Young children - Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2011, 11:27 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young children - Stuttering

Hi all,

This is a question to all the parents out in Scoobyland. I have a 2.5yr old son who is in the process of talking. His speech is slowly developing, and can say the odd sentance well, and impresses me with the odd new word he slips into conversation.

However, Ive noticed over the last week or so that he now seems to stutter when saying "Mummy" or "Daddy", or when he says "I". I did a search on the net, and it seems this is quite common as he's in that period of growth / learning, where some children become over loaded with words and stutter.

So, any of you guys had this with your young children ?? If so, how long did it last ?? I must admit, it does worry me, and I wonder if I need to do anything / got to a speach theropist etc etc.

SBK
Old 27 July 2011, 11:38 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Very common.

Our son will be 4 at the end of August, and we're still in the process of seeing speech therapists with a view to grommits. In our case, his speech has been slightly affected by hearing issues (again, common) and there's certain sounds he struggles with, in particular 'S's.
He does stutter sometimes, though it seems to be more when he's trying to blurt out a sentance without thinking about what he's going to say first.

If you're that worried, go and see your GP, but you'll probably find they'll tell you to see how it goes as they're at such a young age.
Old 27 July 2011, 11:49 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah you can see a Speech Therapist, but IMHO it's important to not make a massive deal out of it and shame the kid. I think my Parents did this to my Brother and he got a real issues about his stammer.

I have a mate who is a surgeon and stutters every now and again so it's not the end of the world.
Old 27 July 2011, 12:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

ch ch ch chill out a bit
Old 27 July 2011, 12:26 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

:-) Davyboy !!!! lol

My brother's son should of had grommits as he had `glue ear`, but eventually this dried out. His speech is a little poor, considering he's nearly 5 now, but getting better.

I suppose you just worry, as stuttering is something that can make a child a little embrassed and perhaps not as upfront / interactive due to being embrassed. Nor I or my wife make an issue with the stuttering and am hoping it will eventually go. He doesnt stutter with all words, and can say mummy / daddy perfectly, I just think he stutters when excited, or when there's so much going on.

I will give it a month, and see what happens.

Cheers guys

SBK
Old 27 July 2011, 12:28 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It considered a 'normal' stage of speech development. My son stuttered a bit for a shirt while, but then he just seem to stop.

I wouldn't worry about it, and a speech therapist doesn't usuall feel the need to get invloved until at least the age of three. By which point, this stage has past.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not something that isn't going away.

let his HV know so it's in record.

If he still has it when he is three then talk to his. HV to see what they suggest.

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2011, 12:37 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Will do Hysteria :-)

SBK
Old 27 July 2011, 12:42 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

My niece did it from when she was about two to about four, we used to call her G'G'Gareth

It always appeared to me like her brain was just pouring all these new words out faster than her mouth could handle them. I found it fascinating to watch her as she slowly learned to get it all under control

She speaks normally now, and like most females, constantly
Old 27 July 2011, 12:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 25 and still stutter!
Old 27 July 2011, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
Hi all,

This is a question to all the parents out in Scoobyland. I have a 2.5yr old son who is in the process of talking. His speech is slowly developing, and can say the odd sentance well, and impresses me with the odd new word he slips into conversation.

However, Ive noticed over the last week or so that he now seems to stutter when saying "Mummy" or "Daddy", or when he says "I". I did a search on the net, and it seems this is quite common as he's in that period of growth / learning, where some children become over loaded with words and stutter.

So, any of you guys had this with your young children ?? If so, how long did it last ?? I must admit, it does worry me, and I wonder if I need to do anything / got to a speach theropist etc etc.

SBK
My advise is get him into speech therapy ASAP.

I started suffering from a stutter in Junior school. It made my life hell. Every morning I struggles to say "yes sir" to the register call. The teacher in my last year was an absolute B.astard. I could say "Sir", but struggled with saying "yes Sir". He wouldn't move on till I stuttered out "Yes Sir" to fits of laughter in the class.

Once I got to Comprehensive it continued. My parents just thought I'd grow out of it. I didn't. I was constantly in fights. Anyone who laughed, or took the p!ss, got a smack.

Obviously this affected my life going through relationships. ie, the lack of them. Why bother trying to chat a lass up, only to have her laugh in my face. So didn't bother.

When i got into my 20's, I `had` to get help. Started taking speech therapy classes at my local hospital. Although I still do have a slight stutter, it's no way as bad as it used to be.

It does get worse if I'm nervous, as you tend to talk faster.

