What a douchebag

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2011, 12:38 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a douchebag

Thread = pointless rant

Some people just amaze me! We have been renting our current place for a year and a half and have been the model tenants in that time. Never a problem with rent, never a complaint, and the house is immaculate. In fact, we have improved it in many areas - especially the garden. During an inspection the other week the letting lassie was laughing at how pointless it was to even look round the house after she saw the first few rooms.

So, today she phones up to say the landlord has requested that we go and sign a new lease (still 2 months till it is due). We said, that we have no intention to move but would prefer just to run on a rolling 2-months notice basis rather than always signing up to a new lease. In all likelihood we would be here for a few years yet - we just want to keep our options open.

His response to the letting girl when told this was...."If they don't sign a new lease serve them their 2 months notice and get them out!"

WTF!!!!

I think the thing that angers me most is that most landlords out there dream of having tenants like us and yet this guy obviously has no idea what side his bread is buttered on. I really hope that when we do move out he ends up with the tenants from hell. Of course, ********* like that never have anything go wrong in their life
Old 07 July 2011, 12:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

**** him mate, plenty to rent out there. i'm guessing he thinks decent tenants are easy to find.

which judging by the conversations i've had with my LL they never ever have been lol
Old 07 July 2011, 12:44 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Good tenants ARE HARD to come by, I have been lucky and had the same tenant now since '01. To be fair, she pays pretty much half the going rate, but my mortgage is being paid and the house is being looked after.
Old 07 July 2011, 12:46 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I sooooo badly want to just "fvck him" as you say. But with all the upheaval and hassle it really would be cutting of my nose to spite my face.

All I will say is that I hope and pray there comes a time in my life where everything is so hunky-dory that I can make decisions like the one he is making without fear of the potential downside!
Old 07 July 2011, 12:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Idiot LL.
Old 07 July 2011, 12:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SB, you need to try and speak to him direct, the message may have altered in translation, you need to explain your position and highlight the fact you are model tenants, the lettings company may have an agenda, say to get you out and get someone else in where they get a bigger cut, dont assume what she says is true as they are basically estate agents and lying comes very easily to them. Of course it may be the landlord who has 300 properties and you are but one, bad ones may well be dealt with by a "visit" to re-allign their attitudes
and whether you treat it with respect makes no odds as he just sends in the decorators anyway.
Old 07 July 2011, 01:16 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
SB, you need to try and speak to him direct, the message may have altered in translation, you need to explain your position and highlight the fact you are model tenants, the lettings company may have an agenda, say to get you out and get someone else in where they get a bigger cut, dont assume what she says is true as they are basically estate agents and lying comes very easily to them. Of course it may be the landlord who has 300 properties and you are but one, bad ones may well be dealt with by a "visit" to re-allign their attitudes
and whether you treat it with respect makes no odds as he just sends in the decorators anyway.
The guy lives round the corner for 6 months of the year and Spain the rest of the time. I'm pretty sure this is the only property he rents out (he bought it then moved to one of the 5-bed/2 garage houses in the estate). He's in Spain just now and I guess he just wants the security of a signed up lease. Pretty confident this is coming from him as I have spoken to him a few times and he is a strange character.

He's one of those few people in life that you meet where you quickly get the sense that the biggest problem they have ever faced in life was how to cope with a blister they got from walking when they were 8.
Old 07 July 2011, 01:36 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he's in the financial do do and needs the guaranteed income/security of a long term tenent not someone "keeping their options open"

5t.
Old 07 July 2011, 01:49 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Perhaps he's in the financial do do and needs the guaranteed income/security of a long term tenent not someone "keeping their options open"

5t.
Yup, that was my initial thoughts
Old 07 July 2011, 02:11 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I guess I could better understand that if this was the first time round...but we've been here a year and a half (6 months, then 1y lease) and all the evidence (including our own statement at he very start) is that we are long term.

Besides, even if/when we do leave we have to give 2 months notice giving the letting company plenty of time to find someone else. If it was me I'd rather stick with a good tenant who seems to be long term minded than risking going through 2-3 tenants over a 2 year period 6 months at a time with potential income gaps in-between.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why he wants a new lease. Obviously, he has greater security when we are tied in for another 6 months. But sometimes in life it's in your own interests to accept a reduced position if it is likely to work out better for you overall.
Old 07 July 2011, 02:12 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

fwiw, left to our own devices I'd be surprised if we left here any time in the next 2 years. I'd just prefer not to muck around signing a new lease every 6 months and not to have the 2 month option available to us if circumstances change. Remember, I do not have what you would call the most stable of income streams!
Old 07 July 2011, 02:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he needs to show your contract as a sign of guaranteed income for a bank loan or mortgage application ?
Old 07 July 2011, 03:13 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

If I were your landlord I would also want this, However if you were a model tenant I would also offer an incentive to sign a new one with a small reduction in rent, not much but something as a token.
Old 07 July 2011, 06:52 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Perhaps he needs to show your contract as a sign of guaranteed income for a bank loan or mortgage application ?

^^ This..

I would, and have done the same as the LL.

If the guy lives in Spain half the time, he wants to know that he has his rental income to pay for any mortgage if here is one.

Everytime a new lease is signed there is normally a fee charged by the letting agent, I wouldn't want to be paying that every two months.
Old 07 July 2011, 07:18 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

also it makes the place easier to sell if you have a decent length tennant agreement in place? im guessing
Old 07 July 2011, 08:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last landlady was a bit odd at times, took me to move out for her to rectify the problems I had with the house even though I was a very good and dependable tenant. Some just don't know how good they are getting it!

I left a set of tyres at my old gaff as per the agreement with my old landlady that I'd pick them up once she needed them removed for reletting the place. Got a text from her on sunday saying she binned them! 2 brand new pirelli p-zeros ffs!