Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone else angered by their council change to refuse collection?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2011, 02:27 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*cough* photo *cough* local paper *cough*

(the photo will prove very quickly that you were not told....)
Old 18 February 2011, 02:39 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Move to Ashford, we are the worst recyclers in the UK but I am happy that I can put any number of black bags on my doorstep and they all get picked up
Old 18 February 2011, 02:49 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Are council recycles everything but drinks cartons (tetra packs) so i takes these every couple weeks to the recycling centre (tip) and they have a skip for them.
If you have extra rubbish, why not just take it to the tip?? Yes, yes i know we all pay council tax but rather than leave it in my garden/garage, id rather just drop it off at the tip. Too many people seem to be bloody minded and refuse to take it to the tip but, put up with it smelling in the garden/garage etc.
Old 18 February 2011, 02:54 PM
Scooby Senior

We have 4 big bins, Black for normal waste (once a week), blue for paper/carboard (2weeks), brown for plastic and glass (2 weeks) and a black with pink for garden waste(every other saturday)
Old 18 February 2011, 02:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

FPMSL, you'll get nowhere by calling them or writing them for that matter! Isn't it great the way "they" keep passing costs & time drains on to us all the while saving themselves money whilst increasing general taxes / NI & community tax every year ... grrrr

TX.
Old 18 February 2011, 02:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
That single woman must feel aggrieved at having to pay for all your waste to be taken away... maybe they should revise the way you pay for these council services and base it on the number of people living in the house? that way you can get the service you require and the woman over the road isn't paying excessively for all your waste.

Flawless plan as I see it
Maggie Thatcher wanabee

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 18 February 2011, 03:20 PM
Scooby Senior

I'd say it is easier but it's hard to hide 4 big bins and also having 3 bins in the kitchen is a right PITA
Old 18 February 2011, 03:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
That single woman must feel aggrieved at having to pay for all your waste to be taken away... maybe they should revise the way you pay for these council services and base it on the number of people living in the house? that way you can get the service you require and the woman over the road isn't paying excessively for all your waste.

Flawless plan as I see it
That's why the single woman living on her own gets a 25% reduction in council tax

Old 18 February 2011, 04:04 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
We have 2 bins, 1 green for cardboard/plastics recylcing and a black bin for normal waste. The black bin is emptied weekly and the green one two weekly.

Our black bin wasn't collected yesterday so this morning phoned the council to complain only to find out in their infinite wisdom they've put the black bins to 2 weekly as well without telling anyone.

According to them they did tell everyone just like apparently they have given us all food slop bins which must be invisible as no one here has one.

The bins are full if not overflowing after 1 week let alone 2. WTF do they expect us to do with the bags of rubbish now the bins are only going to be empied every other week? Start eating less? Ask my baby son to do less dirty nappies? Create my own landfill site in my back garden? Have a bonfire once a week? Take up fly tipping?

I have lodged an official complaint to the council and am waiting a call back where there is going to be one hell of an argument I suspect. They wont even give us a bigger bin even though there are 5 of us in the house yet we have the same size bin as the single woman living opposite.

Anyone else in 'conversation' with their delightful council over cut backs in services? As I paid my council tax for the year and the portion of the bill for waste management was based on weekly collections then how about a pro rata refund for the last 2 months of the year where the service is halved? I also expect to see our council tax bill to go down from April now the collections are halved this is only half the service it was before and therefore half the cost.

I fully expect the phone call back to be an utter waste of time and will have to look at how I take it much further. Letter to the council, local mp, stop paying my council tax (that will get immediate attention of course) etc.

Oh and I can't be the only victor meldrew in the village, when I took the dog out at lunch time I saw lots of places with their bins still out waiting for a non existant bin collection who are going to be less than pleased when they find out what i've found out.
Feel for your situation. We have 3 bins, 1 for general waste, one for carboard & plastics and one for garden "stuff". All fortnightly. December was hellish with the snow we had. Went around 4-5 weeks with nothing and the local tip were shut due to the snow as well But then when they did come round, they weren't sympathetic in the slightest - still refusing to empty a bin with the lid up an inch. So I just proper compacted the plastics bin by jumping in it and watched them have fun trying to empty it.

But no doubt they will blame government cuts but still have plenty of non-job penpushers on £30k a year making these decisions, not to mention the chief exec on more than the PM
Old 18 February 2011, 05:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian

But no doubt they will blame government cuts but still have plenty of non-job penpushers on £30k a year making these decisions, not to mention the chief exec on more than the PM

Yep. Make cuts on services just to make sure they can have their yearly pay increases.

