Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

They ALWAYS try it on!

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2011, 10:49 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down They ALWAYS try it on!

Having a BEKO Fridge/Freezer which is subject to a recall/repair ... I have had the Engineer in to fit a new part, no problem.

Now, BEKO have tapped into the British Gas Electric Logistics and 'men-on-the-ground' - a sensible route to solve their issues.

British Gas Service my Boiler and I have a maintenance agreement with them - and, each time they Service it the Engineer is instructed to point out that my Boiler is on a 'limited spares warning' ... and that they can fit a new Boiler for me! Yeah, I know you can - at huge cost. I also know that I can get every part for my Boiler from the internet (when this situation changes maybe there would be an issue for me).

Anyway, I ramble on .... so, the Engineer arrives to fix the BEKO Fridge/Freezer - first job he has to do, he says, is to check the earthing and my consumer unit ...... he points out that it isn't up to current standards and maybe I should think about replacing it, and, amazingly, they can do it for me!!

I find this practise to be particularly sharp and bordering on the unethical ... they are playing on the concerns of people ... and spouting crap to scare them. It's out of order British Gas!!

There are elderly people out there who may be scared into changing their units for no good reason, there are the gullible and the uneducated.

Fair play to the Engineer - he said that he can see that I know the Consumer Unit is perfectly safe and usable ... but, he is under instructions to state that it isn't up to the current Regs.

They are using this BEKO recall as a selling opportunity and that's a questionable tactic IMO.

Last edited by pslewis; 08 July 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08 July 2011, 10:51 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bought a BEKO
Old 08 July 2011, 10:52 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My boiler is also earmarked as 'limited to no spares'! Luckily I dont live in the house and they know that, so I don't really get too harrassed by them, apart from by letter. I didnt realise how pricey a good boiler is!!
Old 08 July 2011, 10:55 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a business, so they advertise .. now't wrong with suggesting they can do you a better, safe, cleaner model, for a **** load more ..
Old 08 July 2011, 10:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
You bought a BEKO
I've had it 10 years without problem.

Only an idiot pays more than they have to for something .... and one of the reasons that I'm CONSIDERABLY richer than YOW!
Old 08 July 2011, 10:59 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I've had it 10 years without problem.

Only an idiot pays more than they have to for something .... and one of the reasons that I'm CONSIDERABLY richer than YOW!
So you think, still working at your age are you?
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In fairness; lets have a look at your consumer unit, Pete.

Does it happen to be a bakelite box screwed to a board of wood with fuse wire going between the terminals and rubber insulated wires for each circuit ?

pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
They are a business, so they advertise .. now't wrong with suggesting they can do you a better, safe, cleaner model, for a **** load more ..
Their 'business' in this case is that of BEKO ..... it is NOT to scare people by claiming their Electrics are not up to current standards!

That's the problem I have with it.
Old 08 July 2011, 11:02 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
In fairness; lets have a look at your consumer unit, Pete.

Does it happen to be a bakelite box screwed to a board of wood with fuse wire going between the terminals and rubber insulated wires for each circuit ?

I've just popped out and taken a piccie for you:-

http://www.household-electrics.co.uk...rouswiring.png

It was up to current standards when it was installed in 1927!
Old 08 July 2011, 11:04 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Did you fit it yourself then
Old 08 July 2011, 11:06 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've just popped out and taken a piccie for you:-

http://www.household-electrics.co.uk...rouswiring.png

It was up to current standards when it was installed in 1927!
I've seen worse ...you should see what we have at work!

(Landlord is yet to sort it out; I think he's hoping it'll burn down instead )
Old 08 July 2011, 11:10 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's not difficult putting a new Consumer Unit in ... the fly in the ointment is that you need to pay someone to re-connect to the grid!
Old 08 July 2011, 11:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

My cousin did mine. And boy did he get a cussing when I found he put the upstairs mains ring on the same RCD as the lights.

Last time it popped when using the wall paper stripper when doing some decorating in the evening (condensation in the wall socket)...I tripped over the ladders and nearly scalded myself with boiling water!

I ended up disconnecting the earth wire to the socket until I could finish the job without being plunged into steamy darkness :rolleeys:

Good boy now has corrected this and put all the lights on individual RCBOs...like they should be (although the regs say otherwise )

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 July 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08 July 2011, 11:45 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
You bought a BEKO
Nothing wrong with BEKO, I've had mine for 12 years and still going strong with no faults whatsoever since new.
Old 08 July 2011, 12:01 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Having a BEKO Fridge/Freezer which is subject to a recall/repair ... I have had the Engineer in to fit a new part, no problem.

Now, BEKO have tapped into the British Gas Electric Logistics and 'men-on-the-ground' - a sensible route to solve their issues.

British Gas Service my Boiler and I have a maintenance agreement with them - and, each time they Service it the Engineer is instructed to point out that my Boiler is on a 'limited spares warning' ... and that they can fit a new Boiler for me! Yeah, I know you can - at huge cost. I also know that I can get every part for my Boiler from the internet (when this situation changes maybe there would be an issue for me).

