Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Help the horn of Africa population

or just hide behind the usual excuses ?
Old 05 July 2011, 06:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** africa.
It's been what, 25 years since live aid and what's happened to solve the problems of the worlds poor? Nothing. All the aid, benefits, telethons and charity has created a continent of takers. and nothing, not one damn thing seems to have done any good.

Africa is, has and will always be a continent of chaos pain death an misery. I'm not donating anything to it as nothing seems to help.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:00 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

The vast amount of money sent over is stolen, those fat cat greedy scam artist. Make me sick at the thought of these scumbags stealing my hard earned money. **** them all i say.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the first live aid the population of Ethiopia has doubled. How can that be if they are starving?
Old 05 July 2011, 07:16 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that there are parts of this planet that aren't suitable for sustaining life and when external agents attempt to make it so they are, whilst well intentioned, inadvertently perpetuating what is ultimately futile. An animal existence of birth, survival and death. We can ease our conscience and prolong the agony if we choose, but it will not be an act of mercy.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:49 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Yes the African governments all appear to be feckless, inept and corrupt, preferring to line their own pockets and to have wars rather than helping their people.

However, you are born where you are born and I remind my children of that whenever something like this happens.

Steve
Old 05 July 2011, 08:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

isn't africa the most resource rich continent on the planet, very capable of supporting life
Old 05 July 2011, 08:22 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
isn't africa the most resource rich continent on the planet, very capable of supporting life
It's quite big.
Old 05 July 2011, 08:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Even Sir Bob couldnt change the world !

Giving U2 a leg up however , unforgiveable
Old 05 July 2011, 11:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Natures way of saying slow down?
Old 06 July 2011, 12:02 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
or just hide behind the usual excuses ?
Yes it's the usual excuses.

The problem I have is that I am one of these tree hugging leftie greenies who would rather we spent a few million to save some kids lives than spend it fighting a war in Afghanistan that we should never have got into in the first place and will never win, just as an example.

And yes I am familiar with ALL the arguments about natural selection, over population, lack of birth control etc etc etc.

But those who say "sod them it's all their fault we have enough problems of our own" conveniently forget that it was us good old whities that ripped the place off for many years and didn't invest anything really in education or practical technology transfer. And it's Western banks that facilitate the corruption and now it's China's turn to rape the land.

The current crisis springs from it being the worst drought in 60 years so one can hardly blame the locals for getting into a mess this time.

But the West does waste so much money and is almost asking for funds to be spirited away by some bent ruler. And it needn't be like that. Just needs some proper planning and determination.

But who cares about some poor little black mite with flies in his eyes when we need to save up for Trident and pay benefits for the no-work-bad-back generation to get a bigger plasma eh

Naive? May be but there for the grace of.....

d
Old 06 July 2011, 07:46 AM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

But those who say "sod them it's all their fault we have enough problems of our own" conveniently forget that it was us good old whities that ripped the place off for many years and didn't invest anything really in education or practical technology transfer.
Apart from a short period during the second world war, ethiopia has never been colonized.
Old 06 July 2011, 07:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

The problem I have is that I am one of these tree hugging leftie greenies who would rather we spent a few million to save some kids lives than spend it fighting a war in Afghanistan that we should never have got into in the first place and will never win, just as an example.
Africa keeps our weapons industry in business too, most of these African countries "defence" budgets are huge compared to the economy
Old 06 July 2011, 08:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neoscooby
Apart from a short period during the second world war, ethiopia has never been colonized.
Its mainly those no good Somalia people here tho isnt it , the 99% of th population that arnt shooting each other with ak47's or holding up ships
Old 06 July 2011, 08:26 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

nothing a shipload of condoms woundnt cure..... they all seem content to have lots of children that they cant feed, thats the biggest prob imo.
Old 06 July 2011, 08:31 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astraboy
**** africa.
It's been what, 25 years since live aid and what's happened to solve the problems of the worlds poor? Nothing. All the aid, benefits, telethons and charity has created a continent of takers. and nothing, not one damn thing seems to have done any good.

Africa is, has and will always be a continent of chaos pain death an misery. I'm not donating anything to it as nothing seems to help.
Having spent approx 4 months working there, I witnessed at first hand the corruption within the authorities.

I'm sorry, but this new plan of incentivising education is simply throwing good money after bad.
All our budgets are being cut, however our glorious government want to increase it yet again.

I say right now, look after our own and later if we have spare cash, then we can think about helping others.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:04 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by borderlinechris
nothing a shipload of condoms woundnt cure..... they all seem content to have lots of children that they cant feed, thats the biggest prob imo.
The majority of those starving are subsistence farmers.

