Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Looking for a Squash Racket.

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2011, 09:38 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Squash Racket.

I have just joined my local squash club and have been using a cheap racket but need to get a better one now

Anyone got any advice which one or brands to look at. I would like to spend about £50 will that get me a good one?

Any other tips would be good?

Is it worth me getting squash shoes?
Old 23 July 2011, 09:58 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/microg...eam-139623396/

Old 24 July 2011, 01:23 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

There are a number of good racket brands around so it can be difficult to get the right one for you, but £50 should be fine.

Do you have someone at your club who sells rackets as they should have a number of demos which you can try and this takes out some of the risk of you spending £50 at whatever sports shop you choose and finding that you don't like the racket.

In terms of shoes, then yes, buy proper squash shoes with gum rubber on the soles - these will give you much better grip than playing in normal trainers. Also most clubs don't allow people to play in shoes with black soles.

And finally, it is worth having a lesson or 2 with a coach who can give you a few pointers to help with your game.

Cheers
Old 24 July 2011, 02:25 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always played using Wilson or Head. I've seen some very good rackets down to £25. Go for either brand and you wont go far wrong. I've had 3 Wilson recently and they play well - good feel and power.
Old 24 July 2011, 05:45 PM
Van Diesel
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Simes777
In terms of shoes, then yes, buy proper squash shoes with gum rubber on the soles - these will give you much better grip than playing in normal trainers. Also most clubs don't allow people to play in shoes with black soles.

And finally, it is worth having a lesson or 2 with a coach who can give you a few pointers to help with your game.

Cheers
Agree fully with Simes. The grip on squash shoes and better stability means you are less likely to be injured.

Coaching early on will give you good technique to enjoy your game more and reduce the risk of picking up bad habits that need to be undone at a later stage. Youtube has some useful lessons.

IMO - Wilson Hyper Hammer 120 is an excellent value for money racquet. Bought one new around 1999 for about £120 and now widely available for about £40 (I just bought another last year). Try as many racquets as you can for your personal preference.
Old 25 July 2011, 12:53 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Van Diesel
Agree fully with Simes. The grip on squash shoes and better stability means you are less likely to be injured.

Coaching early on will give you good technique to enjoy your game more and reduce the risk of picking up bad habits that need to be undone at a later stage. Youtube has some useful lessons.

IMO - Wilson Hyper Hammer 120 is an excellent value for money racquet. Bought one new around 1999 for about £120 and now widely available for about £40 (I just bought another last year). Try as many racquets as you can for your personal preference.
Some reasonable advice on here already but, your squash shoes don't need to be clear/gum rubber....just none marking ones are fine as most modern indoor court shoes are. These are essential though if you wish to avoid slipping (injury) and not mark the court.

With regards to rackets, i've played with all sorts. Don't think that is expensive is good, it's not. I've played with £150 Prince rackets that have lasted no more than half a season and £20 sh1tters that have become an "old faithful". Go for a good mid price racket.......i'm playing with Wilson K(Smash) rackets at the moment, you can get two for £60 from either ebay or isquash web site at the moment - they were £100 each a few years back. They are a well balanced racket with a decent sweet spot and have a good feel/touch to them.

What i would advise is that you get whatever racket you have restrung with either tecnifibre 105 or Ashaway supernick. That will improve the feel of the racket no end.

I've played squash in Northwest Counties for a local club for a fair few years now, not to mention the endless amounts of coaching.....keep at it and the rewards are worth it!
Old 25 July 2011, 03:12 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Have played since a junior and am still playing at least 4 times a week.
Always used either Wilson or Dunlop Rackets. Currently using a Wilson Tour BLX (£100) which is a smaller headed racket. I also use a Wilson N Tour which is an older model with "Power holes" Both are used with Technifibre strings. Buy the best shoes you can afford. They need to be non marking souls.
Being a member of a club will mean you game will improve very quickly as you will be playing different people. The social side is also good.

