Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Info needed regarding private parking

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2011, 10:12 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info needed regarding private parking

Ok I live in one of two topfloor flats in a block of 8.

We are situated with our own car park, off the road, which is constantly filled with parked cars. It becomes a pain as they can park so close to our entrance, it usually means having to carefully turn in, incase an accident happens.

Anyway, the block and car park are 4.5 years old now and in the time, we've had about half a dozen cars park here who neither live here or are visiting someone who does. We usually write out a not stating private parking and have for maybe a couple years now, had 2 signs fixed to the entrance way, stating "Private Parking".

We now have another guy thinking he can park here. First time he parked here I wasn't entirely sure if he was from outside so left leaving a note. I noticed after 2 days, he'd been out during the night and moved the car.

The car disappeared the next day and soon afterwards, I spotted it parked up the street...okayyyy.

So he parked here again, note was put on car. Seen him getting the car, note was crumpled and thrown on ground and now he's parked here again...it has another note on it.

I'm now curious as to what i can do next? If we let one idiot park without hassle, we'll have them all parking on our land! I'm not being a snob, but we paid good money to stay here and parking is bad enough at the best of times!
Old 22 October 2011, 10:16 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Can't you put a gate/barrier across the entrance to control access?
Old 22 October 2011, 10:23 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

It would cost a lot, create a lot of hassle and for all the number of people who shouldn't park here, would it really be worth it?

I'll still run it past the other residents.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:28 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

As it is block of private flats, is there not a management company that looks after the whole development. If so, you could contact them so that they can deal with it, they are paid to handle these kinds of situations.

Failing that, wallpaper paste your note to their window or block them in with your car if there is room. They'll soon get the message.

Last edited by jonc; 22 October 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:32 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Putting a gate in was the only thing that solved the problem where I live. Yes it was expensive but it also helps with the security for your own property and cars.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:33 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jonc
As it is block of private flats, is there not a management company that looks after the whole development. If so, you could contact them so that they can deal with it, they are paid to handle these kinds of situations.

Failing that, wallpaper paste your note to their window or block them in with your car if there is room. They'll soon get the message.
When people started using our company car park for off road parking, the management team glued NO Parking stickers to their windscreens. Right in the drivers eye line.

They were absolute buggers to get off and funnily people stopped using our car park after that.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:45 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Confront him if you see him and ask him why he is parking in your car park?
Old 22 October 2011, 10:47 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

We don't have a management company looking after the place. We do it all ourselves.

Have some wallpaper paste somewhere I'm sure, so will give that a try.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:48 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
When people started using our company car park for off road parking, the management team glued NO Parking stickers to their windscreens. Right in the drivers eye line.

They were absolute buggers to get off and funnily people stopped using our car park after that.
Seen that before, really hard to get off the screen + they were big too so covered most of the screen!

TX.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:58 AM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

My parents have a similar problem with a private road up to their house with a larger area at the bottom with some garages and a large turning area - all inside the entrance to the private road...irrelelvant I know, but just setting the scene. They had a similar problem with people parking their cars overnight in this area.

They got so fed up that they start to block the cars in, and when the person complained they said they wouldn't be able to move their car for a couple of hours as they were busy. One person did call the police, but since it was private land the police couldn't make them move their cars. The problem still occasionally pop's up, but the cars eventually get blocked in, and it stops again for a while. Not sure if someone couldn't take them to court, but it's never happened. The "PRIVATE ROAD" signs are prominent on the entrance-way on both sides of the entrance wall.

The best time was when everyone paid to get the road re-surfaced and some drains repaired. Everyone on the street knew about it, and knew they wouldn't be able to use the road for 4 days so if they wanted to get out they had to leave their cars on the road outside. That night 3 people decided to park their cars on the private road, only to return in the morning to find a ditch dug accross the entrance and up the road, and their cars stuck for the 2 days it took to repair the drains.
Old 22 October 2011, 11:48 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

If there is no CCTV covering the car park then the world is your oyster.

..and when I say oyster I probably mean Nitromors.
Old 22 October 2011, 11:56 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

expanding foam up the back box job done
Old 22 October 2011, 12:00 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

We ended up getting a sliding electric gate fitted not cheap, but in the end the only way for us to keep the " i can park where I want brigade" out (but we hade 28 flats to split the bill £10k). So a manual gate is probably better for you. look at gerda type locks so more difficult to get copy keys (unless you are the owner). Or maybe those lock up posts so when your out no one can get in the space. http://www.workproductsdirect.com/sh...on=full&id=316

Last edited by Ray T; 22 October 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: extra
Old 22 October 2011, 12:25 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc

My dad used to do this he was once arrested (made to come to police station) but they had to let him off due to lack of evidence), also never forget they know your car and where you live, you don't know who they are and where they live!

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns

see above, the problem is there is always a constant influx of new morons you can not teach every one a lesson (like middle lane cruisers!)

Originally Posted by Ray T
We ended up getting a sliding electric gate fitted not cheap, but in the end the only way for us to keep the " i can park where I want brigade" out (but we hade 28 flats to split the bill £10k). So a manual gate is probably better for you. look at gerda type locks so more difficult to get copy keys (unless you are the owner). Or maybe those lock up posts so when your out no one can get in the space. http://www.workproductsdirect.com/sh...on=full&id=316
posts are a waste of time unless you pay £300 for one and even then you have to dig down dig down about 12" and incase in concrete otherwise a quick bumper tap will knock them over.

the only solution is a gate, nothing else will work .....FACT!
Old 22 October 2011, 12:40 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!

posts are a waste of time unless you pay £300 for one and even then you have to dig down dig down about 12" and incase in concrete otherwise a quick bumper tap will knock them over.

the only solution is a gate, nothing else will work .....FACT!
We have mole posts on our drive (due to previous cars being stolen) and paid nothing like £300, they are very sturdy and heavy, would recommend them.
Old 22 October 2011, 02:44 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help folks.

Will see how things progress.
Old 22 October 2011, 04:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Potato in the exhaust... Super glue the locks, nails in the tyres...
Old 22 October 2011, 05:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

TX.
Old 22 October 2011, 06:24 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Big bat taken to cars windscreen should stop him coming back

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
That is so wrong in many ways lol.
Old 22 October 2011, 07:37 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
We have mole posts on our drive (due to previous cars being stolen) and paid nothing like £300, they are very sturdy and heavy, would recommend them.
Are they made of concrete ? Bolted to the floor?

have you hit one with your car yet?
Old 22 October 2011, 09:09 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

They're made of metal and drop into the ground, they can't have been that hard to fit either because my other half did the two of them in a day. When the cars are on the drive we pull the posts up and padlock them. Haven't hit them yet, been there five years now.
Old 22 October 2011, 11:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anytime you get folk parking there, go out and talk to them about it. Much less hassle and much nicer than a lot of the suggestions here. I know it has happened before and it might be annoying you, but the new people parking there don't know that.
Old 22 October 2011, 11:31 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

Put a sign up stating unauthorised cars will be clamped and a high release fee. Make it look official and you may find that will put most morons off.
Old 23 October 2011, 09:31 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

It's illegal to clamp cars in this country now

We have this problem on our work car park regularly, we usually just box the offending car in, then tell them the owner of the blocking car is out, and won't be back until 5:30 ish

More often than not it sems to be asian women, who invariably then call their husbands, who then usually need the CCTV cameras highlighting to them before they calm down and agree their wives are fcukwits