Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can a school ban......

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2011, 04:18 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can a school ban......

....... certain types of food from the childs lunchbox?

For example my children's primary school doesn't allow anything with eggs or nuts in it. Today my youngest was told by her teacher that she wasn't allowed her chocolate biscuit :roll eyes:

Are they ACTUALLY ALLOWED to enforce this or should they only really be ADVISING you what can or can't be brought in?
Old 21 October 2011, 04:23 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some schools/nurseries do have rules stating no chocolate or no sweets.

I guess by signing up to that school you are signing up to their rules.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

They cannot ban it unless it is a danger to the child or indeed any other child. Our school 'bans' crisps and fizzy drinks from lunchboxes - by that they do not want kids to take in crisps or pop.

is my dear old mum used to say everything in moderation!

My kids take chocolate bars (1 each) in their lunch and i would not stop this as it is not bad for them! they also take fruit, yoghurt/smoothie, sandwich and a cereal bar.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:25 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

As Trout said, they encourage you not to pack sweets and junk but cannot see it is possible to ban products with egg or nuts in
Old 21 October 2011, 04:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As they are acting in loco parentis and they have the resposibility under the childrens act to protect the welfare of the child then they likely have the legal right to restrict food items which might be considered harmful or unhealthy.......

Shaun
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
They cannot ban it unless it is a danger to the child or indeed any other child. Our school 'bans' crisps and fizzy drinks from lunchboxes - by that they do not want kids to take in crisps or pop.

is my dear old mum used to say everything in moderation!

My kids take chocolate bars (1 each) in their lunch and i would not stop this as it is not bad for them! they also take fruit, yoghurt/smoothie, sandwich and a cereal bar.
Yes Paul, everything in moderation. The problem now is kids not exercising enough. I ate loads of crap s a kid but also spent all day running about playing football and climbing trees and i was never fat
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Banned in our local as a couple of kids have severe allergies no big deal really ?
Old 21 October 2011, 04:28 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Chocolate is often banned because of the risk of mess.

Peanuts are usually banned because of the allergy risk.

Yes they can be enforced. Feed your kids sometihng healthy instead, take the hint
Old 21 October 2011, 04:31 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

God forbid a kid has a biscuit tel , hardly makes him a bad parent or a fat kid.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:34 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I make sure my kids have a well balanced diet, but that isn't the issue here.

All I want to know is can a school LEGALLY ban and enforce the ban of certain foods?
Old 21 October 2011, 04:36 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No but the thread is intimating that the school are going to be taken to task over a perfectly reasonable and understandable policy. Hometime treat - sure. School lunch, just abide by the rules, it won't hurt anybody.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There was a documentary on C4 a while ago where a school had banned unhealthy food.

They filmed fat chavvy parents feeding their kids burgers through the school fence!!

Now there is an example of child abuse.

Back to the core topic I am sure school can and do ban certain foods. A school has no legal obligation to take your child and when you sign up to the school you sign up to their policies.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The op should be banned for using blue text
Old 21 October 2011, 04:42 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
No but the thread is intimating that the school are going to be taken to task over a perfectly reasonable and understandable policy. Hometime treat - sure. School lunch, just abide by the rules, it won't hurt anybody.
Not at all. I have no issues with bans etc if they are reasonable. I understand the nut ban, but eggs, I mean come on.
I do abide by the rules which ADVISE substituting treats with fruit
One of my issues is that if the teachers/dinner time staff have an issue with what is in my childs lunch box then I expect them to speak to me, the parent, and not send a message via my 6 year old daughter.
Old 21 October 2011, 04:43 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
The op should be banned for using blue text
Old 21 October 2011, 04:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Chocolate is often banned because of the risk of mess.

Peanuts are usually banned because of the allergy risk.

Yes they can be enforced. Feed your kids something healthy instead, take the hint
again all things in moderation, peanuts and chocolate also good source of both simple and complex carbs along with fats which the body needs - in moderation! good for energy and attention/alertness especially in the low period after lunch or a break for instance. It is not always about a treat but the right foods at the right times.

as for the mess, kids make mess - Period! the trick is to teach them to clean it up, chocolate brushes or can be wiped off, how else will kids learn...

