Diesels, how high do they go ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 12:47 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesels, how high do they go ?

Hi

Just wondering the milage your average diesel would do before you start having problems ?

cars like BMWs, Volvos and Audis

I've seen a car I'd like for my run around but its on 194,000 miles

A better example would make a bigger hole in the pocket and I have other things to buy

Would I be daft to consider it ?

Its only a number, right ?
Old 26 July 2011, 12:49 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What car you looking at and what history does it have?

Doug
Old 26 July 2011, 12:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Depends on it's history. I've seen taxis still going strong with 300k+ on the clock!

One of our Octavia pool cars has done 246k and the engine's never missed a beat. It is on it's second gearbox, and third lot of springs & dampers though.
Old 26 July 2011, 12:59 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

heres the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-BMW-3...item4aad0bb273

History lost apparantly

Milage doesnt bother me as I'd be doing near 700 miles
Old 26 July 2011, 01:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

whouldn't go there myself, while the milage is high, its the 'lost history' that worrys me more
Old 26 July 2011, 01:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
Hi

Just wondering the milage your average diesel would do before you start having problems ?

cars like BMWs, Volvos and Audis

I've seen a car I'd like for my run around but its on 194,000 miles

A better example would make a bigger hole in the pocket and I have other things to buy

Would I be daft to consider it ?

At 194,000 miles I think you're asking for trouble.

If it's non-Turbo, then it might be ok if maintained properly. Even so, that is a lot of miles. Rather you than me.
Old 26 July 2011, 01:09 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
whouldn't go there myself, while the milage is high, its the 'lost history' that worrys me more
+1. Would want history on services and any other work done!

Doug
Old 26 July 2011, 01:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010

The number 2, is only a number.

However, it is usually associated with having a dump. And this car sounds like a right Turd.
Old 26 July 2011, 01:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Some diesels have lots of problems, DPF's, Mercs spitting injectors out through the engine cowl, turbos failing, bits of inlet getting ingested. I dont really think they deserve there reputation for longevity these days, ok some do big milages but so do some petrols, they tend to be heavier on clutches and the rest of the drivetrain and tyres due to more weight and torque, especially the more powerful variants, suspect CrisPDuks Octavia is a lower power model.

I think diesels got their reputaion from old style non turbos that had iron blocks, low revving, low output, robust cooling and would keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles, my dad used to work on Gardner Bus engines and sometimes they would be pulled from a Bus at half a million miles and turned out to still be fine yet some could be knackered at half that, all to do with oil changes, conditions and how it was run in, no real rhyme or reason to it.

I dont think they are the long distance, high mile paragon of reliability and frugality people perceive them to be nowadays, my cousing ran a 205 D (no turbo) to 250,000 and it was still going strong (engine was, car was horrible), non turbo Golf 1.9 the same then a Leon FR which blows its coolant out of he thrashes it and its only done 80,000 or therabouts and the clutch slips as well.
Old 26 July 2011, 01:34 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

lots of miles on a little car, in a short time.

the one engine I do know that runs for ever is a diesel peugeot or citroen block.

my mate 406 estate has 280 miles on by now ! his last pug did 260 before bodywork let go.

my sister's octavia diesel let go big time at 60K. full top end rebuild.

but they love the car and bought another, after they'd added another 60K to the 1st broken one

a mate has just traded his 190k d. passat. no bother at all with it.
Old 26 July 2011, 01:47 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I've heard of diesel prime-movers working for 40 odd years without strip down.
Old 26 July 2011, 01:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by stilover
If it's non-Turbo ...
Do they even exist any more?!

TX.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:11 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

skoda octavias, constituted around 60-70% of taxis in glasgow when i worked there, most see massive milages. mostly base models.
as said, maintenance is key, along with running in, driving style and a small eliment of luck.

wouldnt like that milage with no histroy
Old 26 July 2011, 02:15 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

These engines seem to run forever when serviced. At that sort of mileage you should really be looking at other things like bushes and wheel bearings.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:25 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

My 330d (de flapped) has done 120k now. Still pulls like a train.

Had to have some major work done on front suspension - but otherwise all's good (promptly touches wood).

Also get 42 mpg
Old 26 July 2011, 02:29 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Oh, if you have the cars REG, you can check with BMW UK to pull any service history (if done through a UK Dealer)

The diff has a clunk when taking up the slack in the drive train. This is one bush that costs £30, a common issue and in no way affects the car other than a gentle thud from the back when you take your foot off the gas while cruising, but you hardly notice it. I've never been inclined to change it, and never would. Both my E46's have done it, and it's a very common issue, no big deal.

The hand brake needs tightening, it's not particularly brilliant.

The Multi changer works when it wants to, same for the parking sensors.
Mine also has all the above

Last edited by BlkKnight; 26 July 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/23/v...iesel-in-ohio/

Th owners holding up pretty well too !
Old 26 July 2011, 03:11 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

I came across an old Volvo 2.4 D5 a while back with 350k on the clock.

