted to do Spa

Back to Silverstone, ignore the hospitality..:

Granstands listed are
Club
Woodcote A
Becketts
Village B
Luffield C

Opinions of any of these greatly received ty
Old 16 February 2011, 10:37 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with a roving ticket is that you only get grandstand access on a Friday, the other two days you need a grandstand seat, and on Qually and Race Day, it is a nightmare to get a good vantage point, so even though it's considerably cheaper to do a roving seat, the experience is nowhere near as good as a grandstand seat (plus you can still roam around the track even with a grandstand ticket )
Old 16 February 2011, 10:46 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

cheers,

So Beckett's is the best bet regarding a covered grandstand.... looks a good location I must admit.. I cannot get any info on the website regarding "Club Silverstone" which is next to the becketts grandstand... anyone ever done this?

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2011, 01:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Becketts is great if your standing trackside ,really quick. But I would deffo not bother with grandstand there as it is too far away from the track.

Chip
Old 16 February 2011, 01:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to go to a good few big races but I can't help feeling now that the best way to see a GP with full information about everyone's progress is to watch it on TV.

Les
Old 16 February 2011, 02:08 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

agreed Les, but there is nothing quite like the noise.. the TV never captures that.
Old 16 February 2011, 03:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Oh yes you are right there-I do miss that bit.

Les
Old 16 February 2011, 04:28 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

JEALOOOOUUUUSS!

Wouldn't care which Grand Prix i'd get to as i've never been, but Monaco would have been my choice and live it up!
Old 16 February 2011, 05:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be impressed if you could get any tickets for the grandstands this late, they are normally sold out within a few weeks of going on sale, thats normally back in September
Have done both the roaming and the seats, beckets is good but if you want to roam then the best time is very early and take a small fold up chair, you need to be camping by the track (first corner is good ) as it gets filled up very quickly, but if you do one of the hospitallity packages (normally not very cheap) you wont need a ticket to roam as you get the best view in the middle anyway

Tony
Old 16 February 2011, 05:32 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Where's nat21 when you need him

I can't help but my mate has just booked spa which works out cheaper then silverstone including his flights
I've been to Spa and Silverstone for the F1, Spa wins hands down, 'but' it was bloody cold!
Old 16 February 2011, 07:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im gonna have to disagree on recommending Becketts. The cars have already lost speed through Maggots. I was there 2009 and last year was in a grandstand just before Stowe which I was really impressed with as at the end of the hangar straight so flat out. The grandstand actually shakes with the force of the cars braking into Stowe.

I havent sat there but Copse must be good seeing the cars go flat out then sharp right.

Only going to Friday practice this year to take some pics.
Old 16 February 2011, 07:55 PM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

My Dad makes me laugh when he brings up going to a Grand Prix back in the 60's..Before flashy real time score boards /Large TV screens,The Tannoy was far away and could'nt hear it ..After a few laps he didnt know who was leading or even know who one the race i dont think !!..Mum said she was bored stiff ..lol
Old 16 February 2011, 09:50 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

We went in 2009. Got a weekend ticket (Fri, Sat, Sun), was about £260 ish each from memory. This was for a seat in Luffield A on the Sunday, and allowed us to use any other stand during the Fri & Sat.

The only stands we couldn't go in was the stands opposite the pit lane.

We also found out they no longer allow you to cross the circuit to go into the middle of the circuit unless you have particular passes (can get over after the race). We also went in 2004 or 2005 i think and then you could go into the centre of the circuit but obviously could only go as far as the fence surrounding the pit lane.

Great weekend. We camped at Hamilton Fields camp site, about 20 min walk to circuit.
Old 17 February 2011, 11:25 AM
Scooby Senior

If you don't get a grandstand seat, be prepared to go to the track for 6am and stay in your seats until after the race. on race day or you won't have a good spot.

We've done both and it was much better with granstand tickets

We stay at whittlebury park in the camping area, the majority of the drivers stay at the hotel there if you want to go autograph hunting. The nighly entertainment at the beer tent is good too and there is a cut through to the circuit, 5 mins walk which also means that you can hear the cars going round when you wake up