Last edited by The Zohan; 21 October 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 21 October 2011, 07:48 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
again all things in moderation, peanuts and chocolate also good source of both simple and complex carbs along with fats which the body needs - in moderation! good for energy and attention/alertness especially in the low period after lunch or a break for instance. It is not always about a treat but the right foods at the right times.

as for the mess, kids make mess - Period! the trick is to teach them to clean it up, chocolate brushes or can be wiped off, how else will kids learn...
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old 21 October 2011, 08:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the school would be within it's rights to ask you to remove your child at lunchtime, should you refuse to comply with any of their rules.

That's how they would enforce it. They are NOT legally required to have your child on the premises during the luch break.
Old 21 October 2011, 08:11 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Its all bollocks!
Old 21 October 2011, 08:24 PM
muttleyturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Banned in our local as a couple of kids have severe allergies no big deal really ?
+1 same in most place I thought
Old 21 October 2011, 08:45 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart69
Its all bollocks!
Indeed. I see where they are coming from but how many times when we were at school did the kid allergic to nuts pinch your Marathon?

We made cup cakes and chocolate krispy cakes to bribe fellow classmates into voting for our daughter to school council. She wasnt allowed to give them out for health and saftey reasons. Again how many times did you get food poisoning from cakes brought in by others?

Yet the young LSAs with no children of their own and just out of college can make the same krispy cakes we made and its ok? Like they are less likely to poison the children? I said are you sure they dont contain nuts jokingly and she was all of course I'll get the packet. Packet said may contain nuts she just shrugged and said oh.

Before long the kids will have to eat in isolation.
Old 21 October 2011, 09:15 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just checked - our kids school does not allow sweets.

It is enforceable as when our kids started we had to sign a parent contract and the kids had to sign a pupil contract. It basically said we would follow school rules as they chose to enforce.

I believe this is a standard process so you might find yourself bound by the same construct.
Old 21 October 2011, 09:20 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Schools have the right to set rules - and, whether you like it or not, you should adhere to them, or what example are you settting your kids to cheerfully undermine authority.

No wonder our society's values are so shot
Old 21 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

It is enforceable as when our kids started we had to sign a parent contract and the kids had to sign a pupil contract.

WTF? We never signed a contract when our kids went to school, we just dropped them off at the gate.

Do your kids go to Eton?
Old 21 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

And Yes it's all total bollocks
Old 21 October 2011, 09:39 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
WTF? We never signed a contract when our kids went to school, we just dropped them off at the gate.

Do your kids go to Eton?
Are you sure?

PS They go to the local primary school - we live where it's posh so no need to fork out for school fees!
Old 22 October 2011, 12:20 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

should be able to feed your child whatever you like IMO if you are happy to give it to your child who are they to argue with a parents choice it's all got to over the top now
Old 22 October 2011, 12:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Is this rubbish still rumbling on. My kids school tried this on years ago, (my youngest is 17)
I took no notice. Granted they only got a chocolate bar of some kind, for pudding. But, they are my kids and it was my choice. They are both fit and healthy and not a pick of fat on either of them. The school didn't police the lunch boxes and nothing was said
Oh and they both did sports and are very competitive. I suppose that's not allowed now, either.
Old 22 October 2011, 01:23 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Is this rubbish still rumbling on.

Yes it is

One of my kids favourite sandwiches is egg mayo and they're not allowed it due to an egg ban
My kids usually have in their lunchbox, Butties, a piece of fruit, a fromage frais and a small choc biscuit. They've had this since they started that school 3 years ago! Now all of a sudden they are getting shouted at for having a choc biscuit! My kids too don't have a ounce of fat on them either. I suspect the hot dinners they serve are more unhealthy than the lunchbox I send in with them!
Old 22 October 2011, 02:12 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What has this country come to eh,when i was at school we had those bloody big Gobstoppers,and i loved jam sandwiches ,we also had sports days etc and a thing called PE to burn off the calories.btw some smoothies can be just as bad full of sugar.
Type in the schools name on google,it might show under schools healthy eating policy,what about any official letter has been sent to you,or contact the school governors.

As for the original question..I don't know

Quick Reply: Can a school ban......