My Fabia vRS has 125k on it and is still a monster.
Old 26 July 2011, 03:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
+1

Also with that sort of miles you need to be looking at the suspension and the rest of the drivetrain, ideally all corners would have been replaced, bushes, clutch, etc. Lost history is a real worry.

I ran my pug 406 to 180K on it original engine before selling it on and it is still around. as far as i am aware nothing had been replaced engine/turbo wise. It came with a raft of bill and receipts from day1

I would do some research on that BMW engine as i seem to remember them having a few problems and being serious ££££'s to fix

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 July 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 26 July 2011, 03:40 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I've sent him a message to try and get more info on it

I've found in the past its not the car you need to check with a fine tooth comb its the seller, if they pass with flying colours the cars usually a good one
Old 26 July 2011, 04:16 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Ive had a TDi Passat (81Kw) for 5.5 years and its now got 185k on the clock, engine is still fine and pulls strong, returns 60mpg if driven well, also manages 50mpg towing a trailer.

Had to replace a few front bushes a couple of years back, so I replaced all the front ones in one go, and just ordered a full set of discs and pads. It really is just so reliable, and theres next to no wear on the interior either.
Old 26 July 2011, 05:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My little 205 TDi has just passed the 200k mark. Engine is still terrific but it's a well used car and everything else is falling to bits. But it's perfect for my son because no one want to nick it and it does 55 mpg.

But my Volvo petrol turbo is on 180k and my old 405 petrol did 210k before it caught rust.

Have a pal with a Merc 2 litre diesel who retired as a cabbie with 535k on the clock!

But to answer OP's question 194k is pushing it and the rest of the vehicle is likely to be suffering. Rather depends on how the miles were covered.

dl
Old 26 July 2011, 07:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Worst heap I saw was a 3 year old Cavalier Diesel with 99,000 miles, it failed it's first MOT on everything.

LoL

dunx

P.S. My pal had a new Civic (petrol) the next day...
Old 26 July 2011, 08:03 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have had a 2005 300k saab 1.9 diesel that ran fine until it it 315k and it started smoking. I also had a 2005 150k saab 2.2 diesel that still runs perfectly now. My friend had a 320k 309 diesel but that was non turbo. I would advise sticking to VAG engines I rarely see BMW's with much more than 150k on them, there are some volvos with 250 plus about as well but I can't say I have ever owned one.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:08 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I just looked at that ebay ad and I would not touch that car with a barge pole. Too many miles fault with the diff no history and very over priced.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:16 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I almost forgot to mention the 1989 golf I had that did 500k, I drove that golf 4000+ miles across europe with one break for sleep I wish I still had for the sake of history. I would like to reiterate though that the ebay advert you linked too has loads of things that raise alarm bells.
Old 26 July 2011, 09:17 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Some diesels have lots of problems, DPF's, Mercs spitting injectors out through the engine cowl, turbos failing, bits of inlet getting ingested. I dont really think they deserve there reputation for longevity these days, ok some do big milages but so do some petrols, they tend to be heavier on clutches and the rest of the drivetrain and tyres due to more weight and torque, especially the more powerful variants, suspect CrisPDuks Octavia is a lower power model.

I think diesels got their reputaion from old style non turbos that had iron blocks, low revving, low output, robust cooling and would keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles, my dad used to work on Gardner Bus engines and sometimes they would be pulled from a Bus at half a million miles and turned out to still be fine yet some could be knackered at half that, all to do with oil changes, conditions and how it was run in, no real rhyme or reason to it.

I dont think they are the long distance, high mile paragon of reliability and frugality people perceive them to be nowadays, my cousing ran a 205 D (no turbo) to 250,000 and it was still going strong (engine was, car was horrible), non turbo Golf 1.9 the same then a Leon FR which blows its coolant out of he thrashes it and its only done 80,000 or therabouts and the clutch slips as well.
how ******* right you are. EG Citroen C8. 6 years old. 2 years ago. high presssure and low pressure fuel system destroyed £1500. this year before my father went to dublin he had it serviced to make sure it would be ok. £300 for bits n bobs. after the service the mechanic said for MOT in September it would need 2 new rear back calipers, the two springs at the back are completely broken, the handbrake cable will need replaced, 2 new front tyres.
the car has 12500 miles on it. my dad goes to the shops once a week with my mum ffs. feel like crashing the ****** through the dealers windows. a bundle of $hite that must be the worst build quality ever.

Last edited by bigsinky; 26 July 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 27 July 2011, 06:50 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

dont get me started on fooking citroen..... customer services are shocking to say the least......

Last edited by borderlinechris; 27 July 2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: ..
Old 27 July 2011, 12:50 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Absolutely correct, both our Octavias have the low power (110bhp?) versions of the VAG TD engine, and both are regularly serviced.

I would agree with everything Jacko says, proper diesels are the ones to go for, not the over-tuned petrol engined wannabes

Quick Reply: Diesels, how high do they go ?