Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Quick phone help please

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2011, 03:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick phone help please

Currently have a Samsung Tocco Ultra, with Orange.

Contract runs out in a couple of weeks.

What would you chose out of

HTC Desire S - Android system
Iphone 4.

What are the main differences with Android & Iphone operating systems?

Know little about either, so any info wil be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 05 July 2011, 03:09 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends what you want your phone to do. Most of the previous Iphone cameras have been crap for example, but the iphone 4 probably pips the htc camera wise.

Personally though I'd go for the htc, or if you can the samsung galaxy s2
Old 05 July 2011, 04:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Are you having a laugh?
There must be about 100 threads dedicated to this topic! Has your search button broken?

I have the HTC Desire S and it really has impressed me.
With most new bit's of tech, I get all excited and then when it arrives, I am left dissappointed.

The Desire S just does everything brilliantly. And it is a damn site cheaper than the I-Phone, which, personally, I just see as a fashion accessary.

If you are hooked up with I-Tunes already then I guess you will have to get the Iphone to be able to play your existing music collection on it. If not, be different and get a HTC.

Last edited by Gear Head; 05 July 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05 July 2011, 04:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

HTC all the way if those are the only options. Wouldn't touch iphones purely from the locked into point of view as unless you jailbreak it you can only do what they let you ;-)
Old 05 July 2011, 04:55 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

Galaxy s 2 if carling made phones!
Old 05 July 2011, 04:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Nokia 8210!
Old 05 July 2011, 05:36 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

What about the htc sensation? New one with dual core processor etc.

After having iPhones since launch I ordered the new htc sensation the day of release on o2 a couple of weeks back.

It's quite nice but I made the call to return it last night and will be keeping my 3GS over it. It's got a few better points than the iPhone (camera, dual core, larger cache for browsing net) but I found it two steps to do everything compared to the iPhone.

It's my first day back with my old iPhone today and I'm so glad. Trouble with all these other replicas (and we're talking even down to same style box with the little paper envelope etc) is they make them too fussy. Some things aren't where you'd expect them to be, ie let's change our text message tone on the htc.. Right.. Settings.. Ah, sounds (cool) err..not there! Why?!! Just silly things like that every where you turn. On the net, want to view favorites, iPhone.. On safari browsing, one touch of favorites and choose away. Htc.. Press 'virtual' key, look at sub menu, select favorites, then view them. It's all unnecessary guff.

Also, I had errors and even had to do a restart on day 2 because of camera malfunction. Don't even get me started on battery life. A day if you're lucky on the htc!

My iPhone is a tough old bird too, I've lost count how many times I've dropped it in 2 years (even out of lorry cabs) and it's survived. I don't ever run a case/cover/screen protector. My apprentice has smashed his htc screen more than once from waist height drops. My bro-in-law also broke his htc screen from dropping it out his van the first time he dropped it without a cover on!

Oh and forget trying to use the htc outside, can't see anything.

I just wish the iPhone didn't have this limited size cache for browsing, it's stupid!

Last edited by jameswrx; 05 July 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05 July 2011, 05:56 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
let's change our text message tone on the htc.. Right.. Settings.. Ah, sounds (cool) err..not there! Why?!! Just silly things like that every where you turn. On the net, want to view favorites, iPhone.. On safari browsing, one touch of favorites and choose away. Htc.. Press 'virtual' key, look at sub menu, select favorites, then view them. It's all unnecessary guff.

Also, I had errors and even had to do a restart on day 2 because of camera malfunction. Don't even get me started on battery life. A day if you're lucky on the htc!

My iPhone is a tough old bird too, I've lost count how many times I've dropped it in 2 years (even out of lorry cabs) and it's survived. I don't ever run a case/cover/screen protector. My apprentice has smashed his htc screen more than once from waist height drops. My bro-in-law also broke his htc screen from dropping it out his van the first time he dropped it without a cover on!

Oh and forget trying to use the htc outside, can't see anything.

I just wish the iPhone didn't have this limited size cache for browsing, it's stupid!
on my HTC Desire while browsing I just tap menu and select favourites and to change the notification tone select settings->Sounds and change notification (can you even change the tones on the iphone as I can not change them on my ipad!)

Considering the results on this page http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iph...w=1280&bih=604 I would imagine that you have been lucky with you iphone 3 not breaking if you drop it often, i thought the HTC sensation had Gorilla glass which made the screen difficult to break?
Old 05 July 2011, 06:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I must be lucky then, and my mrs and mates that have them. Just as well I got my euro millions ticket for tonight.

Seriously though mine has taken a right beating, I don't personally know anyone who's broken the screen on an iPhone but I know 2 people who've broken there htc screens. And considering the amount of people I know with iPhones its suprising to me if they're supposed to be fragile.

I really want to find something else better to be honest because apple does some right pi55 takes. For example I'd never buy an iPhone 4 on principle, the reply from steve jobs pretty much saying "just deal with it" in regards to the loss of reception when holding the phone is laughable really.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:34 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Glass front and backs on the iphone 4 plus the price puts me off everytime i have to recommend them to someone. A phone thats still over a year old that is falling behind on hardware specs and still costs more, looks like an expensive way of being in the crowd nowadays.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:36 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
plus the price puts me off everytime i have to recommend them to someone. .
How so? £35 a month isn't too bad.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:49 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
How so? £35 a month isn't too bad.
Which networks that, i know 3 offer it at that price but you pay £69 for the phone through the place i work at, o2 want £62 to get it free.

The HTC Sensation is free at £35 a month which is a brand new phone on the market, also one of the quickest and i think its one of the best looking of the big smartphones i've seen.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

For example I'd never buy an iPhone 4 on principle, the reply from steve jobs pretty much saying "just deal with it" in regards to the loss of reception when holding the phone is laughable really.
I've never suffered a loss of reception on my 4. I can only say, having the 3 here too, that the 4 makes the 3 feel like 1980s technology and the 3 isn't bad.

Those calling the 4 merely a fashion item are usually those that haven't got style. Mine fits neatly in my shellsuit pocket.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:58 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
I've never suffered a loss of reception on my 4. I can only say, having the 3 here too, that the 4 makes the 3 feel like 1980s technology and the 3 isn't bad.

Those calling the 4 merely a fashion item are usually those that haven't got style. Mine fits neatly in my shellsuit pocket.
I know it's not really a problem but there is a fault when you hold it a certain way (which I've tried personally) It's more the principle of the way apple dealt with it IMO.

I have used the 4 and wouldn't say it makes the 3GS seem 80's at all, it's better but certainly not amazingly so.. Not enough to justify paying a premium for it now, I hope the iPhone 5 will be for me. Rumored to have metal back and dual core.
Old 05 July 2011, 08:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I know it's not really a problem but there is a fault when you hold it a certain way (which I've tried personally) It's more the principle of the way apple dealt with it IMO.

I have used the 4 and wouldn't say it makes the 3GS seem 80's at all, it's better but certainly not amazingly so.. Not enough to justify paying a premium for it now, I hope the iPhone 5 will be for me. Rumored to have metal back and dual core.
I hold it my hands, it works. If you let principles determine choice you'd stand still. Owning, not trying a 4 makes the 3 feel old.