Basically, Enjoy.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2011, 12:24 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the all the advice just spoken to I squash and he recommended the following.

http://www.isquashstore.com/Head/Hea...acket-(2).aspx

or

http://www.isquashstore.com/SpecialO...sh-Racket.aspx

Would one should i go for?

Also one do people buy 2 rackets of the same type?

Also for the shoes are these any good?

http://www.isquashstore.com/SpecialO...300-Mens-.aspx

Thanks again for all the help
Old 26 July 2011, 12:49 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Thanks for the all the advice just spoken to I squash and he recommended the following.

http://www.isquashstore.com/Head/Hea...acket-(2).aspx

or

http://www.isquashstore.com/SpecialO...sh-Racket.aspx

Would one should i go for?

Also one do people buy 2 rackets of the same type?

Also for the shoes are these any good?

http://www.isquashstore.com/SpecialO...300-Mens-.aspx

Thanks again for all the help
I'd go with the KSmash, it's what i play with. It's a good all rounder. And yes, i have a few of these. Some people are able to pick up and play with any racket but i think they are in the minority. I like everything the same, same racket, same strings and same tension other wise my games goes to pot abit.

Shoes wise, that's difficult one, different brands have a different fit so it'll be down to what feels right on your foot. Not ideal when buying off the net.
Old 26 July 2011, 03:42 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

sports direct always have them in at a reduced price, £70 rackets for £20 etc. not sure how far and wide there stores go but well worth a visit if you have one not too far.
Old 26 July 2011, 03:46 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Do they have the k smash for £20
Old 26 July 2011, 04:09 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

dont know tbh, its more a case of whats there, but there is a lot of good ones greatly reduced
Old 26 July 2011, 04:22 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

btw, something has come to mind regarding your "who needs 2 rackets". i have spent a small fortune over 20 years of playing squash, some rackets i have lost in house moves, some borrowed and not returned etc. but i have broken 1 or 2 as well. now i am no expert at squash but i know that having a racket that is so expensive you are scared to break it, does have an effect on your game! if it were me starting out again i would buy one that i liked the feel of and was not so expensive that i would begrudge paying out for another. if you can get 2 decent rackets for the price of one its always good to know you have a spare should you smash your racket on the wall. sometimes having to end a game because of a mistake you have made can really **** you off, a spare racket in the boot of your car may not be such a bad idea when starting out! enjoy anyway, its a great game.
Old 26 July 2011, 05:47 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I always use 2 identical rackets and string as, if you break one mid game (String) then you just change to the other without having to adjust anything.
Old 26 July 2011, 10:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
sports direct always have them in at a reduced price, £70 rackets for £20 etc. not sure how far and wide there stores go but well worth a visit if you have one not too far.
Much as i hate to say it, Sports Direct have some damn low prices. You just have to avoid thinking about how much they are shafting their suppliers, staff etc.

i bought a couple of rackets for a song!

mb
Old 28 July 2011, 06:50 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

One last question would this racket be better than the k smash

http://www.sportsdirect.com/wilson-k...-racket-734010

Thanks
Old 28 July 2011, 09:27 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Thanks
A very good racket. Same weight as the ones I use. Go too light and they loose feel. 145. Is about right.
I use a Wilson blx tour. Fantastic racket. Have a look to see if youcan find one of those.

Last edited by Frosticles; 28 July 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 28 July 2011, 12:58 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Is it a better racket than a K Smash? - Yes

Would you notice the difference between the two? - Unlikely

To buy two of these would be £100 plus p&p compared to £60 plus p&p for a K Smash.

Buy the K Smash and spend the rest on a few coaching sessions!
Old 28 July 2011, 04:55 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
Is it a better racket than a K Smash? - Yes

Would you notice the difference between the two? - Unlikely

To buy two of these would be £100 plus p&p compared to £60 plus p&p for a K Smash.

Buy the K Smash and spend the rest on a few coaching sessions!
+1