Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Leaving the iPhone fold, which HTC?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2011, 09:09 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving the iPhone fold, which HTC?

Its contract renewal day tomorrow and I'm going to leave the iPhone behind. I've currently got a 3g and its getting sluggish and having a 4 for work, its not worth the money on upgrade for me, and I think the 5 is going to be so expensive given whats happened.

So I'm going android, so which HTC is best? Sensations out as o2 want £250 on the contracts I'm looking at. That leaves things like the HD or Desire S or Wildfire S.

The apps I use are available for android so I'm not going to loose out on functionality. 1 criteria is that it must do at least 720p video.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:13 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I've got an HTC Desire HD and it does all I want it to very well. Internet wise it pisses all over the iphone.

Chip
Old 06 July 2011, 09:15 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Me and Wifey both have the desire HD...... Brilliant phone.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:16 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

I got a Galaxy s2 excellent rapid phone, might be of interest to you. (similar spec to sensation)
Old 06 July 2011, 09:21 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can cope with the Vodafone network, talkmobile are doing the Desire S for £18/month over 24 months for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb data - no upfront costs or redemptions.
Or you could do what I did and use the talkmobile deal as a bartering lever with your current provider I got a Galaxy S as I like the bigger screen.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:23 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Desire HD for me,love it
Old 06 July 2011, 09:27 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/robsyuk use this link. sign up with o2 and get £100 cash back..

I have the HTC HD7 after having the Iphone and although I love it for the xbox bits its still new so it doesn't have the apps or market place like the Iphone.

The sun effects it worse then the Iphone but it was far cheaper and the screen is big which is fantastic for ****.

Will I go back to Iphone - probably not..
Old 06 July 2011, 10:27 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default I phoney?

Amazed at the salesmanship of the whole i thing, in reality they sell what is not the latest technology, most of the time to an adoring unquestioning fan base.
So back to the large screen touch phones from HTC. I bought a HD2 when it came out, looked great, but soon i found a couple of problems. One pants battery life, not even a working day with normal use and more worryingly it started randomly picking new recipients for the texts when you sent them!
So I got a Dell Streak and the HD2 got the cold shoulder. Then this year the forums started with Android conversions of the sad windows operating system. I had it converted to Android 2.3 and it is a great phone.
As HTC refused to upgrade the operating system on the HD2, amazingly...a new phone appeared.the HTC Desire HD! strange coincidence, but still on Android 2.2 so if you want a bit of fun Ebay a HD2 and then for 20 pounds another ebayer will convert it to Android 2.3 a tenner buys a gold 2430mA battery that fits with the standard back.
4.3" screen 3 day battery life and you have something unique in a sea of not quite there phones!
Old 06 July 2011, 10:58 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Ive got a hd2 with android on it & the gold battery for sale, pm me if interested.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:07 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon C
Its contract renewal day tomorrow and I'm going to leave the iPhone behind. I've currently got a 3g and its getting sluggish and having a 4 for work, its not worth the money on upgrade for me, and I think the 5 is going to be so expensive given whats happened.

So I'm going android, so which HTC is best? Sensations out as o2 want £250 on the contracts I'm looking at. That leaves things like the HD or Desire S or Wildfire S.

The apps I use are available for android so I'm not going to loose out on functionality. 1 criteria is that it must do at least 720p video.
I did exactly this recently..

Fed up with apple etc, got HTC's flagship sensation, dual core hd video, 8mp camera, etc etc..

It also came with laughable battery life, over fussy frustrating menus, a screen you can hardly see outside, faults requiring resets and apps/widgets running by the dozen on their own requiring an app to constantly shut them down!

It goes back tomorrow in the envelope o2 kindly sent me today

It's funny I was just watching the new OS update video for iphones on the apple site and there's features the htc already had (isn't there always I hear you cry) but I just know they'll work sooo much better and smoother.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Desire HD, very pleased with it, though would go for the Sensation now.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:09 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

galaxy s2 and lovin it. super quick
Old 06 July 2011, 11:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
galaxy s2 and lovin it. super quick
Just got one at work and it is indeed a very sexy looking device, so light as well, not had a go yet but will grab it tomorrow for a fiddle.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:24 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I have an HTC Desire and both my daughters have the HTC Desire HD. All three are POS that are riddled with faults. Mine is one of the very first on the market and came with 2.1, since the 2.2 update has started with so many little faults that HTC are aware of and have done nothing about.
I'm looking at something else when mines ready for renewal.
Old 06 July 2011, 11:30 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

2.3.3 on s2..
Old 06 July 2011, 11:33 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Buggy