You need children to work the land, tend the animals etc.

If you don't have children you starve.

Many of your children die before they are 5 so you must have a big family.

If you have a big family when the crops fail you choose which of your children die.

It's a tragic viscous circle.

Steve
Old 06 July 2011, 09:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borderlinechris
When I worked for a Gov't agency I sent out about a $1m worth of condoms and pregnancy testing kits to West Africa. The condoms were European spec and returned because they weren't big enough and the pregnancy kits, which had to be kept cool during transport and storage, were left in the local airport hot storage area and completely ruined

The Catholic church also has a lot to answer for regarding use of condoms IMHO.

dl
Old 06 July 2011, 09:16 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

dl
Hit the nail on the head there

The AIDS epidemic over there is pretty much uncontrollable now
Old 06 July 2011, 09:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I always thought that was a myth , you live an learn
Old 06 July 2011, 09:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Hit the nail on the head there

The AIDS epidemic over there is pretty much uncontrollable now
Yup Catholic church is great at getting their flock (sheep) to have as many kids as possible to perpetuate the religion yet seems not to care if they can afford to feed and cloth the kids or if they have access to medical care. It's more about numbers that it is about humanity.

and one offshoot of their lack of understanding or willingness to recognise that times have moved on sine the middle-ages is AID's which could be prevented in many cases by the use of condoms. That and the 'locals' keeping it in their pants, you do not need a good education to understand that AIDS kills and sex is the most common way to transmit it!
Old 06 July 2011, 09:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

True, but also its the criminal amounts of money the drugs companies want to charge on anti-virals fro the continent which means a whole generation has gone/useless in some places
Old 06 July 2011, 10:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
True, but also its the criminal amounts of money the drugs companies want to charge on anti-virals fro the continent which means a whole generation has gone/useless in some places
Well in which case stop ******** around and and risk catching the disease in the first place, use a condom. It may well be too late for a lot who already have it but it does not mean they have to continue! It seems Africans as a whole never look to the future and just live in the now. How can you help people like that - they need to change!

It seems that no one in Africa is ever willing to take responsibility and always keen to blame everyone but themselves....

Last edited by The Zohan; 06 July 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06 July 2011, 10:44 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

When I worked for a Gov't agency I sent out about a $1m worth of condoms and pregnancy testing kits to West Africa. The condoms were European spec and returned because they weren't big enough and the pregnancy kits, which had to be kept cool during transport and storage, were left in the local airport hot storage area and completely ruined

dl
LOL so presumably all the condoms had been tried on for size and found too big for any Africans?

What crap.

More like someone had just left them in a big shed along with the pregnancy kits and couldn't be bothered with them.

Fact is for loads of Africans a condom is not very manly and they don't like them.

Also in SA there is a political issue with HIV/AIDS, you had a SA president a few years ago even deny the link. Some extremists even blame whites for it all.

But it's all the Catholic churches fault of course?
Old 06 July 2011, 10:51 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Asked about foreign aid to Africa.....

Ed Miliband said "These strikes were wrong at a time when negotiations were still going on"
Old 06 July 2011, 10:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Asked about foreign aid to Africa.....

Ed Miliband said "These strikes were wrong at a time when negotiations were still going on"
When asked about his brothers affair with his wife he was quoted as saying "These strikes were wrong at a time when negotiations were still going on"
Old 06 July 2011, 11:01 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

But those who say "sod them it's all their fault we have enough problems of our own" conveniently forget that it was us good old whities that ripped the place off for many years and didn't invest anything really in education or practical technology transfer.
d
Right because before euro imperialism it was some sort of utopia right?

If you are against euro interference etc....pro-nativism etc then you should be against euro intervention to feed the locals too.

Or are you saying that Africans cannot look after themselves? That's what the Empire builders thought....they said treat the blacks like children and here Euro lefties do the same with instructions on how to use condoms, how to do this and that, how to grow crops blah blah.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

TDW, I really don't think you have a clue.........

dl
Old 06 July 2011, 01:03 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Primary health care. Africans have always had large numbers of children due to the high infant mortality rate. Since the Europeans introduced primary health care more of these children have been living. Hence the population explosion. And if trends continue this island of 60 million people will be sending aid to feed a continent of 2 billion by 2050.
Old 06 July 2011, 01:07 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

TDW, I really don't think you have a clue.........

dl
It's taken you this look to work that out

Quick Reply: Help the horn of Africa population