Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road / Racing / Triathlon bike advice

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2011, 12:13 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road / Racing / Triathlon bike advice

For all that have knowledge in this field!

So im about to embark on my first Triathlon, trainings pretty much in the bag but im in need of a road bike. Currently have a heavy old mountain bike with non - nobbly tyres - not ideal for speed!

I have had a ride on a Giant Defy 3 and it all seemed fine, though i have never ridden a road bike previously i dont have much to compare it to!

I would like to start off by getting, a good second hand road bike for under £300. I have seen locally to me a Giant SCR 3 for about £200... is this any good?

Can anyone suggest/point me towards alternatives?

Im also just over 5' 10 and that SCR was a large, is that going to be too big?

I clearly need help, any would be appreciated!
Old 26 May 2011, 12:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 6 ft and have a large Spec Allez Elite, probably not in your budget but you will find a secondhand one from lower in the range at that kind of money.

What you want is one that fits, insist on a decent test ride and also try and get one that has hardly been used, mine gets commuted on every day and looks pristine but is due two tyres and a full new drivetrain, probably £150's worth, so that cheap £200 bike wouldnt seem so cheap if it needed all that work, you want one bought with good intentions and now the owner is looking to dispose to avoid having it remind him of its existence every time he goes in the garage.

Any of the main brands are fine, Carerra do a few Road Bikes, also ok, basically you are looking at low end but happily low end stuff now is better and lighter than a lot of expensive stuff used to be, all nicely made alloy frames and reasonable components.

Avoid like the plaugue £150 Ebay road bikes.
Old 26 May 2011, 12:24 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The SCR 3 is okay - you'll need the 55.5cm frame for your height.

You will never get a good bike for that much money, just an okay one (and that one is fine)

The problem with 2nd hand is: you have to hope the previous owner looked after it. You'll need time to strip / clean and lube (the bike!!! ) before you can be sure of everything

do you have the clothing for the road section?

I'd interested to know how you've trained for the road section without a road bike... the geometry is VERY different to an MTB and you'll need to get used to the drops
Old 26 May 2011, 12:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Also, the geometary varies massively on Roadbikes, my Allez is a sort of in between set up, some are really twitchy, my brother in law has a Dave Hinde and its horrible to ride, really nervous and doesnt inspire confidence.

You will need some clothing as well, plus some SPD type shoes.

Can you borrow a bike of someone ?
Old 26 May 2011, 12:42 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

My Club apparently has some old bikes, but im pretty keen to get going on my own one as from what i have heard they are pretty ropey.

In terms of the training, i know what your getting at Kieran, fortunately its my first event and it still 5 weeks away, i thought it would be better to do something on a mountain bike than nothing! So hopefully there will be some crossover on the muscle groups used.

Clothing wise, i'll be wearing my swimmers with some shorts over the top and a vest i reckon! Probably lube myself up with a bit of vas!

Its only a 25k ride as its a sprint event, but i do commute in the summer about 25 miles a day on a bike so whatever i purchase would get fair use.

I just dont want to buy a brand new £600 - £800 bike when i know that they probably wont be much better than year old ones, ultimately if i like the event i would be looking for a far better bike.
Old 26 May 2011, 12:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Can you get the Cycle to Work schem where you work, it enabled me to get a decent bike (now two) past the "procurator fiscal" at home as it was cheaper and you pay monthly, started out on a Cannondale hybrid which was ok but the Spec Allez I love to bits, costs me about £27 a month, which I save in petrol and other car costs anyway.

Will use the same muscle groups, just at different angles, shouldnt be that much of a leap but you should be really quick on a Road Bike if you have been on a hefty MTB doing 25 miles a day.
Old 26 May 2011, 01:12 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

I will look at this cycle to work scheme, because your right a monthly payment to 'offset' fuel in return for a decent new and fitted bike would be fantastic.

I hope to be reasonably fast, train as the Romans did!
Old 26 May 2011, 01:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im doing the same in August (training is not in the bag ) , iv got my 10 year old road bike which iv rarly used Look 241 / centuar /cosmic elite - this would probably go for that sort of money now ( 850 origianlly ), which i think im going to use

I have actually seen sub 400 quid tri geometry bikes on ebay , new , dont know what they are like - but if your getting into it i guess youve immediately got an advantage over anybody on a roadbike ...
Old 29 May 2011, 09:48 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A mate's got a Bianchi for sale at £300 if you want me to put you in touch with him