Do you kid the biggest favour of his life. Get him into speech therapy.
Old 27 July 2011, 01:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
ch ch ch chill out a bit
That's the type of comments I mentioned above. People who said **** like that to my face, got their nose broken.
Old 27 July 2011, 01:15 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Hi Stilover. I feel your pain dude, and my son's future development is my number 1 priority. He's only 2.5yrs old, and only stutters slightly on the odd word so will see what happens in the next few weeks. If it doesnt improve, then I will be taking him to the best speech therapists I can afford. How's your stuttering now ? What advice did your therapist suggest ??

I think all people stutter a little, when caught off guard, or when your thinking multiple threads, and talking.

Davyboy is only playing around, and Im sure never ment any harm.

SBK
Old 27 July 2011, 01:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
That's the type of comments I mentioned above. People who said **** like that to my face, got their nose broken.
My cousin had a really bad stutter, he was my best friend as well, we used to laugh and take the **** about it all the time he and i an a couple of other close mates, which helped him ch ch chill about it and get over it. eventually.

If anyone else took the **** they would get their nose broken, usually by me

Just remembered, we found after talking about it a lot that pursing his lips swollowing and breathing through his nose was the way to stop it but it is a lot more complicated than that as you also need to stop the urge to keep trying, which from what he said is almost uncontrollable, and related to the brain more than the mouth, but i'm no expert and i'm sure it's different for other people.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 27 July 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 27 July 2011, 02:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I should leave it for a while without mentioning it to him. Important that he does not get self concious about it.

He will most likely grow out of it naturally.

Les
Old 27 July 2011, 03:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would ask your GP to refer him to a Speech Therapist. They won't make it a big deal and will give you proper advice.

As it happens my daughter has just finished her MSc in Speech Therapy and so I have picked up on services offered to kids. But do make sure your GP acts on your request.

He may well grow out of it but do not leave it to "see what happens".

dl
Old 27 July 2011, 04:09 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I had a full blown Gareth Gates level stammer until October 6th 1984. How do I know the exact date? That was the day I started at University. I woke up that morning with a stammer and the next without one.

Still freaks me out to this day.

People who didn't know me thought I was a bit simple / slow because I couldn't answer their questions when they asked - even when it was clear I was trying to and was simply unable to speak - the looks they gave me.... God it used to drive me nuts. This kind of patronising pity, even to the extent of ignoring me and asking the people WITH me what I was trying to say!

(Oh, and I used to get really riled up about people taking the pee. I had to stop reading this thread for a while when I saw the comment above. I was bullied constantly about my stammer at school, until I decided I wasn't going to let people any more, and I'm hugely intolerant of it even now.)

I went to a speech therapist and he concluded that I was simply trying to get too many words out at once, and falling over them. Unfortunately, I got so self-conscious about it that it stuck for years - right until that day when my life completely changed (Uni start / leaving home thing)

I still catch on words occasionally, but it's always when I'm tired or stressed - I don't get embarrassed about it, it's just one of those things to me now.

The worst thing to do for anyone with a stammer? Say the word for them. Don't. Just don't. Wait, be patient - it'll pop out eventually
Old 28 July 2011, 10:13 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Well, I looked up and rang several speech therapists today as I decided I would rather get advice now. All of them agree that it could be an environment / attention thing as its only started in the last few weeks, when my late night 2am shifts began and when I Mrs started working on a project at home. Both gave good advice, which I will try and both suggested a diary to see if there is a trend / common factor which makes him stutter more.

Ive spoke to the Mrs, who is a stay at home mum, and we are already trying our new found info and will see what happens.

Cheers for all your help, and experiences, its been good reading them and understand further what this situation / problem can generate in feelings / tips and what to do.

SBK
Old 28 July 2011, 11:19 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You did the right thing phoning up. Yea, they always say keep a diary of when you stammer, what word you stammer on, and in what situations.

Good luck with it all. Hope that as you have sought help at such an early stage, that it can be nipped in the bud now.
Old 28 July 2011, 11:31 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

At 2.5 years old, I cant see 'knocking his confidence' being an issue.

The speech therapist we saw made all her tests fun, our son LOVED attending.

From what she told me in the past, knocking these issues on the head are much easier the younger the child is. Leave it til later in life and it may become a problem.
Old 28 July 2011, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes a good idea to get professional advice to start with.

Les
Old 28 July 2011, 12:01 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I had a full blown Gareth Gates level stammer until October 6th 1984. How do I know the exact date? That was the day I started at University. I woke up that morning with a stammer and the next without one.
Was that the morning after you first felt the warmth of a woman's loins?