Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

pay as you go mobile advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2011, 05:13 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default pay as you go mobile advice

Guys ive got an old 3g Iphone on o2 just cancelled contract and asked for an o2 pay as you go sim

question is, are there any pay as you gos that let you top up and then it stays topped up till you use it

Im not bothered about shedloads of stuff, just some sms and mins etc

what i dont want is to have to top up every month
Old 28 July 2011, 06:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All pay as you go phones do that.......you pay, the phone is topped up and then you use it. As you use it then the amount of credit you have diminishes.

Turn off / don't use the phone and the credit stays.

If I do decide to top up at monthly intervals then I can get freebies like free texts but I only use the phone very rarely and top up every 6 months or so.

Shaun
Old 28 July 2011, 07:30 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ahh cool thats what i was hoping .

Cheers
Old 28 July 2011, 07:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
All pay as you go phones do that.......you pay, the phone is topped up and then you use it. As you use it then the amount of credit you have diminishes.

Turn off / don't use the phone and the credit stays.

If I do decide to top up at monthly intervals then I can get freebies like free texts but I only use the phone very rarely and top up every 6 months or so.

Shaun
Not strictly true, Midders. If the phone is off, yes, otherwise no, you don't have to be using the iPhone for it to eat credit, it just needs to be on.

If your iPhone is on just make sure you put the iPhone into 2G mode or you'll lose credit in days.

Settings - General - Network - Enable 3G (Off) - Cellular Data (Off) - Data Roaming (Off).

You can now use the phone as a phone without data gremlins taking your credit whenever your phone is switched on.
Old 28 July 2011, 07:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that spoon........my iphone3g is simply used as a PAYG and for surfing SN on the bog via home wi-fi.

I didn't know it could lose credit (it doesn't seem to).......is this used by applications like Lattitude (which they have at work) to keep tabs on each others wherebouts...

Shaun
Old 28 July 2011, 08:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Thanks for that spoon........my iphone3g is simply used as a PAYG and for surfing SN on the bog via home wi-fi.

I didn't know it could lose credit (it doesn't seem to).......is this used by applications like Lattitude (which they have at work) to keep tabs on each others wherebouts...

Shaun
I have a couple here that I just use to keep diamond numbers 'live' before selling. If I don't have the settings as stated I can lose £5 of credit in a few days. It happened once and that was the last time. I looked it up and others complained of mysterious data usage while asleep. They are watching us!

There are no apps on the phone that use running GPS, it is relatively empty and only used as above, nothing more.
Old 28 July 2011, 08:12 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Quick google does indeed throw up a lot of threads on iphones dribbling credit into the aether

Just off to check mine

Cheers

Shaun