Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone here own a Yamaha R1

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2002, 07:04 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of buying the last of the 2001 stock at my local dealer, Yamaha are also doing a low cost insurance scheme to help with my 0 years NCB.
Question:
Is this a good or bad choice for someone who hasn't ridden a bike for 6 years?
The last bike I rode was a Suzuki GSX750 Katana.
I will be using it for a 18 mile trip around M3,M25,M4 twice a day and probably the odd sunny Sunday blast.
I'm just scared that this will be too powerfull of a bike given my 6 year gap of riding.
Any owners care to comment?
Cheers
Old 25 April 2002, 07:09 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It'll only go as fast as your right hand tells it too. But yes, it's long way removed from a Katana 750.

They're beautiful bikes, no major problems with them, they go fast, very fast and handle brilliantly.

I say go for it, but don't ride outside your limits.

Might not be the best bike for commuting though, not the most comfortable of bikes, but you'd get used it after aching for a few weeks, LOL
Old 25 April 2002, 07:29 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

I haven't taken a R1 out for a ride, only my mates ZX6-R. I thought that had a fair amount of power for a 600cc but I wasn't crapping myself when I opened it up.
Insurance companys will not touch me without having at least 2yrs NCB, hence why I am getting pushed into a R1 because of the low cost insurance.
28 years old, 0 NCB, GU postcode is £628 TPF&T.
Same quote on a ZX6-R is over a grand.
Old 25 April 2002, 08:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

john,

this is perfect! normaly when someone new or back after a lay off gets a bike everyone says "get a 400"

an R1 is exactly what you need- it is, along with the GSXR one of the best bikes in the world- why on earth wouldnt you get one?

the idea that it is too powerfull is twaddle- my wifes fiesta is too powerfull if i floor it in asdas car park and it will also do well over 100mph- so should i sell it? course not!

you know how a throttle works on a bike? as long as the answer is yes then you will be fine.

Tiggs

ps- the only thing you might want to add is a steering damper- depends how hard you ride- to be honest unless you are going hard or you mess with the stock suspension you should be ok (but they can slap if you push it)
Old 25 April 2002, 08:05 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't forgetnext year when your renewal comes through, i had a R6, first year £616 fc, renewal £1136. I had no claims in that year and no extra points :-(
Old 25 April 2002, 08:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

good point! my fist yr was with yamaha link- very cheap! in year 2 they said they wouldnt insure me cause i only had 1 yr NCB !!! scum!

so i never insured it and went track day'in!
Old 25 April 2002, 08:26 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

The R1 is not the best 'comuter' bike in the world, but it will be great for your Sunday blasts.
18 miles is short though so don't rev it too high until the oil gets warm (wait 5-6 miles minimum for this).
Be warned that R1's are very flighty without a steering damper. I'm speaking from experience here as I've had 2 now (2000 and 2001 editions).
It's a good bike, but quite a bit different to your Katana.
Just take it easy until you get used to it and you will be fine.
Oh one final tip, if you have Dunlop D207RR tyres fitted to it, be warned they take a while to warm up. I know of a load of people on these tyres who have highsided/slid off because they take longer to warm up than quite a few other tyres.

Post an new topic when you've got it and had a bit play, and if you fancy meeting up for a spin let us know.

BTW: Sold my last R1 in September, and I'm onto GSXR1000 now :-)
Old 25 April 2002, 08:27 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,
Cheers for the advice, I did look into year 2 of my insurance and they said that providing I have had no claims or traffic offences they will do a special year 2 insurance rate as part of the deal.
I guess I'll have to get it in writing first.
Can't wait to try the R1, I've spent the most of the night reading reviews on it.
I don't fancy those 3rd gear wheelies much, nor 4th, nor 5th
Old 25 April 2002, 08:30 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Sheepsplitter,
Woking is just around the corner from me (Bagshot), I'll drop you a line when I get myself and my confidence sorted on the bike.
Cheers
Old 25 April 2002, 08:35 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Actually John I'm in West End, so even closer.
I'd be delighted to meet up for a run when you are sorted.

Old 25 April 2002, 09:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

also get a back protector- dont remeber them being that popular 6 years ago so you may not have one (i didnt 6 years ago)

i would NEVER ride on the road without one on (unless you have a spare back!)

Tiggs
Old 25 April 2002, 11:20 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I had a GSX750F, then a ZX6R which I've just sold and now I've got an R1.

The 6R was a great bike but I didn't like all the power being above 8,000rpm with a 14,000rpm redline.

The R1 is just what I wanted. Ample power from 4,000rpm with a 11,750rpm redline.

I find it easier to ride than the 6R and the handling is fantastic (although I have non-standard hyperpro springs and rear damper).

It is more painful on the wrists though but I'm getting used to it.

And I've given it plenty in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it hasn't wheelied yet - you must really have to provoke one.

I've seen new '01 R1s for around £6,300 but remember you'll need an alarm (up to £250), datatag (£80-£100) and a different can if you want to hear anything from it (£300?).

I'm very pleased with mine, just take it easy for a few weeks if you get one.
Old 25 April 2002, 11:36 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Red face

I haven't taken a R1 out for a ride, only my mates ZX6-R. I thought that had a fair amount of power for a 600cc but I wasn't crapping myself when I opened it up.
Neither have I. I used to have a ZX6 and was going to change it for an R1 before one of my best mates died on an R6.

You could go full throttle in 1st on my ZX6 and it wouldn't lift the front wheel (unless you really wanted it to) an R1 will go skyward at 100mph in 4th if you do that !

Be warned, there are loads of dealer stories of guys buying them, keeping it for a day and swapping it for a R6.