Anyway, I ramble on .... so, the Engineer arrives to fix the BEKO Fridge/Freezer - first job he has to do, he says, is to check the earthing and my consumer unit ...... he points out that it isn't up to current standards and maybe I should think about replacing it, and, amazingly, they can do it for me!!

I find this practise to be particularly sharp and bordering on the unethical ... they are playing on the concerns of people ... and spouting crap to scare them. It's out of order British Gas!!

There are elderly people out there who may be scared into changing their units for no good reason, there are the gullible and the uneducated.

Fair play to the Engineer - he said that he can see that I know the Consumer Unit is perfectly safe and usable ... but, he is under instructions to state that it isn't up to the current Regs.

They are using this BEKO recall as a selling opportunity and that's a questionable tactic IMO.
For the second time the bloke who fixed you fridge is not an Engineer, technician maybe, unlikely he went to University for four years and then spent several year in industry to gain his chartered status to then go and fix fridges for British Gas. Such a shame Engineer is not a protected title in the country unlike Germany. Really de-values the profession when all an sundry can call themselves "Engineers".

Thought you were an "Engineer" anyway or is it rocket scientist
Old 08 July 2011, 12:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
For the second time the bloke who fixed you fridge is not an Engineer, technician maybe, unlikely he went to University for four years and then spent several year in industry to gain his chartered status to then go and fix fridges for British Gas. Such a shame Engineer is not a protected title in the country unlike Germany. Really de-values the profession when all an sundry can call themselves "Engineers".
Totally agree with that

Chip (Engineer)
Old 08 July 2011, 12:30 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Their 'business' in this case is that of BEKO ..... it is NOT to scare people by claiming their Electrics are not up to current standards!

That's the problem I have with it.
Well the Beko fridge is an electrical appliance with a known fault plugged into your electrical system. If your electrical system is not up to standard then it will not protect you or your property against faulty appliances.

You have been warned, if you choose to ignore the warnings thats up to you but don't complain when your house burns down.
Old 08 July 2011, 01:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Come on, nobody buys toss like that if they are "considerably richer than yow", I am not rich but can see the value of buying top quality appliances as they last, Sebo vacuum, Miele washer and dryer, buying cheap crap like that is not a good idea, built down to a price to not last long, the reason the rich end up rich is they buy good stuff, look after it and pass it down, ok perhaps not appliances but my mother in law had a Miele washer for twenty years of six people in the house, we went through two in ten years, bought a third and its been fine for 5 years.
Old 08 July 2011, 01:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Depends; you could probably buy four BEKO freezers for the price of one Liebherr (thats who make the fridge/freezers for Miele by the way ).

Its a bit like our works laptops. IT guru said we MUST have a Panasonic toughbook. £Megabucks . Now they are good items, but for the price of one toughbook we could purchase over four mid spec Dell Vostros with the same or better RAM/CPU etc.

ON the basis they both will become technically obselete just as quick, and both are prone to being stolen, we went for the cheaper...and if it broke, we buy another, and another etc.

Well, three years on the Dell is still chugging away in the workshop being used as a portable Oscilloscope (amonst other things) The battery is just starting to give out and its getting a little obsolete CPU wise now. Which is fine, we'll buy another, and still remain quids in.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 July 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08 July 2011, 03:23 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

BG would have a duty of care to check things out to make sure the enviroment is safe as they would be wokring on the freezer which would then be plugged into the mains, if I was the engineer doing the work I would want to know I am not going to be responsible for burning down someones house (after the work has been done)
Old 08 July 2011, 03:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Well the Beko fridge is an electrical appliance with a known fault plugged into your electrical system. If your electrical system is not up to standard then it will not protect you or your property against faulty appliances.

You have been warned, if you choose to ignore the warnings thats up to you but don't complain when your house burns down.

This is exactly what I mean by my post ..... Numpties should be protected from themselves, the case above shows that some people get terrified by the statement that the Electrics are not up to current standards

99% of the houses in the UK are not up to current standards .... but the gullible don't know this and they are vulnerable to the sharp sell - which is what I object to.

And, yes, point taken - he probably wasn't a Chartered Engineer .... he was a Technician.
Old 08 July 2011, 06:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Going by past results, you should be the man to sort them out!

Les
Old 10 July 2011, 04:21 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Really annoys me too! fitter or at a push technician... but never an engineer please.
Old 10 July 2011, 04:50 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

A good thread Pete.

Geoff.
Old 10 July 2011, 09:45 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

What does practise mean is it simlar to practice ???
Old 10 July 2011, 10:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thought you were an "Engineer" anyway or is it rocket scientist
+1. I've stopped calling myself an apprentice engineer as I'm not. I'm going to be a qualified craftsman with the opportunities to study towards chartered engineer status. Bugs me when you hear people on £7 an hour calling themselves engineers FFS.
Old 11 July 2011, 12:05 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

For once I agree with you Lewis .........

But I won't make a habit of it

d