Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Premiership twists and turns again...

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2002, 06:41 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations to Spurs for providing a banana skin for one of our title contenders to slip up on.

Now need Bolton to do the biz at the Reebok on Monday, and the Premiership will be back to its usual shape, with the mighty Man Utd. favourites to win the title.

You know it's going to happen....

<Flame Suit On>
Old 27 April 2002, 06:51 PM
yoza
BANNED

Angry

Not happy
A little bit more cheerful than at 1 oclock coz Ive had a couple of tinnies.
Just watchin them mancs cheating again... ba5t4rd5[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 27 April 2002, 11:36 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Yeah, right.

Of course, it's a well known fact the Man Utd players are the ONLY players to take a dive.
And defenders NEVER give attackers little shoves in the back in the penalty area.
And ever title United have won over the last decade has been the result of cheating, 'cause there's a massive conspiracy within the FA to get Man Utd to win every year. This is also why Man Utd are near the top of the Fair Play table, and Arsenal, for example, are near the bottom. It's OBVIOUS that this has nothing to do with the way the teams play, 'cause everybody KNOWS that Man Utd cheat.

Get real.
Get that chip off your shoulder.
And start talking sense.
Old 28 April 2002, 01:45 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, United get all the decisions

Heard a joke on the radio a while back about united getting loads of penalites and someone rang in and calmly told the bloke all the statistics from that season, United had been awarded less penaltys than anyone else, that didnt half shut the presenter up...

I agree he made the most of it, and Ipswich should of had a few decisions there way, but there was definetly some shoving.
Old 28 April 2002, 04:13 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Up the Villa
Up the Villa
Up the Villa
Up the Villa
Up the Villa
Up the Villa

I live in hope
Old 28 April 2002, 11:11 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Typical response of a Man Utd hater. No facts, just opinionated bull$#it.

I say "Of course, it's a well known fact the Man Utd players are the ONLY players to take a dive".
You respond "the Man Utd supporter says everyone else is wrong and it wasn't a dive and Man Utd are just perfect".

Where exactly did I say any of that? Can you actually read? If you are going to respond to my comments, would you please actually read what they are first. I'm not surprised I sound like "any other Man Utd supporter" - you just listen to the voice in your head, and not to what people are ACTUALLY SAYING!

For the record - I think United were VERY LUCKY to get the penalty awarded. I'm not saying it was a dive (although I'm not saying it wasn't). I've seen penalties given for less, and I've seen penalties not given for more blatant fouls. I therefore DON'T think "everybody else" is wrong (although I'm interested to know how you've managed to poll the opinion of at least a representative cross section of the community within such a short space of time. Or is "Everybody Else" just a synonym for "my fellow Man Utd haters"?
But I also think that if Utd HADN'T got the penalty, they would still have ultimately won the game. And that even if Ipswich had drawn the game (or even won it), they would STILL go down, because I can't see them getting any result at Anfield other than a good thrashing, whereas Sunderland have a REALLY tough tie at home to Derby .

Man Utd are NOT perfect. (When we get our defence sorted - then we'll be perfect )
We went through a dire period before Christmas which means we will be VERY LUCKY to win the Premiership this year. However, the fact that we are still in with a chance despite a period with one win in 7 games shows how well we've done for the rest of the season.

Arsenal are on a storming run of form. Their football has been breathtaking at times, especially their forward play and midfield creativity. If that form continues, they will win the title and they will deserve it, because over the course of the season they will have been the better team.

But I still think Man United are the better team. Why? BECAUSE I'M A MAN UTD SUPPORTER AND THAT'S MY JOB!
Old 28 April 2002, 11:19 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Angry

Arsenal at the bottom of the fair play league. Yep, 'cos they get the bookings they deserve. The red b*stards on the other hand get away with f*cking everything. Van Nistlerooy's response in the interview afterwards confirmed it.

Those cheating red b*stard's season would be over if it wasn't for a couple of sick penalty decisions and a fluke deflection.

Makes me f*cking sick.
Old 28 April 2002, 11:28 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

dharbige - I'm not having a pop mate, it just frustrates me. You just can't deny that UTD get more decisions then they don't.

Old 28 April 2002, 12:34 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Of course I can. I do deny it. Absolutely 100%.

As a United fan, I think every decision should go their way. Every time they don't get a decision in their favour, it annoys me. It happens every game - several times per game.
And every time the opposition get a decision in their favour, that annoys me too. And they seem to get lots of dubious decisions, every single game.

But I'm honest enough to realise that the reason I feel this way is because I'm supporting MY team, and my perspective of the game is naturally biased. This isn't because I'm a Man Utd supporter - I'm sure it's the same for every supporter of every team.

You, on the other hand, as another obvious Man Utd Hater, see things from the opposite perspective. You will naturally prostitute your support to whichever team Utd are playing against, and so will always see Utd as the villains, wrongly getting decisions in their favour etc.

You're just not smart/honest enough to realise that your perspective is also very, very biased.

[Edited to add a smilie to (hopefully) show I don't mean to be too insulting]

[Edited by dharbige - 4/28/2002 12:36:35 PM]
Old 28 April 2002, 12:51 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well said.
Old 28 April 2002, 12:57 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

I dont agree that United get any more decisions than they should, I've lost count of how many times I've been to old trafford and spent the whole game cursing at the referee for making stupid decisions...
Old 28 April 2002, 01:26 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That is the joy of Football Ladies and Gentlemen

THE BIGGEST RELIGION IN THE WORLD

Come all ye faithful

Dave a red b@stard and lovin it
Old 28 April 2002, 01:36 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

One thing I will say -

Even if Arsenal DO win the title, this season has been the best for years. A three way title race going into the last few games, in the best league in the world - football just doesn't get any better than this.
Old 28 April 2002, 02:04 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

dharbige,

May I draw your attenion to my reply to fastbloke in a previous thread when accused similarly:

"Fastbloke - Another good point and I accept when United are playing, by default I support the opposition. This is because I am a City fan from Manchester and we have this thing called rivalry."

