Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mate's pay issue

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2011, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mate's pay issue

My best mate works as a duty manager for Lidl. He's just started about 4 weeks ago and is due his first months pay on 28th (they get paid 2nd to last working day of the month he says).

He got the job by being in the right place at the right time, due to working as a duty manager for them previously in another city (in Lincs now, Notts previously). He HAS signed a contract of employment - very important.

Now his area manager has said that there may be an issue with him being paid because he didn'd do the whole application process thing. Apparently trying to talk to management in Lidl's is akin to playing with a monkeys foreskin (his words not mine).

So his situation may be that he doesn't get paid even though he has a signed contract of employment for x amount of hours per week. For the record he's jumped through hoops trying to do this stupid application paperwork to appease them as he is new.

So if he isn't paid on 28th this month, what action could he legally take, what action is he in his rights to take?

My understanding is it is his managers issue re. the application and he should be paid regardless as he has a contract. Knowing previous form from his time as duty manager in Notts. he could be strung along for weeks and weeks. This isn't an option financially. He works there as a means for money, it was a job when unemployed and credit to him for at least getting off the 'John role'.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 23 July 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 23 July 2011, 05:31 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds a bit off. When did he sign that contract and what does it actually state on it? He was working there under agreement that he would receive payment in return (presumably this is what the contract states?) and they are not doing this? If it's as clear cut as that, surely there is no question they have to pay him.
Old 23 July 2011, 05:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
My best mate works as a duty manager for Lidl. He's just started about 4 weeks ago and is due his first months pay on 28th (they get paid 2nd to last working day of the month he says).

He got the job by being in the right place at the right time, due to working as a duty manager for them previously in another city (in Lincoln now, Nottingham previously). He HAS signed a contract of employment - very important.

Now his area manager has said that there may be an issue with him being paid because he didn'd do the whole application process thing. Apparently trying to talk to management in Lidl's is akin to playing with a monkeys foreskin (his words not mine).

So his situation may be that he doesn't get paid even though he has a signed contract of employment for x amount of hours per week. For the record he's jumped through hoops trying to do this stupid application paperwork to appease them as he is new.

So if he isn't paid on 28th this month, what action could he legally take, what action is he in his rights to take?

My understanding is it is his managers issue re. the application and he should be paid regardless as he has a contract. Knowing previous form from his time as duty manager in Notts. he could be strung along for weeks and weeks. This isn't an option financially. He works there as a means for money, it was a job when unemployed and credit to him for at least getting off the 'John role'.

Cheers

Andy
Does the contract state his hours and rate of pay/salary for performing the job as wel as detailing the role and his responsibilities? If so then his company are breaching the contract. If the company (by the sounds of things) haven't gone through the correct procedure to promote/employ him as a manager then it is their issue and not his.

The contract is there to protect both parties. If he has done his part then it is down to them to do theirs.
Old 23 July 2011, 05:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm just showing him the responces Paul/Alan. He's grateful for any assistance as you can imagine.

EDIT: From what he's said, yes his contract states min. hours of employment, rate of pay etc, etc. So yeah, he should get paid legally. But he's not too sure who to speak to or what to say regardless of the managements stupidity. Does that make sense? His managers are thick as ****, so he wouldn't be suprised if he isn't paid regardless that he HAS to be. But what actions would be taken if this was the case?

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 23 July 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 23 July 2011, 06:41 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

As he has a contract he should be expected to get paid for the hour he has done.

I would imagine he could go breach of contract route via solicitor but that would probably take so long he would be using cardboard boxes in the park to keep warm.

I wouldn't have thought not completing the application process was sucha biggie after all promotions happen all the time does that mean they interview everyone for everything and they have to complete a form?

Also can he not suggest that they interview him after he completes the applications and they then give him the job on a new contract to put everything right
Old 23 July 2011, 06:44 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there not an HR department he could contact? I'm not saying they would be any better, but perhaps it's worth a try.
Old 23 July 2011, 06:46 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

ACAS are usually very good at giving advice with employment issues, it might be worth him getting in touch with them.
Old 23 July 2011, 06:47 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
Old 23 July 2011, 07:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys, all stuff I've said, including seeking advice from higher management. Being a weekend any HR staff will not be there and I have suggested ACAS/CAB should he not be paid.
Old 23 July 2011, 08:41 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

http://franklludwig.com/lidl.html
Old 23 July 2011, 08:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe

There will be a page like that for Bibby Distribution who I used to work for, only thing being it will be in Polish and later Slovakian
Old 23 July 2011, 08:57 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Are you sure he never just signed for a delivery?
Old 23 July 2011, 10:01 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

lol^^