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
I have an HTC Desire and both my daughters have the HTC Desire HD. All three are POS that are riddled with faults. Mine is one of the very first on the market and came with 2.1, since the 2.2 update has started with so many little faults that HTC are aware of and have done nothing about.
I'm looking at something else when mines ready for renewal.
The 1 GHz processor and screen is the good bit, the Android 2.3 is a step forward from where HTC fall short.
The product support from HTC looked good, but several fixes on software seemed to create new issues in fixing the old ones.
Very happy to go down a size from the 5" Dell Streak tablet phone, even dabbled with a 7" screen Lenovo (Viewsonic in reality) gread for comedic value when you took a call on it!
Old 06 July 2011, 11:43 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slugmeister
The 1 GHz processor and screen is the good bit, the Android 2.3 is a step forward from where HTC fall short.
The product support from HTC looked good, but several fixes on software seemed to create new issues in fixing the old ones.
Very happy to go down a size from the 5" Dell Streak tablet phone, even dabbled with a 7" screen Lenovo (Viewsonic in reality) gread for comedic value when you took a call on it!
oh yes, the screen is useless outside during daylight. My neice just got an iPhone and although I doubt I would go that route, the screen is far superior.
Old 07 July 2011, 12:02 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Strange object in the sky?

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
oh yes, the screen is useless outside during daylight. My neice just got an iPhone and although I doubt I would go that route, the screen is far superior.
Living in Scotland, we do not have a problem with too much light!
Old 07 July 2011, 12:06 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default If it is so good?

I phone 5 in September, so good it needs replacing?
Old 07 July 2011, 01:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

You can either get a Wildfire (the cheap option) or get a Wildfire and burn a crisp new fiver every other day, which is the same as getting a Desire or iPhone 4, The Wildfire is stable, clunky, a bit slow, but when it is working slowly all the time, it kicks the **** out of OH's iPhone 4 and Desire HD which work really well some of the time and not at all most of the time. I haven't reset my paupers Wildfire since January. She hasn't reset either of her phones since at least tea-time
Old 07 July 2011, 01:43 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Depending on budget. If it has to be HTC, then Sensation is the flagship phone. Then i'd get a Desire S, Incredible S, Wildfire S. Desire HD is quite old now, as is the original Desire, which i have.

Galaxy S2 is to rival the sensation. It's rumoured there's a SGS2+ out soon.
Old 07 July 2011, 07:33 AM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Slowing down

Originally Posted by fast bloke
You can either get a Wildfire (the cheap option) or get a Wildfire and burn a crisp new fiver every other day, which is the same as getting a Desire or iPhone 4, The Wildfire is stable, clunky, a bit slow, but when it is working slowly all the time, it kicks the **** out of OH's iPhone 4 and Desire HD which work really well some of the time and not at all most of the time. I haven't reset my paupers Wildfire since January. She hasn't reset either of her phones since at least tea-time
Strange phenomina, both my young adults had a Wildfire, one still uses it, the other moaning minnie was having slow phone olympics with her mates at school. Then I got her a Samsung Omnia Pro B7350. A windows Blackberry type phone.
If you go for the Wildfire you need to download a task killer from Google market. That stops it running out of resources and going slower! Otherwise a great small smartish phone.
Old 07 July 2011, 07:58 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

No bugs on my HTC Desire S. Love it.
Old 07 July 2011, 08:07 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Cheeky RobSyUK :P

Can also use quidco http://www.quidco.com/user/375138/ (AheM :P) to get decent cash back, i got 120quid for a years sim only contract for my nexus one

the Desire HD is a very goodphone, but so many good ones about now
the galaxy S2 is very good and quick from what ive seen of it (friend at work has one)

but im waiting out for the code named Nexus Prime, which will be a pure android phone likely to be the new google dev phone
Old 07 July 2011, 08:08 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2011/07/04...ate-and-specs/
Old 07 July 2011, 08:45 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

iPhone 4 is a great phone, mine is jailbroken to get the most out of it but even so I still like Android. Having used both for some time I still think iOS is the better platform. It's more stable, more apps & easier to navigate. Android is very good but the fact you need a task killer to stop your battery from dying half way through the day puts mr off buying one. Two of my colleagues both own the HD & both constantly complain about the battery life, especially afer the last update.

Try both & see what you think!
Old 07 July 2011, 08:49 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ive been reading that the whole app killer thing is aload of rubbish, dont need one etc

i've not been using it for a while now and not noticed any difference

i do agree the droid has a few niggles still compared to IOS, but theres a hell of alot of different hardware floating about for it to work on, guess its quite like the windows v mac stuff
still prefer a pure android experience compared to any of the sense etc addons
Old 07 July 2011, 08:52 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slugmeister
Living in Scotland, we do not have a problem with too much light!

Nor here in Wales, more likely to need an umbrella than a sunshade

Chip

Quick Reply: Leaving the iPhone fold, which HTC?