I have no problem at all with our bins. The binlad gets a good Christmas present of us every year, he takes whatever is left out. Bugger the council
Old 18 February 2011, 07:32 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my bins are every two weeks and from april if you want any large items lifted like beds tv wardrobe which used to be free they are going to start charging about £37 each uplift
Old 18 February 2011, 08:31 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
my bins are every two weeks and from april if you want any large items lifted like beds tv wardrobe which used to be free they are going to start charging about £37 each uplift
And they wonder why fly tipping is getting more popular
Old 18 February 2011, 08:37 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes and if people do that i will get a factors bill for them removing it as i bought my local authority house i get bill for them repainting a no ball game sign scared to think how many i will get for people fly tipping
Old 18 February 2011, 08:43 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Why does everyone want to re-invent the wheel & do everything differently.
Surley they have been recycling in other countries for ages.Why don't they find the most efficient & cost-effective system that is already in place.
Why, when they have Euro regulations for seemingly petty things don't we have a European Standard for household recycling?
Then the same system should be applied across all councils & result in a massive economy of scale cost saving as we would have a standardised Euro-wide system.It would also save confusion about all the various differnet systems used in different areas.
Old 18 February 2011, 09:14 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

our council done this . the solution is the largest garden shredder you can find , shred everything then see how much you can fit in one poxy black wheely bin ps i have 3kids as well so we create a lot of waste
Old 18 February 2011, 10:12 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

You will get used to fort nighty collections

Everyone in cumbria does

You will get no ware by shouting at your council

I know I'm a councillor myself !

Govt iinitiative to get us green and recycle
( yet emissions are up and petrol for separate vehicles to collect but thats a different debate) :d

Use pack them in tight and recyle everything you can
Many families have 4 kids and cope with it .
Old 18 February 2011, 10:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The answer to two week collections is adopt new waste management techniques: Ours is to find a fat person, get them to climb into the bin and then do the fabled "wheelie bin dance" for a minimum of 30seconds.

The wheelie bin dance is sort of a cross between the Truffle Shuffle and treading wine grapes.

Apparently, the producers BBC's "strictly come dancing" is considering to use this dance in next week's show

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 February 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 18 February 2011, 10:50 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To the O/P,i too was miffed at 1st when our council 1 yr ago did this,so i have expereince LOL,BUT,if you DO recycle all your recyclables,2 weeks for the black bin is more than adequate
Old 18 February 2011, 10:51 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The answer to two week collections is adopt now waste managment techniques: Ours is to find a fat person, get them to climb into the bin and then do the fabled "wheelie bin dance" for a minimum of 30seconds.

The wheelie bin dance is sort of a cross between the Truffle Shuffle and treading wine grapes.

Apparently, the producers BBC's "strictly come dancing" is considering to use this dance in next week's show

Glad its just not me then
Old 18 February 2011, 10:53 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, we went 5 weeks over Christmas without a black bin collection.
Old 18 February 2011, 10:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Why, when they have Euro regulations for seemingly petty things don't we have a European Standard for household recycling?

It would also save confusion about all the various differnet systems used in different areas.

If we adpoted a typical Euro waste collection system we would not have any waste collections;

We'd have a waste enclosure (i.e a local "dump") at the end of our street or in a communial area. In which we have to take our rubbish down to ourselves and then sort into the appropriate dumpsters (pardon the Americanism) or rubbish chutes leading to a below surface skip. Of which is emptied once or twice a week (depending on local agreements)

I personally quite like that idea; Saves the bin lorry getting blocked my mrs Moggins who has parked her Micra 2ft away from the curb (again), spilt mess, noise and Wheelie bins littered all over the pavement. And it is also much more cost effective; no bin lorry stop-start-stop start, so better on fuel, brakes and pollution. The work force spend more time emptying bins rather than walking bins to and from the bin lorry, and no local congestion from bin lorries blocking the road whilst collecting

Of course, not so good for the less mobile. And we should expect a decrease in council tax rates for adpoting a more cost effective system....but as we know that'll never happen. We would pay the same, and they'd give us less (whilst they complain about goverement cuts, but refuse to sack the "old boys" club members and middle management pen pushers on £50K+ wages ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 February 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 18 February 2011, 11:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We could probably get away with a four weekly collection to be honest. There's four of us (two adults, 3yo & 6wo) and if our bin is over a 1/4 full most weeks it's unusual. We have a black general waste (emptied weekly), a green recycling (paper,card,plastics,metals - monthly) and a brown (garden waste - fortnightly). We fill the green bin each month, and don't use the brown (except for storing logs for the chimnea).

The answer is to simply stop producing so much waste. If we can do it, so can you all. We buy fresh meat from the butchers, so there's just the flimsiest of plastic bags there. Fresh veg, so again, just flimsy bags, and most other packaging is recyclable. If it weren't for nappies, we could potentially go nearly two months at a push.
Old 19 February 2011, 12:41 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Dont your bins stink in the summer with used nappies in there for 2 weeks!

i dont know why councils are involved in bins anymore it is all done by private companies now anyway, why cant i pay them direct and stop the council skimming off a percentage as the middle man!

The main reason getting rid of rubbish is so expensive is the EU Taxes on land fill if they were got rid off we could have an idea of the real cost of waste disposal

Quick Reply: Anyone else angered by their council change to refuse collection?