Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Capri - Anyone been?

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2011, 06:18 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Capri - Anyone been?

Looking for hotel recommendations from anyone who has been.
Late July / Early August. 3 Nights (Probably over a weekend)
Budget for hotel up to £600 ish

Anyone been?

Would you go back? What's it like for night life / restaurants etc?

~Cheers in Advance

Mark
Old 25 May 2011, 07:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

We stayed in a Best Western (can't remember the name and the missus isn't to hand) in Sorrento. Took the ferry across to Capri and enjoyed our day; great views and scenery and plenty of history to enjoy - the chairlift's cool. If you have time you can get to Vecuvius, Pompei and Naples in a day and an evening if you're smart and the trains are regular and on time - everything else is a shambles. Well worth a trip along the Amalfi Coast and the beautiful towns dotted along it. Glorious. We spent most of our evenings in restaurants and there are plenty to choose from. The pizza's the best I've tasted (brick oven Neopolitan, with sausage and gorganzola) and the local tomato, orange, lemon and olives are superb owing to the mineral-rich volcanic soil. And the wine...oh, the wine. No help at all, I know, but it's nice to reminisce. Trip advisor's always a good source for hotels - consider staying in Sorrento and day-tripping Capri.

Eta. It ain't cheap, IIRC and I think we got a better deal by calling the hotels direct and haggling a bit. I'll edit this with the hotel when I get home. The better half actually has a long-term memory.

Last edited by JTaylor; 25 May 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 25 May 2011, 08:12 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Positano also lovely and on Amalfi coast. A short boat trip will get you to Capri. I would only visit Capri for a day trip as it's quite expensive.
Old 25 May 2011, 08:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

This one? would love to but out of my league.

Old 25 May 2011, 08:32 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

As said, a day trip to Capri is probably enough and it is expensive. Go up the mountain railway while your there.
Old 25 May 2011, 08:59 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Positano also lovely and on Amalfi coast. A short boat trip will get you to Capri. I would only visit Capri for a day trip as it's quite expensive.
Yes, and Ravello. We hired a taxi with another couple to take us along the coast - about £100 between us, I think. The Alfa Romeo owners club were out for the day - about 50 strong and in amongst them was the sweetest of the lot; an Austin Healy 3000 in two-tone blue. We got back in the evening to find it parked-up outside our digs.

We stayed here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R..._Campania.html

It was very pleasant although we didn't see much of it. Great service, views, nice pool, immaculate and the one night we did eat there was top notch. I think it was £300 per night. In hindsight we could've gone for something a bit cheaper given that we were out all of the time. The views from the top of Mt. Vesuvios are breathtaking and it's rather eerie with the thin smoke wafting out you're above the clouds so, with the right light, you can capture some spectacular shots of Naples. I imagine if I had three days I'd go to Pompeii and Vesuvius; along the Imalfi coast and its towns and spend a day on Capri.
Old 25 May 2011, 11:02 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Yes Ravello is lovely too and if I was get married abroad, that would be my first choice of venue..

You should hire a car and experience the Amalfi coast day and night. The views are amazing. The best bit is between Sorrento and Positano. From Positano towards Amalfi it gets a bit busy, but still fun.
Old 25 May 2011, 11:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Yes Ravello is lovely too and if I was get married abroad, that would be my first choice of venue..

You should hire a car and experience the Amalfi coast day and night. The views are amazing. The best bit is between Sorrento and Positano. From Positano towards Amalfi it gets a bit busy, but still fun.
We saw a couple having their marriage shots outside of a church in Sorrento. Much to the embarrassment of the other half I took couple of photos - gorgeous Italian bride, dashing groom, sunset, Naples in the background - you get the picture. They're on the hardrive of my PC which is out of action at the moment, otherwise I'd post them. I'll put them up here and PM you the link when it's back up and running. I imagine it'd cost a bomb!
Old 25 May 2011, 11:23 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing that..
I'm always amazed that the locals wear suits in the boiling weather and don't appear to sweat.. Whilst us tourists look-on glistening in our skimpys!
Old 25 May 2011, 11:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing that..
I'm always amazed that the locals wear suits in the boiling weather and don't appear to sweat.. Whilst us tourists look-on glistening in our skimpys!
I've never felt so uncool in my life! The women wear those Bono sunglasses without looking silly and the blokes manage to chain-smoke sophisticatedly.