Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BT home mover debacle

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2011, 08:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT home mover debacle

Phoned up to arrange a transfer of phone and broadband. Spoke to a British call centre, all apparently setup well with a transfer of service on the day we move. Worked smoothly last time.

Then find out the house we're moving to has two lines. Obtained the two telephone numbers and rang up BT to confirm we were taking over the line we want to take over. Indian call centre insists that there is only one line.

Anyway, after many hours, they change the provisional phone number (not a huge issue) and put back the activation date by 11 days for broadband and 5 days for phone. Mobile service where we're moving is poor. India tell my wife this is all they can do.

I phone back the home movers, and after 90 minutes I eventually get through to India who will try to escalate it. I explained that as a GP I need a working home phone (there used to be a priority repair service but it was dropped recently due to the use of mobiles, but that isn't good with a poor mobile signal) and that running an online business works well only if I can be online. They cannot escalate it as the order is not "committed", even though we are moving in 4 days and I put the order in 11 days ago.

Does anyone understand this process? I would love to speak to someone in the UK, but they transfer me to India now I've put in the home mover order. They never give confidence that they've actually understood what I'm requesting and that they are actually going to do it.

Three are no better, it took 3 calls to India just to get the right address for one mobile account. Their online system couldn't handle a change of address and sent me texts to say the address had been changed but hadn't in the online account.

Usually, speaking to someone in Britain at least means they understand the problem. Any organisation that runs overseas call centres must be starting to realise how annoying this is for customers.

Indians don't seem to realise that not every house has a number, that the street name comes before the town, not after etc. They don't seem to appreciate that in the 21st century in the UK we expect phone services to be transferred the same day.
Old 25 July 2011, 08:13 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ask to speak to a uk operater thats what i was told
Old 25 July 2011, 08:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem when trying to sort a bill.

On asking how bt contact departments internally, i was told those numbers cannot be given out as they are private.

lol the company that needs to be accessible to the public wont give you the number or put you through internally.

Suffice to say i walked..

Be there now look after everything

Mart
Old 25 July 2011, 09:43 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I, too, was told to ask to speak to a supervisor. Keep going until you speak to someone in the UK.

Also - what I found worked was to ask them to repeat to me exactly what they were personally going to do and for them to give you a timeframe as to when they would complete. Take their name and explain that if they don't do as they say, you will complain about them.

Worked for me - got me an engineer on my doorstep on the same day!