Stu.

Alright Dave.......you red b*stard

Old 28 April 2002, 02:24 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Kippax,

No problem. I'm not objecting to your position as a Man Utd Hater. It's your choice.
I was objecting to your refering to Man Utd as "cheating red b*stard[s]", and was contending your statement that I could not deny that Man U. get more decisions for them than against them.

Changing the subject slightly, I'm quite glad that City have made their bi-annual trip to the Premiership again for next season. It just means Utd have another easy 6 points...

Old 28 April 2002, 02:37 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Hmm I notice all these people complaining about united getting a debatable penalty decision didn't see fit to post about the West Ham goal that wasn't allowed when the ball clearly crossed the Arsenal goal line on wednesday night. Or the fact that Liverpool defender Henchoz deliberatley used his hands twice to deny Arsenal clear goal scoring opportunities in last years FA cup final (he even admitted it in interviews afterwards) But then that wouldn't support the myth that all officials and the FA want to hand the title to united would it? There are numerous examples of debatable decisions made by referees but only those that seem to benefit united are debated in public with such passion - in wonder why that is?

>>>> I just hope Ipswich are not relegated on this result as that will be totally out of order.
Erm, since when did a single game result in any team being relegated? If Ipswich do get relegated then it will be because they have not won enough of their 38 league games they will have played at the end of the season to justify their Premiership status.

>>>> Those cheating red b*stard's season would be over if it wasn't for a couple of sick penalty decisions and a fluke deflection. Makes me f*cking sick.
Nice to know you care so much about us mate Here's hoping we get a few "dodgy" decisions against you in the derby!
Old 28 April 2002, 03:08 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I love these threads with the obligatory "6 points in the derby's next season", positioned delicately at the end of each response.
As long as its understood that that's as potentially upsetting as calling you home counties boys armchair reds (FM excepted).
Old 28 April 2002, 03:20 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

UP THE VILLA

By the way, how many of you Red Fans were born in Manchester????
Old 28 April 2002, 04:22 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I was born in Manchester (well, Oldham if I'm completely honest, but that's Greater Manchester ), and have been a United fan since I was 6.

I don't see why I should stop supporting Man U., just because I don't live there anymore.

[Edited by dharbige - 4/28/2002 4:22:53 PM]
Old 28 April 2002, 04:25 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Did I say you should stop supporting them????

You are a proper united fan then good

I grew up in a school where all united fans had never been to Manchester, it really annoyed me.

I had a Villa season ticket up until three years ago. Work commitments and college commitments got in the way (and I am boycotting Ellis, ELLIS OUT!!!!)

Cheers,

Michelle
Old 28 April 2002, 04:38 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Red face

In no way WHATSOEVER am I sticking up for Man Urinal, but I think we should start looking at the people giving the decisions rather than whinging at the teams???

Didn't we see this happening in the glory days of Liverpool with "The Kop Penalty"?????

I am a qualified referee and have to admit that sometimes decisions that are made by Premiership refs are beyind me!!!!
Old 28 April 2002, 04:48 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

It's amazing how you can twist the facts to fit your conclusions.

Fact: Man Utd are near the top of the Fair Play table.
Fact: Arsenal are near the bottom.

Possible Conclusion 1: Man Utd play more fair than Arsenal.
Possible Conclusion 2: Man Utd are cheats who get away with murder; there is an FA conspiracy that favours Man Utd; Referees pick on Arsenal players

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? The anti-United bias is so obvious as to make your arguments laughable!
Old 28 April 2002, 04:57 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Chelle,

I'm sure that you would agree that all "refereeing" decisions are easier with the benefit of several camera angles and instant slow motion replays.
Referees not perfect, and they do get decisions wrong, but they have to make them in a split second with only one look at an incident.

Being a Premiership referee doesn't mean that you are infallible - it just means that you are very experienced, and very fit.

Anyway, almost totally off topic, but as a qualified referee I have a question for you -
Why is a late challenge on a striker who has taken a shot on goal not considered a foul? I see it all the time (and not just for Man Utd ) - a striker gets clattered/brought down just AFTER he has taken a shot; the shot misses/is saved, but no foul is given for the late challenge.
Anywhere else on the pitch and it would be a free kick, and possible booking.

Why is that?
Old 28 April 2002, 05:04 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Okay, I can't answer for all referees as you must know that each decision is made in a split second.

(If you want to be become a quick decision maker, become a referee )

Your point about slow motion replays etc I would like to see introduced into professional refereeing. There is nothing worse than seeing a goal disallowed when on an action replay it actually DID cross the line.

With regards to your question, if I saw a late challenge that IMO contravened the laws of the FA then I would take action accordingly.

I know exactly what you mean and have been bewildered by the lack of action taken.

On the actual pitch you have limited views. In junior football you cannot rely at all on your *linesmen* as they are usually parents and not exactly the most non-biased of people
In a professional match you have neutral *linesmen* and can rely on them, but all the same, they too have limited views. the only thing I can think of is that in the view of the referee and *linesmen* the tackle did not look as severe as it did on camera.

Does that help?
Old 28 April 2002, 05:18 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

Once again, you have demonstrated your ability to judge me as a Man Utd fan by opinion in your head, and not on the evidence in front of you.

In this very thread, earlier today, I wrote "I think United were VERY LUCKY to get the penalty awarded".

Guess you missed that, did you?

Oh, and I said it was my job as a supporter to think of Man Utd as the better team, not to think that every decision given for them is correct.

Quick Reply: The Premiership twists and turns again...