Try before you buy!

Muf
Old 26 April 2002, 09:05 AM
CrofterR
Scooby Regular

One of my mates grew up on crossers and he is now hell bent on getting a R6 , he has been banned from driving before and has more points than countdown and yet he will not listen to anybody who doesn't think it's such a great idea. I , his Family and 95% of his friends all are very much against it due to his lack of self restraint in a car but hey what can you do ?

His life - his choice but what are you ment to say to a guy who's a nutter in a car and who you know will be even worst on a Bike ?
Old 26 April 2002, 09:12 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

My mate has an R1

Not too comfortable on long journeys as a pillion, but boy is it FUN
Old 26 April 2002, 09:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

All you can do is hassle him to wear decent gear (i.e. full leathers plus back protector) and get some decent training. The truth about biking is that one day you will fall off, you just hope that you end up OK at the end of it.

I know of a guy that looped his bike at about 40mph (pulling a monster wheelie), he stood up and waved to say he was OK and got hit by a truck. I know of other people that have come off at high speed totally unscathed. If you use your head, you reduce the risk, good gear reduces it a bit more.
Old 26 April 2002, 11:16 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

be warned- if you nail the R1 it may loop- also be warned that if you climb onto the bonnet of scoob at 110mph and leave a trained guinea pig to drive while you do handstands you might get hurt.

whats all this about? if i was a dealer i'd tell the story about peole thinking it was to quick for them- so people would buy it! i cant belive anyone has ridden an R1 and thought it was to fast for them? what sort of nonsense is that? any vehicle will break limits so you drive/ride within them. My legs will allow me to run through the office but to avoid problems i walk- i dont leave my legs at door for safety!

Tiggs
Old 26 April 2002, 11:21 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I used to be able to get my R1s to wheelie off the throttle in 1st (dial in 4000rpm and crack throttle open) and 2nd (dial in 7000rpm and crack throttle).
If you are 'giving it some' in 1st and 2nd and the front doesn't come up then you must have a very sick R1, or you need to stop eating all the pies.
Old 26 April 2002, 12:22 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Try one before you part with ur' cash. Try the Gixer's as well, 750 + 1000. The 750 has the same performance as an R1, and the 1000's are just plain silly (apparantly, as I've never ridden one). However the seating position on the R1 is completely different to the Gixer's, and you might prefer one a lot more than the other.
Suzuki appear to have some kind of insurance thingy running atm, not sure of details, but worth checking.

I was looking at the thou' in Carnell's last Sunday. They are putting them out OTR for 7.8k now. How much is the R1 out of interest? My better half told me to forget it.

Looking at spending a bit on mine, as Im told with exhaust + a few other bits, I could be looking at ~140bhp at the back wheel

Old 26 April 2002, 12:27 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/2/2003 1:20:52 PM]
Old 26 April 2002, 12:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cool, i revise my recomedation as follows:

if you are an adult with common sense and an ability to read a speedo get an R1

if you are a muppet that will cane it from day 1 then do not get an R1- in fact do not get anything at all- stay off the road!

Tiggs
Old 26 April 2002, 01:25 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Have a modded R6 and it still scares me..........................

But remember both the R1 and R6 are quite easy to ride normally within limits. Its when you start pushin the things harder, they go even quicker . Thats where the problem will lie. Are you restrained enough until you get used to it?

Think of not driving a car for 6 years then straight into an STI. How would that feel?

J
Old 26 April 2002, 01:35 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I trained a guy (albeit mature, 32year old) who had never ridden a bike. He got a CBR600, kept it for a year, then upgraded to the R1. He's been OK and not binned it in 4 years. Mind you he's come close a couple of times in the early days, going into roundabouts quicker than he thought he was.
Get used to the handling and the bike will go round most bends even quicker than you thought it could, but panic and it's GAME OVER. It's the same with most bikes, but the R1 does like to stand up mid corner if you have to trail the brakes on entry. Plan ahead, read the road and anticipate correctly and it's a great bike, but it's not very forgiving if you overcook things and don't have the conviction to follow through.
Old 26 April 2002, 03:53 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Question

so whats the law on getting a bike when you first learn. Do you still have to get a 125 then upto 400cc after a period of time or can you pass your test & go for anything you like.
I can ride but havent taken my test, i fancy a 500
Old 26 April 2002, 07:21 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

^Qwerty^,
The bike is £6,495 from a place I can't mention as they only have two left and one of them will hopefully be mine
I'm going to ask if I can take it out for a spin before I buy it just to make up my mind.
I personally don't think that I will have enough restraint not to open it up 'just to see what it can do', but I will try and take it easy until I know it's limits.
Cheers for all your advice, I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.

Old 26 April 2002, 07:27 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

john,

go for a spin by all means BUT- you need to bear in mind that you will learn bugger all!

you wont learn if it fits you because some aches you will get used to and some wont show up on a short test ride anyway.

you wont learn how it handles cause you havent ridden in years and so will probably wobble off up the road like a newbie!

you wont learnt how powerfull it is casue you shouldnt be nailing it anyway (as per loads of these posts)

when i got mine (after 4 years off) i had no test ride- my first 20 yards when i collected it where VERY imbarasing- nearly toppled off it twice! and spent the next 3-4 days pottering around like a fool- then got the hang of it and was sorted!

so dont put to much thought into how the test goes- just buy it!

Tiggs
Old 26 April 2002, 07:38 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Tiggs
Cheers for that very sound advice, I just want to check the riding position really as I'm 6'1.
It's a shame my wife doesn't think like you!
"Just buy it"

Cheers